STR in St. Louis, MO - Lafayette Square Neighborhood

STR in St. Louis, MO - Lafayette Square Neighborhood

Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 44 votes

Investment Info:

Single-family residence buy & hold investment in St. Louis.

Purchase price: $153,000
Cash invested: $150,000

This project took about 20 months to complete. It was a full gut of a historic residence so the challenges were great but we brought it to completion. It is currently a short-term rental, used mostly as an AirBNB.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I saw an opportunity and decided to go for it. This was absolutely the most challenging thing I've had to accomplish in my entire life so far.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

This deal was on the MLS. Many investors who looked at this property decided to pass. It was in such horrible shape but the location of this property is amazing. The negotiations went relatively smooth, I offered the asking price and it was accepted.

How did you finance this deal?

My loan broker found a lender that was willing to finance this project.

How did you add value to the deal?

I opened the floor plan and brought everything up to date. This property is about 130 years old and probably hadn't been touched since the 1970's or so. Most of the money was spent repairing and making sure it would meet modern building standards.

What was the outcome?

I decided to hold it long term.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Too many lessons to list. The overall thing I'd like to say is to keep moving forward no matter what. I learned so many things on this project. I went through three contractors, two plumbers, and two electricians. Everything that could go wrong did, but I feel I can accomplish anything now!

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

Alex Bekeza is the best lender ever!

1Reply
18 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tavan SkaggsPro Member
    Property Manager · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    Hello Bennie, 

    Congrats on your successful project! I'm currently looking in the STL area for a potential property to buy and use as a STR. How is your rehab doing as a STR?


    Thanks, 

    Tavan

  • St. Louis, MO · Member since 2018 · 49 posts · 19 votes
    4y

    Congrats on powering through the challenges and getting the rehab to completion! Lafayette Square is a beautiful area, I'm sure the house looks great after the work that you have done!

    I would be curious to hear more about the historic rehab aspect of things. 

    Did you face challenges getting permits and the repairs approved? 

    How about historic tax credits? Did your contractors have experience with those or did you find a CPA or another professional to help you with that. I've heard there's extensive documentation required!

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 44 votes
    4y

    @Tavan Skaggs, I actually sold this property.  Someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 44 votes
    4y

    @Aaron J Latal, I did not restore any of the historical features of the house.  I did a modern update, so other than the exterior, I did not deal with the historical committee that much and I didn't get any tax credits.  Overall, I'd say the historical committee was pretty supportive when I did have business related to them, but they are very strict on how things look.  They have a very long manual that details every aspect of how homes in Lafayette Square should look and yes, they stick very close to those guidelines.  

    The contractors I used did not have much experience with historical houses but that wasn't a big deal since I was doing a complete modern rehab.  The one thing to keep in mind is that homes in that area are 100+ years old so there will be structural work.  Find good people for that aspect.  That is one of the reasons this project took so long.

  • St. Louis, MO · Member since 2018 · 49 posts · 19 votes
    4y

    @Bennie Williams, thanks for the detailed reply! I'll keep that information in mind when I'm looking at historical rehabs

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    4y

    Congrats on the completion and sale! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.