I wanted to purchase a small amount of land to develop.

I wanted to purchase a small amount of land to develop.

Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 3 votes

Investment Info:

Other wholesale investment in Savage.

Purchase price: $50,000
Cash invested: $2,000

Bought 3 City lots in a city with very high demand for housing. Plan on developing these into rentals and/or lease options/ owner carry.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

The land was purchased below appraised value in a good area with very high rental demand. I'm bringing in temporary rental housing to cover expenses while investigating building the first permanent home. I plan on eventually adding three permanent homes with two or three ADU's.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

My husband has a friend he went to high school with who is a real estate agent. I simply called her and had a conversation about what was available in the area that would fit what I was looking for. She sent me some listings, I choose the one that I thought would be best as far as location, beauty, accessibility and put in an offer. They accepted a lower offer than listing price without any counter, paid closing costs, half the appraisal and we had the deal done within a month.

How did you finance this deal?

I took out a HELOC on my home and paid cash.

How did you add value to the deal?

Offering to pay half of the appraisal costs.

What was the outcome?

We now own the lots. They are almost completely paid off on my HELOC and there is a huge potential to gain alot of capital out of these.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Still learning. This adventure as just beginning.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

My agent was extremely knowledgeable, helpful and fast. She is there on a moment's notice when I have an inquiry continually. I most definitely would give her name to anyone looking in my area.

1Reply
17 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew FreedBusiness Member
    Investor · Worcester, MA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Denise Coffman - Congrats on the investment. Now that you own these properties, action is key to advancing your real estate goals. Set internal timelines on when you will have your drawings done for the new builds, selecting contractors, when you plan on having the project completed. If you don't set internal deadlines and goals, before you know it, years will pass by and you will still have these vacant lots that are not producing cash flow or building your networth to the way you dreamed of. Set actionable measurable goals/timelines and stick with it would be my advice on next steps. 

  • Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    Hello Andrew. Thank you for the sound advice. That's exactly my plan currently. Have a temporary income plan for the property hopefully going in within the next month so I can better work on building. Looking forward to connecting with other members who have traveled this same path. It was very nice to meet you.   

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.