Free and clear: Cash offer or seller fin.?

Free and clear: Cash offer or seller fin.?

Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 311 posts · 94 votes

Heres the situation:

The house is owned free and clear

Seller is motivated but not desperate. It was listed on MLS and didn't sell.

ARV: $150k

Rehab est: 20k

My cash offer: 80k

I dont think they will accept the cash offer, so I want to offer a seller finance, just not quite sure what to offer so here is one scenario I came up with:

$135k with 5K down at 5% interest, amortized at 30 years with balloon due in 5 years.

Does that make sense? Does it sound reasonable? I am not totally familiar with seller financing so I may be way off here....feel free to tell me I'm crazy or whatever. If it's not an attractive offer, then what is?

Joe Butcher

0Reply
47 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
12y

Joe, sorry, quickest way to say this is just by saying, you have some great misconceptions about seller financing and setting values and structures. You're headed for problems. There are tons of threads on SF here on BP, start reading those posted in the past year or two, nothing older really. See an attorney! :)

See this reply in the discussion

50 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Involved In Real Estate · Estero, FL · Member since 2013 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Just to be clear, are you going to be offering 80k? or 135?

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Joe,

    Slow down. Why would you want to offer $135k when it's worth $150k after you dropped $20k in repair?

    Before we can give you our inputs, how much was the house listed on the MLS for? How's the market since then? How much would this house rent for? I assume this will be a rental for you?

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 311 posts · 94 votes
    12y

    @Zach Rosen

    80K is the CASH (wholesale) offer.

    135K is the seller finance offer.

    @Account Closed

    I am not dropping 20K in repair. Maybe I wasn't clear enough about me making TWO offers to the seller. Let me explain.

    The first offer I want to make them is a CASH offer.

    I will give them 80K CASH. This is based on the formula:

    70% of ARV minus rehab minus my fee.

    Based on their motivation I do not think they will go for it, but they might

    I want to offer another option, as is common in wholesale situations.

    That would be for the seller to finance it to me, they buyer.

    Usually in this scenario, the buyer can give the seller closer to what they want.

    They had it listed at 145K but told me they would've been happy with 135K.

    Is that a little clearer? If not just let me know what info I am missing.

    Thanks!

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 311 posts · 94 votes
    12y

    If there are any experienced wholesalers out there who have experience with seller financing or lease options, I would love to hear your thoughts!'

    Thanks again!

  • Involved In Real Estate · Estero, FL · Member since 2013 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    @Joe Butcher

    As an agent, I spend a lot of my time dealing with buyer and sellers.

    Here are my feelings on the situation.

    You need to find out what the sellers paid for the house before making an offer of 80k when they said they would be happy with 135k. If you see they paid $85k, then maybe a $90k would be more reasonable. This information can most likely be found on the property appraisers website.

    Additionally, if you start with the 80k which i'm nearly confident will be declined and not countered (or countered with full price). And then go to $135k, that is a $55k swing.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 311 posts · 94 votes
    12y

    @Zach Rosen

    90K would be getting close to being a thin deal for me to assign contract to another investor.

    The differnece between the 80K and 135K is cash now vs money over time.

  • Rockford, IL · Member since 2013 · 330 posts · 62 votes
    12y

    See if I this right.

    You plan on offering $135K for a house that should be worth $150K if rehabbed to the tune of $20K. Then you expect to sell turn around and sell this to someone for $145K, so he fix up the place.

    Let's see current seller gets $135K plus a little interest.

    You get a negative $2K (estimate) = 145K (your selling price) - $135K (your buying price) - Closing cost - selling costs

    The new owner gets a house worth $150K for $155K (a loss of $5K)

    If the current can not sell it at $145K what makes you think you can?

  • Investor · Bethel, AK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 852 votes
    12y

    I am not an experienced wholesaler, but if you came at me with those 2 offers I would take the 135 owner finance. hands down. I wouldn't even think about the 80k cash unless I was absoloutly panicked to get some money. If I am reading it right I would get an extra 55k plus a small amount of interest to wait 5 years for my money. That's a bit over 10k a year. what would you do? or am I missing something?

    Ralph Ramey

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 311 posts · 94 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Edward Burns:
    See if I this right.
    You plan on offering $135K for a house that should be worth $150K if rehabbed to the tune of $20K.

    Yes, that is correct.

    Then you expect to sell turn around and sell this to someone for $145K, so he fix up the place.

    Correct

    Let's see current seller gets $135K plus a little interest.

    Yes

    You get a negative $2K (estimate) = 145K (your selling price) - $135K (your buying price) - Closing cost - selling costs

    I'm not sure I understand that....sorry.

    The new owner gets a house worth $150K for $155K (a loss of $5K)

    If the current can not sell it at $145K what makes you think you can?

