Goldsboro, NC - What can you tell me about it?

Goldsboro, NC - What can you tell me about it?

Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2013 · 788 posts · 285 votes

I just started evaluating some properties in Goldsboro, which is about an hour away from me. I haven't been out there yet to check things out so I figured I'd see what BP can tell me about it.

What direction is it going?

How is the rental market?

How are schools?

Jobs?

Anything I should know?

Thanks in advance

1Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2014 · 916 posts · 190 votes
12y

What direction is it going? I would honest believe the direction Goldsboro is going down due to a raised crime rate in the past two years or so.

How is the rental market? The rental market in my eyes seems decent due to the military and BHA. A lot of these guys want roommate type setups from what I've seen.

How are schools? Schooling is so-so. Just depends on what side of town you're on.

Jobs? Jobs… Well, well, well… Umm… I think that really depends on what day of the week you ask that question. Of course you have the base, a lot of health care businesses, and quite a few factors so I guess the jobs in Goldsboro are on a come up. Now the pay is a completely different subject...

Anything I should know? Goldsboro is a retirement city. It would be ideal for long term investment but if things don't change up with the crime rate increasing, I'm afraid I could see things going south out here…

Thats just my two cents. I've been in Goldsboro since about 1996. Stayed on both the good and the bad sides of town. Left the US for deployments and contracting jobs but other then that, I'm pretty confident with my knowledge on the area.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 348 posts · 128 votes
    12y

    @Bryan H.

    I can't give you a very in depth answer here, but I'll give you as much as I have. Goldsboro is kind of your typical eastern NC farm town. I don't think there's much going on there. I'll put it this way, I've lived here my whole life and I've only been there once or twice. Now, that's not to say there isn't an opportunity there for a rental property but it is by no means a booming metropolis. I'd be much more inclined to shoot for something closer like Wendell, Garner or Smithfield if you want to shoot for the east. Just my two cents for what it's worth.

  • Homeowner · Riverside, CA · Member since 2013 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    @Bryan H.

    Hi Bryan. Only thing I can add about Goldsboro is that Seymour Johnston Air Force Base is there. If you take a drive through the area close to the base, you'll find quite a few haircut shops and car dealerships (typical for young military families who live on base- as their housing expenses are low/covered by the Air Force, a lot tend to put their money into their cars).

    I don't know too much about real estate as it relates to being affected by military personnel close by, so perhaps somebody else can chime in. But having grown up in a military family, I can say that we consistently rented homes until we finally settled down in one place (we moved roughly every 2-3 years, so it never made sense for us to buy a home). From that perspective, I'd think rent demand would be higher than other places; just be sure to consider that many of the young families live on the actual Air Force base, so that may strip some of the demand.

    -Steve

  • Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2014 · 916 posts · 190 votes
    12y

    What direction is it going? I would honest believe the direction Goldsboro is going down due to a raised crime rate in the past two years or so.

    How is the rental market? The rental market in my eyes seems decent due to the military and BHA. A lot of these guys want roommate type setups from what I've seen.

    How are schools? Schooling is so-so. Just depends on what side of town you're on.

    Jobs? Jobs… Well, well, well… Umm… I think that really depends on what day of the week you ask that question. Of course you have the base, a lot of health care businesses, and quite a few factors so I guess the jobs in Goldsboro are on a come up. Now the pay is a completely different subject...

    Anything I should know? Goldsboro is a retirement city. It would be ideal for long term investment but if things don't change up with the crime rate increasing, I'm afraid I could see things going south out here…

    Thats just my two cents. I've been in Goldsboro since about 1996. Stayed on both the good and the bad sides of town. Left the US for deployments and contracting jobs but other then that, I'm pretty confident with my knowledge on the area.

  • Valdosta, GA · Member since 2013 · 1 post · 0 votes
    12y

    @Reid hit the nail on the head! I been station at Seymour Johnson AFB for the past 2 year and the crime rate has gone up every year for the past 5 or so years. Most military families that live off base who are concerned about schools live out of the city limits in the Princeton, Pikeville, and in Wayne County North of New Hope road off highway 13. As for jobs I would say the main industry here is farming, then the hospital and the many other private medical practices that go along with it and then the military base. This is a small retirement town and the chamber of commerce keeps it that way.

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    See also http://www.usa.com/goldsboro-nc-crime-and-crime-rate.htm

    I don't know about the data collection methodology of this site or the integrity of the data, but there are other tabs for 'basic info' and 'housing' that may be of interest.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.