Rookie in need of deal analysis help needed!

Rookie in need of deal analysis help needed!

Investor · New England, USA · Member since 2022 · 16 posts · 15 votes

I am a Rookie and first-timer multi-family buyer looking for help on a deal analysis and some perspective.  After living below our means and saving for years, my husband and I submitted an offer on a 4-unit, 15-bedroom property (3 X 4BR and 1 X 3BR) with a long history of renting to college students and young professionals.  Now I am second-guessing myself and looking for perspective on how (assuming it gets accepted) we can increase cash flow on the property or if we should walk away (which we can do).

First, some background on the property.  The 3BR unit rents for $3,500 per student per semester (roughly $777 a month per student), and the 4BR units rent for $3,300 per student per semester (roughly $734 a month per student).  The property is being sold subject to the 15 leases that expire in June (college students and young professionals), so we can raise rents for the following school year or lease to year-round tenants.  Utilities (heating, water/ sewer, electric, internet) are included (which makes me nervous given the rising costs of electricity and oil and our inability to increase the rent until the leases expire in June).  Last year, the property grossed around $101K and netted $61,980K after operating expenses.  The property appears to be in good condition (the owner has invested in major projects regularly to update the property and maintain its condition). It is located in a desirable area (a stone's throw from campus, stores, bars, and restaurants) in a small college town, has 13 parking spaces, and has been owned by the same owner for the last 40 years (he moved to CA and is retiring).   

I started running numbers and comps the second I saw the listing.  It is in much better condition than other buildings that rent to college students, and the rent is lower than those buildings.  The showing was a mob scene.  Agents and potential buyers were all over the place when I went to see it on Monday (which was also the first and only chance to see it).  Initially, I wasn't going to put an offer in because I didn't have an interest in getting into a bidding war and was worried about the cash flow.  The seller set an offer deadline of 5:00 p.m. last night.  I started kicking myself after I missed the initial deadline because good multi-family properties with 4+ units rarely pop up, and our chances at securing multifamily like this nearby (so we can be actively involved with its management) is dwindling given ever-increasing interest rates (the tea leaves suggest we are headed for rate increases like those seen in the 1980s and 1990s).  

Here is the offer.  We came in at $595K with a $2,500 escalation clause up to $615K.  We are preapproved at $700K, 25% down at 6.99% (ugh...the pucker factor).  I ran multiple reports using expenses with some upward adjustments.  Also, the property is located right down the street from where we live and work remotely. We want to be actively involved with its management (so we can save on the management fee). 

Any advice? Should I call and retract our offer? Is it worth holding the property to work on cash flow? Am I just panicking?

  report

*This link comes directly from our calculators, based on information input by the member who posted.

0Reply
6 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wendy PattonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Clarkston, MI · Member since 2009 · 864 posts · 350 votes
    3y
    I don't know all the details but if all rents are a little low what about having each pay a portion of the utilities each month?  they get 1/15th or whatever it is of the bills added to their rent.  This would help with that down side but more accounting and billing on your side.   Student housing is a unique animal so hopefully someone with lots of that experience will jump in with other answers/questions.
    Michigan Real Estate Investors535 Reviews
  • Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2019 · 50 posts · 35 votes
    3y

    What about having each unit play a flat rate fee. See if you can get a 12 month history of the utilities from the seller. Then average it out an have the unit pay a flat fee. Another option is to get the property individually metered. This will be pricy, but if you plan on holding long term it may be worth it. 

    Any reason your second guessing yourself on the property? If the numbers work out at the lower rents, seems to be a good deal. What do the numbers say if you raise them closer to market rents?

  • Member since 2021 · 166 posts · 113 votes
    3y

    Rates are 7.2 today, but you also have to add 50 basis points to that number, as this is a rental property. So your rate should be estimated at 7.7 on a pro-forma; if you do better on rates, that is upside to you, but assume worst case. Your insurance at $6/month seems unrealistically low; get a quote from a local agent to plug a real number in there. I see you added management fees even though you stated you would self-manage. Its good practice to do so, even if you self-manage, but 3% is far too low. Use 10% to be conservative.

    Also, I am hearing emotion in your voice, and a bit of FOMO. You should fall in love with the numbers, not the property. It may be scarce, but as the saying goes: "There is always another bus."  Try to take the emotion out of your decision-making process. A good tactic is to ask yourself: "What am I pretending not to see?"

    Hope this helps and good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.