House Hack Switched to Full Airbnb in Oklahoma City

House Hack Switched to Full Airbnb in Oklahoma City

Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 11 votes

Investment Info:

Single-family residence buy & hold investment in Oklahoma City.

Purchase price: $242,000
Cash invested: $13,000

Purchased the house to live in it initially and try Airbnb. The house had an add on master suite with a private entrance. We blocked it off from the rest of our house and rented it as a single room with no kitchen access. We were very impressed with income. After 1 year we moved to a duplex (to househack again). Currently operates as a single Aribnb

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

Beautiful home, nice neighborhood, with potential for house hack

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

MLS

How did you finance this deal?

Conventional loan with 5% down. Seller covered all closing cost

What was the outcome?

Worked well as a house hack, now as a 4 Bedroom airbnb it is performing very strong, although we are in the early stages.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

2 major lessons
1. When it was a single room airbnb guest expectations were much lower. When we turned it into a full house we learned quickly we needed to step up the cleanliness, instructions, pictures, etc.
2. Would highly. recommend a garage apartment, MIL suite, etc. as a soft intro to Airbnb. Revenue was strong and minimal headache.

1Reply
42 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 694 votes
4y

Dude, I had such a similar experience. I was renting for a year while I finished a rehab and was traveling a lot. I decided to rent our my extra room to make some money and be sure I had someone at the house as much as possible when I was traveling. Since my experience was so good I decided to turn another property into an airbnb. It's still been a great experience, but what you're saying about expectations for renting just the room being lower is spot on. 

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ben ScottPro Member
    Property Manager · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2019 · 577 posts · 351 votes
    4y

    Congrats @Blake Billings on the project. Hope things are going well with you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 694 votes
    4y

    Dude, I had such a similar experience. I was renting for a year while I finished a rehab and was traveling a lot. I decided to rent our my extra room to make some money and be sure I had someone at the house as much as possible when I was traveling. Since my experience was so good I decided to turn another property into an airbnb. It's still been a great experience, but what you're saying about expectations for renting just the room being lower is spot on. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 9 votes
    4y

    Congrats! House hacking is such a powerful tool. Love that the STR model worked for this property too.

  • Realtor · Oklahoma City · Member since 2020 · 258 posts · 139 votes
    4y

    @Blake Billings Congrats! It is actually great to hear your story & info about it since I am about to manage one here soon. From my experience, I agree with you & @Alyssa Dyer that by the room expectations from guests were definitely different compared to an entire home being available. Assuming you like the entire home concept as you can earn more & is more easily booked vs by the room when possible while you're not trying to house hack? 

  • Ben ScottPro Member
    Property Manager · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2019 · 577 posts · 351 votes
    4y

    @Blake Billings have you had an issues with the neighborhood association. I know some historic areas in OKC frown upon short term rentals. 

  • Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 11 votes
    4y

    @Chase Busick the entire home concept has worked very well, but it is more work and is not as easy to book honestly. The room we offered was a very nice room (as it was the master suite in my own personal residence). My take is that there is more demand for a low cost nice place to stay for a party of 1 or 2. Where as there is a smaller demand pool for a house that sleep 8 or 10 or 12. 

    Overall it generates more revenue obviously, but the beauty of a house hack is that it is hard to fail and that was definitely the case when we were renting out the room. But a whole house has been much more competitive and requires a more disciplined system and approach. 

  • Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 11 votes
    4y

    @Ben Scott honestly I need to look into that. Since it was just a room as my personal residence I never thought about it. Went ahead and added that for my to do list next week and will update you.

  • Realtor · Oklahoma City · Member since 2020 · 258 posts · 139 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Blake Billings:

    @Chase Busick the entire home concept has worked very well, but it is more work and is not as easy to book honestly. The room we offered was a very nice room (as it was the master suite in my own personal residence). My take is that there is more demand for a low cost nice place to stay for a party of 1 or 2. Where as there is a smaller demand pool for a house that sleep 8 or 10 or 12. 

    Overall it generates more revenue obviously, but the beauty of a house hack is that it is hard to fail and that was definitely the case when we were renting out the room. But a whole house has been much more competitive and requires a more disciplined system and approac 

    @Blake Billings That's great to hear your perspective about it. I can see how it can be better in those cases compared to the bigger approach. 

    House hacking and co-living spaces are definitely becoming a lot more popular due to better affordability. Also a lot of people who travel most of the times are because of work and are either by themselves compared to families that are taking a vacation.

  • Dave SpoonerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 869 posts · 823 votes
    4y

    @Blake Billings This is impressive, congratulations!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.