    Sell it to someone whose credit isn't good enough to get a conventional loan.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 311 posts · 94 votes
    12y

    Would very much like to hear from any experienced wholesalers on this.

    Thanks again!

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    12y

    Regardless of whether the numbers make sense, I think you're going to have some Safe Act issues, with seller financing to someone else, with a 4-5 year balloon.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 311 posts · 94 votes
    12y

    @Wayne Brooks

    Thanks for the reply. Do you know what issues in particular?

    I was under the impression that SAFE only applies if RE is your main source of income, or if you have several transactions with seller financing.

    Have you run into any issues with a seller financing deal?

    Thank you.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    12y

    I don't do seller financing, but as a non owner seller there are new restrictions, federal and more importantly state.

  • Real Estate Agent · Weatherford, TX · Member since 2011 · 726 posts · 284 votes
    12y

    I've had a similar deal I negotiated. I havent done the math on your $135k price, but if they want cash down, offer 0% interest.

    Offer the cash and your preferred financing plan at the same time, as "options". leaves lots of room for back and forth on finance terms. Believe it or not folks will take 0% if you can get them some money down. I've negotiated one of those myself. the max cash offer was 85k I think. final offer Was accepted: 110k at 0% 20 year amort, 7 year balloon, 10k down. Spent maybe 10k on rehab and got it rented for $1000 or so. Basically 23k or so out of pocket with plenty of cash flow and options before the balloon comes due.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 311 posts · 94 votes
    12y

    @Wayne Brooks

    I am looking at the government website right now but theres quite a bit to look through.....do you know what those restrictions would be, specifically?

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    Joe, no that is the wrong assumption, non-owner occupied to an owner occupied, you need to review the SAFE Act. If that's the deal on your property Shane, you're probably in violation with respect to the balloon, unless it was amortized at 14 years or so. There are principal pay downs required for a balloon note. :)

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 311 posts · 94 votes
    12y

    @Shane Woods ahh, was just looking at your profile and was hoping you would chime in here.

    So if the seller finance is accepted, my options after that would be what?

    To lease it as is? Rehab and lease? Re-sell it to another buyer who finances it from me? I think thats the part I am unclear on....the exit strategy.

    I am getting abetter grip on how to structure the deal, but not too sure I understand what makes an offer attractive vs not attractive.

    Thanks!

    Joe

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 311 posts · 94 votes
    12y

    @Bill Gulley thanks for joining the discussion. I have read alot of your posts.

    Don't know if I was clear on some of the details but the current owners DO NOT live there. The property is vacant. It is also owned free and clear.

    All the info I have found on the SAFE act seems confusing....maybe it's just me.

  • Real Estate Agent · Weatherford, TX · Member since 2011 · 726 posts · 284 votes
    12y

    hey Bill, ours was done last year (2012) while balloons were still (i think) legal. Title company had no issues with it.

    Joe, any of those 3 exit strategies could work, assuming you could do the deal legally. However, rehab and lease is the most conservative, safe bet.

    Lease without any rehab is very unlikely, and if you do, will likely cost you more down the road. There's almost always some deferred maintenance.

    Regarding the buy with financing sell with financing plan, which is your third option...lots of folks do those but they're not my specialty. Just search WRAP owner financing and have fun reading all the pros and cons.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 311 posts · 94 votes
    12y

    @Shane Woods

    The house is not in need of any repairs....roof is new, gutters are new, foundation is repaired. It is however, VERY dated looking.

    If I had enough $$ for the down payment I would borrow hard money and flip it myself, that is, if they accepted my cash offer. This would be a very easy flip for about 20K. BUT...I dont think they will go for the cash offer.

    I guess the scenario that is more likely is to owner finance, then lease it??

  • Real Estate Agent · Weatherford, TX · Member since 2011 · 726 posts · 284 votes
    12y

    if you don't have a down payment, getting the owner financed deal accepted will be much tougher. What's their incentive?

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 311 posts · 94 votes
    12y

    @Shane Woods I could actually give them about 5K down, if necessary.

    No urgent incentive. They just want to get rid of the house. I think their daughter lived there but has since moved out. I am guessing they dont want to be landlords.

  • Real Estate Agent · Weatherford, TX · Member since 2011 · 726 posts · 284 votes
    12y

    well that's different then :-)

    If you can afford $5k down plus all closing costs, you could still be very persuasive at 0% interest and whatever your moat favorable terms are.

  • Real Estate Agent · Weatherford, TX · Member since 2011 · 726 posts · 284 votes
    12y

    However, that being said, what would yoould you use for cash reserves if you spend them all buying the property?

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 311 posts · 94 votes
    12y

    @Shane Woods

    Ok now we are getting somewhere. What are the closing costs associated with SF? I mean is it anything like bank financing?

    Do I even HAVE a deal here?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.