East Bay Meetup - Dec 10 in Oakland?

East Bay Meetup - Dec 10 in Oakland?

J. MartinPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes

It’s time to schedule (another) meet up in the East Bay! I recently had the pleasure of meeting quite a few fellow BP investors in San Francisco, and had a great time enjoying some drinks and learning from everyone’s different approach/strategy/mindset. I believe Andy Kaufman arranged the last East Bay meetup (I was not there), but I’d like to join in and start another. (I’m going to post this on the old thread too) Hopefully we could make it a regular thing. Please post if you are interested!

I’m proposing to meet in Oakland at the Trappist (bar), about 4 blocks from the 12th St Oakland BART station in early December – Tuesday, December 10? I’m proposing this location due to its central proximity in travel time from many areas within the Bay, and the number/frequency of BART trains. The bar is a pretty good size (‘good for groups’ on Yelp) and has a great beer selection! (and other drinks and food). Not too close to either of the holidays..

BART travel times to 12th St Oakland :

San Francisco, Embarcadero - 11min

Berkeley – 11min

Walnut Creek – 23min

Daly City – 29min

Fremont – 36min

Below are some local folks I thought might be interested. Please post on here if you would like to come, and if you can come on Tues, December 10 from 6:30-9PM (or as late as you want to stay). If you would like to come, but cannot make that date, state if you can do it on the 11th or 12th instead (or some other date if necessary). If you know someone else who might be interested, please tag them also so they can get a notification.

@Andy Kaufman , @Sarah Lam , @Michaela G. , @Johnson H. , @Adam Hofmann , @Arron Sweeney , @Peter K. , @Sam Magi , @Joe C , @Amit , @Jay Dao , @Bri R. @Denise Madrid , @Jaren Barnes , @Jessica Yau , @Ralph E. , @Bill Bockwoldt , @Minh L. , @Jimmy Tu , @Tosin Olatunbosun

Obviously, many of my tags did not work. I tried! I swear! Hope to see lots of folks out there!

I’m also going to add some ‘keywords’ to the bottom of this post for those locals who have keyword alerts for their area:

Keywords: East Bay , Bay Area , Meetup , Meet up , Meet-up , San Francisco , Oakland , Berkeley , Alameda County , Contra Costa County , Solano County , Richmond , Hercules Concord Albany Pittsburgh Marin San Rafael South Bay Peninsula

0
Topic locked
242 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Concord, CA · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 5 votes
12y

@J Martin this was a great success. To have so many people show up is always great. Learnt so much just talking to so many people who have been doing this for so long. Thank you for organizing!
@Minh L. Thank you for sharing your success stories. It was a pleasure meeting you
@Joey nice meeting you as well. Best wishes in the split business venture. Do keep in touch if you have any property in the Hayward/bay area
@Amit M. Thank you very much for your advice on the purchase. I look forward to our next meet up so i we can talk more about your success stories.
@Denise and @Chris all the best with the property. I will keep in touch if i know someone looking for residential property in Oak.

3
Topic locked
See this reply in the discussion

64 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Oakland, CA · Member since 2012 · 26 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    Yes!

    1
    Topic locked
  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 10 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    I am definitely interested. I'm fairly new to Bigger Pockets and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

    1
    Topic locked
  • Marietta, GA · Member since 2013 · 202 posts · 118 votes
    12y

    I am in!

    Is there safe parking nearby?

    Oh since it's dinner time do they serve food or should we eat before we get there?

    1
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2012 · 28 posts · 17 votes
    12y

    Please count me in also. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

    1
    Topic locked
  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Kevin Auyong ,

    Welcome! I have not parked down there before because I ride BART typically, but the following website says there is a 24hr parking garage on the same block at 459 8th St: http://oaklandparking.spplus.com/Oakland-459-8th-Street-Parking.html

    I haven't been to the bar before either!.. but have been meaning to try it. 4.5 stars on yelp, does have food, and according to a recent posting, "Incredible beer selection and really solid hearty pub food"
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-trappist-oakland?nb=1

    @Ken Lau , @Tim Garcia , @DANIEL SHEPSTONE , welcome to BP also, and to the meetup! Sounds like it will be a full crowd. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

    What: East Bay BP Meetup

    When: Tuesday, December 10th, 2013 - 6:30PM to 9ish

    Where: The Trappist bar, 460 8th St Oakland, 94607 - Food & Beer

    Get There: BART to 12th St/Civic Center Oakland & walk down Broadway to decreasing-numbered streets at 8th St.

