Need advice - I bought a bad flip

Need advice - I bought a bad flip

Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 2 votes

Maybe not the best place to ask for advice - I bought a home in N Central MA advertised as totally renovated, a pristine revival.  Among other attributes was a new roof and new high efficiency HVAC.  What I've learned since owning the home is virtually everything was done wrong.  Yes, I had the home inspected but what has transpired here couldn't have been anticipated.  The home was unsafe in part and unlivable.  I'm a senior with limited means.  The seller is taking no responsibility for his negligence.  The work on the home was marginally permitted and minimally inspected by the Building Department.  I'm faced with bringing an action I can't afford.  Is there any oversight for flipped homes.  Anyone I can contact?  

Barbara

1Reply
137 views

Most Popular Reply

Insurance Agent · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y

Barbara,

If you can find out which contractors were responsible for the improper work, there may be some recourse on their Insurance.  Normally the poor workmanship would be the responsibility of the contractor to repair not the insurance but if the poor workmanship caused other damage it may be covered.  Even the threat of going to their insurance may be effective in getting the repairs.  You may find out the contractors if they pulled permits.  the owner may know the insurance co. of the contractors. 

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Oops - apologies  Didn't mean to post the same thing twice.  I have gotten some info from Representative in my district and had a call returned from Senator's office.  Would anyone have an opinion if filing a complaint with the AG's office would help me?

    Thank you -

    Barbara

  • Ayer, MA · Member since 2015 · 57 posts · 22 votes
    8y

    Hi Barbara,

    I'm just reading this post now. How have things gone? Have you made any headway? 

    Tamara

  • Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Hi Tamara -

    I haven't made much progress.  Waiting for my attorney to write up pleadings.  Have some questions about the responsibility of the Building Department.  If I can include them or the city in a suit.  

    Thank you for asking!

    Barbara  

  • Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Hello,

    Update - now over a year into litigation against flipper/seller and his contractors.  Myriad construction defects - some I've corrected as the home I purchased wasn't livable.  Months after suit was filed I learned my strange health woes have been caused by mold, not disclosed by seller/owner of home, real estate company (only principal)/broker.  Now facing mediation in law suit within 2 weeks.  And discovering with a return of symptoms the remediation that I had done wasn't successful.  Mold apparently is back.  

    Thoughts, appreciated -

    Barbara

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Barbara L Dainoff. Just saying “mold” doesn’t say a lot. Some mold is very dangerous and a lot of it isn’t, as there is literally mold in the air we all breathe every day. So you’d have to say a lot more about the mold in order to make that determination.

  • Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    The home I purchased was flipped.  A foreclosure.  I learned from neighbors after I moved in that pipes had burst in the finished basement (basement was stripped and painted gray when I saw it - ceiling filled w/insulation) and sat wet for 8 to 10 years.  I was advised the basement before home was renovated had mold halfway up the walls.

    The mold was not remediated before sale nor was it disclosed.  I'm one of the 24% who will be seriously sickened by mold.  I have CIRS, Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome.  Mold testing revealed it in the ceiling of the basement, water damage was evident when the fiberglass insulation was removed.  Subfloor, joists and any remaining wood were all positive.  I had remediation done in early May, I was recovering but now my symptoms are back.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.