Buy, Renovate, Hold and now a Padsplit

Buy, Renovate, Hold and now a Padsplit

Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2018 · 123 posts · 71 votes

Investment Info:

Townhouse buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $320,000
Cash invested: $65,000

Hoarder in foreclosure. Picked up this great location townhome where the HOA takes care of the exterior, so only needed to renovate the interior. Took 6 loads of a U Haul to empty the townhouse, pulled all the flooring, lighting, floorboards - the former owner had multiple pets - and replaced a good amount of subfloor that was quite smelly with cat pee. Kept kitchen cabinets, counter tops to do later - cleaned, painted, new flooring and appliances, replaced several windows, new trim and fixtures and it felt brand new. Currently occupied as a Pad split with 2 separate tenants and a family member.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I knew the renovation was just interior. HOA maintains exterior so I could itemize costs and get a really solid budget quickly.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

I am a full-time broker and an agent in my office sent it around and told everyone it needed to sell in a week to avoid foreclosure. I knew the address/location and the neighborhood. Called him, saw it that day and made an offer. I was already on the hunt for a new project, so had financing in order. We made a decision fast and executed on time to make the deal work for the seller. We also offered for them to leave behind what they couldn't move, factoring in dump fees to our costs.

How did you finance this deal?

Fixed mortgage. Bought the rate down a bit to get it to cash flow. 20% down and paid for the renovations out of pocket.

How did you add value to the deal?

The lower room / basement area - we added an egress window to make a legal 3rd bedroom. So went from a 2 bed to a 3 bed, plus a nearly gut renovation to bring it back to life.

What was the outcome?

Currently renting it by the room. 3 beds and 3 baths, so each tenant has their own. It's an excellent long-term hold, easy to rent and cash flows.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Kilz is the bomb. Rolled 2 layers on every surface and got rid of the cat smell.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

I am a full-time broker, so used the buyer's agent commission to pay closing costs.

3Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Miller McSwainPro Member
Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2018 · 261 posts · 233 votes
1y

This is awesome! I just wrote the Co-Living book for BP, so I'm glad this is working well as a room rental!

Personally, I don't use PadSplit for marketing. But I'm always curious how well it is working for others. I don't know anyone using PS in OR. How quickly did you get it filled up and how is the quality of tenant?

You rock!

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Miller McSwainPro Member
    Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2018 · 261 posts · 233 votes
    1y

    This is awesome! I just wrote the Co-Living book for BP, so I'm glad this is working well as a room rental!

    Personally, I don't use PadSplit for marketing. But I'm always curious how well it is working for others. I don't know anyone using PS in OR. How quickly did you get it filled up and how is the quality of tenant?

    You rock!

  • Frank PyleBusiness Member
    Specialist · USA · Member since 2024 · 279 posts · 130 votes
    1y

    Love how you moved quickly on this and turned a tough situation into a solid cash-flowing asset. Converting it to a 3-bed with individual baths was a smart value-add, especially for room rentals. Sounds like a win all around—and totally agree on the power of Kilz!

    Frank Pyle at ExP Realty
    NEXA Lending- Investors Edge Concierge
    View Page
  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Kelly Asmus, You're operating a PadSplit in an HOA community—curious what the covenants say about that. I've seen HOAs push back on room rentals in the past, so I'd be interested to hear how yours addresses it—especially with separate tenants involved. Or perhaps it's one of those situations where you're walking a fine line?

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2018 · 123 posts · 71 votes
    1y

    My son lives in it with two tenants. Our HOA doesn't have a rental cap and doesn't require we notify them of rentals. I do agree though that some HOAs have rental caps, requirements to notify of rental units, etc. I have also seen HOAs that won't allow STR, or require 6 month minimum leases. So yes, investors need to be aware and research CC&Rs before a purchase in a community. Part of our due diligence.

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2018 · 123 posts · 71 votes
    1y

    To clarify I am not using Padsplit to market the property but doing the same thing on our own. We marketed the rooms on our own and filled them using a standard Oregon long term lease. Padsplit is entering our market though and I think they will do great. Rent is expensive here and we have a shortage of rentals. We are seeing an ADU boom so I think Padsplit could be used to fill those spaces as well. Oregon does have rent cap laws, but I find that it just causes you as the landlord to evaluate rents annually and raise as needed to stay at market. If you do that, you are fine. Run it like a business.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.