    Parking at 459 8th St, or other garages nearby here:
    http://oaklandparking.spplus.com/Oakland-459-8th-Street-Parking.html

    0
    Topic locked
  • Oakland, CA · Member since 2012 · 26 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    Thanks for the welcome. The Trappist is a great place btw.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Specialist · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 817 votes
    12y

    @J. Martin , I didn't realize this until today when I saw the post but the 2nd Tuesday of the Month is Bay Area Private Money/Real Estate Meetup in San Jose. They have 50+ member meetings in San Jose. I will be attending those. Most REI clubs meet on Tues/Wednesday in the area I suggest we shoot for either Mondays or Thursdays in the future.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Southern CA · Member since 2013 · 86 posts · 41 votes
    12y

    Tagging @Mitul Patel who is interested in meeting up too =)

    Mitul, look ab

    1
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Santa Cruz, CA · Member since 2009 · 267 posts · 73 votes
    12y

    I will definitely be attending. Look forward to meeting local BPers!

    1
    Topic locked
  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 69 posts · 68 votes
    12y

    Hello J et al,
    I'm a little late to the thread, however I would be thrilled to join/connect with you all.

    Cheers,
    Cory

    1
    Topic locked
  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Cory T. , you're not too late! You're actually a few days early! Come out and meet everyone.

    @Joey Budka , welcome also. Saw you on some forums earlier..

    @Troy Fisher , thanks for the head's up. The day of the week doesn't matter much to me, so we can try Wed/Thurs whatever next time if folks from the South Bay want to come.. Also, we're up to about 20 now I think. Any tips for the meeting you can pm me? I was going to bring some name tags, and maybe have everyone rearrange seating every 30min or so, so that everyone can meet some different people..?

    I'll see you all soon!

    What: East Bay BP Meetup

    When: Tuesday, December 10th, 2013 - 6:30PM to 9ish

    Where: The Trappist bar, 460 8th St Oakland, 94607 - Food & Beer

    Get There: BART to 12th St/Civic Center Oakland & walk down Broadway to decreasing-numbered streets at 8th St.

    Parking at 459 8th St, or other garages nearby here:http://oaklandparking.spplus.com/Oakland-459-8th-Street-Parking.html

    0
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    both of those are great ideas- name tags and playing musical chairs :)

    1
    Topic locked
  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2013 · 66 posts · 21 votes
    12y

    @J. Martin - Hey J. Not sure if i can make it yet so I haven't replied yet on the thread. I'll do my best to make it and please keep me in mind for future East Bay Meetups. It was great grabbing a couple extra beers and chatting with you about your investment strategy at the SF meetup. Hope I get to chat w/ you again this week otherwise i'll see you at the next get together.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 59 posts · 14 votes
    12y

    Hello all!

    I'm interested in attending. I may arrive late.

    1
    Topic locked
  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2013 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Would love to go, but out of town until the 12th. Please keep me posted about the next meetup and thanks for arranging!

    1
    Topic locked
  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Looking forward to meeting/seeing everyone this evening!

    0
    Topic locked
  • CA · Member since 2013 · 19 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Sorry guys, but dont think I will be able to make it.

    1
    Topic locked
  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    I'm just pasting the details one last time so everyone has it handy if they're checking here for location/directions. I'll see you all soon! Cheers!~

    What: East Bay BP Meetup

    When: Today, Tuesday, December 10th, 2013 - 6:30PM to 9ish

    Where: The Trappist bar, 460 8th St Oakland, 94607 - Food & Beer

    Get There: BART to 12th St/Civic Center Oakland & walk down Broadway to decreasing-numbered streets at 8th St.

