Northern Virginia primary residence Investment

Northern Virginia primary residence Investment

Real Estate Agent · Northern Virginia · Member since 2021 · 106 posts · 50 votes

Investment Info:

Single-family residence buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $535,000
Cash invested: $43,560

I purchased my own single family residence. I use the basement as a short term rental. It reduces my personal monthly expenses by roughly $1500 per month.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I needed a house to live in and decided house hacking is the best way to advance my investment career

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

On the MLS. Deal was on the market for months. Bought the house $115,000 under initial asking price. My agent and I negotiated some seller credits for repairs as well

How did you finance this deal?

3% down conventional loan

How did you add value to the deal?

I have upgraded some electic wiring, hvac, and cosmetic upgrades

What was the outcome?

Buy and hold. I currently make about $1500 per month in gross rents.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Continually take action most limitations are in your mind
You don't need to know everything at first. Just make progress towards your goals and you'll know what to do as you progress.

0Reply
13 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Reston, VA · Member since 2017 · 295 posts · 163 votes
    3y

    @Brandon Wagner Congrats on your home. Sounds like you made financially good choices and decisions.  Prove that in our area buyers can still get some properties and still come out ahead. Unfortunately we are seeing a churning market that is trying to bubble back up again. Do you mind sharing the city you bought in?

  • Real Estate Agent · Northern Virginia · Member since 2021 · 106 posts · 50 votes
    3y

    I will preface this with i bought it 2 years ago so before some of the craziness but it was during the pandemic and super low interest rate environment. It's in Haymarket, VA.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.