D+/C- neighborhood, Cashflow Duplex? Prop Manage it?

D+/C- neighborhood, Cashflow Duplex? Prop Manage it?

Justin HennigPro Member
Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 59 posts · 11 votes

Foreclosure Duplex, Zestimate $122k, Purchase price, $85,000. Last time it sold at this price was 1998. Needs about $15,000 in repairs and upgrades to update somewhat and add a bedroom to each. Needs a new boiler, paint, remove carpet upstairs to expose HW floors there, needs 2 refrig, 2 stove, and may add dishwasher in 1 or both. Older house (1904) with Hardwood floors, original woodwork, French doors to Sunrooms on front of each, flaking paint on outside would need new siding or scrape/paint within a few years. Currently 2 bedroom 1 bath on both sides but has room to make into two 3 bedroom, 1 bath units...each unit is 1150 finished square feet.

Prevailing rents around 900-1150 for 3 bedrooms so gross rent would be around 1900-2300 per month. I'd upgrade it enough to possibly fetch 1000-1100 each side so would meet the 2% rule.

25% down = $21,250 (seller paid CC) + 15000 repairs = $36,250 cash needed.

Taxes $2100, Approx Insurance $1800/year, estimating 10% for property management, 5% for repairs, 8% vacancy,5% capex, tenants pay all utilities.

This Up/Down duplex is in a borderline sketchy neighborhood and its 25+ minutes from my house. I'd like to manage anything within 10 minutes in nicer neighborhoods, so this one because of the neighborhood and proximity seems to make more sense under management.

I've never hired a property management company before and would love to get some advice just about that.

What do you think and what questions do you have?

thanks!

Justin

515-868-6886

0Reply
6 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Salem, OR · Member since 2013 · 701 posts · 159 votes
    12y

    Your number for repairs/upgrades seems light for me. Even with an additional $10,000 in rehab cost you can still get a 2%. I would want that for the level of neighborhood you described.

    I have property managers for SFH's. I end up paying 10% of rents + one month's rent to find a new tenant. From what I have seen on this site that may be high. I would just say, if you don't want to manage it, don't.

    Best to you.

    Bill

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    I am a newbie. Here is my unsolicited two cents.

    The one number that jumps out here is the zestimate.

    My zestimate was 30% higher than the actual ARV appraisal number. It still met 65% rule. I knew I had that wiggle room, does this one?

    Up/down duplex that's over 100 years old in borderline hood is another concern. One water event from a careless tenant upstairs could create a problem. Anecdotely speaking, I have see many youtube videos that this is exactly what happened, all in d/c areas. I normally eliminate up/down duplexes from my C area search or even any upstairs bathrooms.

    Using Pm I am still learning, but the fact that you don't want to manage personally when you are 25 mins away makes me pause on that fact more than anything else here for sure.

    Otherwise, it looks like an awesome rental mathmatically.

  • Rental Property Investor · Brookline, MA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 777 votes
    12y

    @Justin Hennig This place has awesome cash flow and awesome ROI, $575+/month and 23+% respectively. That assumes 10% property management, 10% vacancy and your low end estimates on rents.

    Even in a crappy neighborhood, I'd buy this place with these numbers.

    To your property management company. I'd shoot for 8% of gross rents and a flat fee that isn't going to cost you an additional month's rent every year as tenant's turn over.

    Also, finish your website :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.