Duplex in the city, with a view. What would you do?

Duplex in the city, with a view. What would you do?

Justin HennigPro Member
Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 59 posts · 11 votes

I'm thinking about making an offer on a duplex not yet on the market but it should be in the next 2-3 weeks.

This is one of 3 identical adjacent duplexes, all built late 1940s, all situated handsomely on top of a hill across from a popular city park.

It is about 1680 Square feet finished (840 per side), side x side (mirror image), 2 bed, 1 bath duplex with separate everything (Gas/Electric/entries/laundry), a 2 car garage w/ 1 extra off-street space, big back yard, great views of the park, and in a phenomenal location.

The master plan, which I'd love to get your opinion on, is to purchase the property, and immediately renovate the unfinished basement on both sides by adding a bedroom (to code w/ egress of course) and bathroom down there, as well as a finished family room, virtually doubling the square footage...it would actually be around 3100 finished square feet (1550 per side) total when complete. We would also open up the kitchen with a pass-through into the living room (currently closed off). So, the basement expansion would make it a 3 bed/2 bath on BOTH sides, dramatically increasing the rent it would fetch.

Estimated Reno is $35,000-40,000 based on preliminary estimates from 2 different contractors.

We would plan to Buy, improve, and hold the property, and in doing the renovation, would take estimated rents (based on neighborhood rent comps, craigslist, etc) from about $2400 per month (1200 per side) to around $3300 per month (1650 per month, per side), based on prevailing rents in the surrounding neighborhoods.

Estimated cash flow around $1000 per month after assuming 5% vacancy, 3% cap-ex, and 5% repairs. Tenants are accustomed to paying utilities in this area.

We think with the improvements, it would appraise around $325-350k and could possibly refi and cash out somewhat.

We see the biggest downside on the property is the fairly large amount of cash it would eat up...would need about $60k down.

Found a commercial lender willing to take 20% down, but would finance in the repairs, so assuming 240k purchase price, selling pays CC, and 40k repairs, would require 56k down +2800 in closing costs (1 point). 5 year commercial loan at 5.875% w/ 1 point up front. Cash on cash return around 20%.

Looked into conventional but can't finance the construction upgrades, and would need 25% down on non-owner occupy investment property + reno, or about $100k to pull it off. I like using OPM (other people's money) too much to want to tap myself out like that.

After seeing the first 2 go for around $250k (and they are IDENTICAL), pretty certain it will be listed for $250k and will most likely sell around $235-240k)

Sure i'm missing some stuff...what questions do you have?

I feel this would be a very solid investment based on location, condition, ability to upgrade...oh and its only a block from my house (which I'm happy with). Should I tap most of my cash for this project or is there a way to leverage it higher and get more for my money?

What do you think?

thanks! Justin

0Reply
7 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Salem, OR · Member since 2013 · 701 posts · 159 votes
    12y

    To determine the cap rate you also have to know the tax, insurance, and management cost. I would then compare that with your cost of money. I would like a cap rate that is 3 percentage points above your cost which is stated as 5.875%. I can't tell if your cash flow estimate included those costs either. This seems to be a case where your operating costs are much less than 50%?

    This is not a property that would give me a satisfactory return as a flip. As a buy-hold if your expense ratio is low.

    Good luck.

    Bill

  • Real Estate Agent · Charleston, SC · Member since 2013 · 424 posts · 99 votes
    12y

    I'm no expert, but this sounds like an excellent deal as a buy and hold and maybe sell down the road. I'd keep the cash flow on this baby until I saw some more worthy appreciation. I'd go with the commercial lender to, as you said, use more of OPM as opposed to your own. Maybe I'm skipping over the numbers but if I were you I would compare what the total cost (interest included) would be of Loan Option A vs B, to determine if tapping yourself out is going to be worth it or save you any money in the long run that could be used elsewhere or for future deals.

    Hope I helped!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.