    Parking at 459 8th St, or other garages nearby here:

    1
    Topic locked
  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    @Joey Budka

    Are you going to be show up for the meet up tonight?

    1
    Topic locked
  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Great meetup everyone! Thanks to everyone who came out to share their thoughts with the rest of us, have some tasty beer, and withstood the chill of the patio to chat with some good people! I'm thinking about Wed, Jan 15th for the next one in a similar location near BART. Continue "monitoring" this forum for details on the next meetup.. Some shout-outs below (and BP "votes" for those I had the opportunity to have some good conversations with), and some forgotten, but it was great meeting everyone!

    @Bill Bockwoldt , was nice talking to you again, and thanks for the tip on the attic fan for temperature difference issues. I'm looking at options, and might use a combination of that and great stuff in any little cracks, light fixtures etc to reduce the flow of air from the room to the attic. It's just when it's really cold. But amazing that it's actually enough condensation to drip.. One of those weird things you deal with as a landlord! (damn you a thousand times moisture!)

    @Michaela Graham , I always enjoy your forums/posts and wanted to talk to you more! With so many people, I get distracted easily and didn't get a chance to circle back around. Hopefully next time, and out on the forums until then! I'm bad about voting for people, but your posts always remind me!

    @Jaren Barnes, it was good talking to you again. Bring me an offmarket 2-4 unit in Richmond below 8 GRM so I can put some $ in your pocket! Let me know where to send pre-approval and loan broker contact info if you think you can find me one..

    @Ralph E. , I barely even got a chance to say hi this time (and just a little last time also).. Third time is a charm!? I'll be sure to chat with you then, and on the forums of course..

    @Denise Alberto and @Chris Music , let me know how everything goes on the flip.. Did you get an expensive bottle of champagne to pop yet? (Sometimes I wait to see how much I make before deciding which to buy lol). I really like the look of the place and the layout after you took out that wall. Good luck, and hope you get to pop a bottle soon! ps I get very animated sometimes around cool peeps! ;)

    @Sam Magi , congrats on the close! Besides enjoying some champagne, I like to have a wonderfully delicious and pretty expensive meal.. Somehow just tastes that much better! Interested to hear how it all goes over time.. I'll send you some numbers on the types of deals that I've been prospecting for over here and we can chat. Send me a message as a reminder, and I'll give you my phone number. (I'm always nervous about getting some crazy spam posting it publicly online. Does anyone know of an easy/free phone number service that can give me a new local "throw down" phone number to forward straight to my cell? In case I need to ditch the number without changing my cell number?

    @Jessica Yau , it was nice chatting with you about your property.. Would have liked to hear more! Over time.. I'm jealous, you bought in an area I've had my eye on for a long time! With all said and done, I'm happy with everything I have up here. But I'm almost certain I will own a property in West Oakland in the next decade - as an investment, or possibly even (gasp!) a primary residence! Good luck with the rents/tenants, and don't forget the power of picking up the phone and calling around to ask questions about what you can do. Amazing how friendly and informative people can be when you're not the 10th person to yell at them today!

    @Arron Sweeney , I thought I saw you early, then did I miss you later? Or am I tripping? Anyway, hopefully I'll get a chance to talk to you next time!

    @Cory T. . , Nice meeting you, and sorry I couldn't talk to you more also. So do rents go up in Palm Spring in the winter as the temperature plummets further past the arctic freeze we're experiencing? ! Maybe I'll talk to you about renting it someday in the off-season next time I have a job down in the Palm Springs area. (But erratic and infrequent when I am down there..) I was almost going to challenge you to a tennis match! ..but I was only at a modest proficiency when I last played a match a year or so ago, so I don't think you want to play tennis ball pickup for an hour! lol Good luck, and rake it in while it's freezing!

    @Andy Kaufman , was nice talking to you, but again just not quite enough time.. Post on this thread or message me when you decide to put together the work group thing you were talking about.. Interested in hearing more.. And thanks for coming through on the nametags!!

    @Amit M. , it was nice hearing from an SF investor and sounds like things are going as they go in SF... up!! You're so right about the city's laws and systems, condo lottery, rent control, ellis act, etc etc create a crazy world, and potential windows of opportunity for value creation.. if you get the golden ticket!! (well it's up anyway, but much higher if you can hit the lotto.) I wasn't aware that they switch the system, so maybe more of those opportunities are gone now..

    @Minh L. , last but not least! It was a pleasure staying late to talk to someone who can really hold their own on their knowledge of real estate, metrics, financing, and strategy. And the two "C's" that were evading us were the most obvious! Cash flow & collateral! Don't be afraid to shop around on your variable rate loans.. If I had deeper pockets or in a few years, I might think about it more, but still lovin' the 30yr fixed at these rates.. I'd have to cry if I started prepaying or paid off my 3.25%.. lol I think I have a job down in the Monterey area in Q1, and maybe something on the peninsula later.. I'll get ahold of you and see what you're up to next time I'm around in your neighborhood..

    It's a small world that @Johnson H. introduced me to this site a while back after we met in our 9-5's. I haven't hopped on the out-of-state bandwagon yet, but the headline numbers look good! (Would be interested to hear how things are going in Phoenix & Houston Johnson. - let me know next time you're working in FiDi and let's have lunch! Meeting up with your colleague Benn Dickson next week..)

    @Joey Budka, if you get any MF inventory in Richmond in the 6-8 GRM range, or with lots of upside in rents/ value creation / turnaround, let me know. No MF turnkey for me..

    I know there were more people there that I met and spoke with, but my mind is mush and eyes blurry at this time of night.. And someone bought me a beer, but can't remember who! Thank you! Owe you one next time ;)

    Ken, Tim, Kevin, Daniel, Melvin, and everyone else I'm missing, there's never enough time (even after leaving later than 11PM!). More next time!

    Everyone was tagged, then everyone went untagged when I tried to make an edit to one paragraph. Now I can't have more than 1 tagged person at a time. I have this problem all the time when I tag multiple people in the same post, so I'll save my 1 tag for @Joshua D. and the fine folks at BP to see if they can address the issue so you all get your shoutouts (or turn these into tags for now..?).. It's frustrating to tag all those people and not have it work :( (and I'm a paying customer now! ;) lol

    Next Meetup:
    I envision having a meetup about once per month in the East Bay. I'm thinking about Wednesday, January 15th at 6:30 PM, near a BART station close to Oakland (as a relatively central location), but at a different venue with more room. Let me know if you want to and that works for you, or can take it a day or a few in either direction..

    Any input on venue, format/structure, or anything are all appreciated. Feel free to post here or send me a message. Next time, we can at least go around and introduce everybody one at a time - experience, location, what you're looking for in properties or partners etc. I was going to round everyone up outside, but it seemed like everyone was having a good conversation, so I decided to just let it flow.. Looking forward to next time!!

    2
    Topic locked
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    Sounds like a good event . . . awesome!

    As for the mention issue, I know it is a frustration point and we have been working on the issue, but it is very browser specific and we're still narrowing things down. Hopefully we'll have it resolved soon.

    2
    Topic locked
  • Marietta, GA · Member since 2013 · 202 posts · 118 votes
    12y

    Just wanted to say thanks to J Martin for putting this together. Met a few people but wish I had time for more.

    I think a quieter place would be better next time although our group made most of the noise :)

    2
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Santa Cruz, CA · Member since 2009 · 267 posts · 73 votes
    12y

    Thanks again @J. Martin for organizing this event! Had a blast. Looking forward to the next one.

    2
    Topic locked
  • Involved In Real Estate · San Jose, CA · Member since 2013 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Great meet up, met tons of great people and exchange a lot of great stories.

    See you next time.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Enjoyed the meetup. Thanks to @J. Martin

    for hosting it

    2
    Topic locked