Is it a bad idea to do Airbnb while building DADU in backyard?

Is it a bad idea to do Airbnb while building DADU in backyard?

Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 2 votes

I bought SFH in West seattle where I am flipping the SFH and also building a DADU in the backyard. My flip is almost done but DADU permits will come sometime in February/March 2026. My initial plan was to sell SFH by Oct and then build DADU as planned in 2026. However since we are approaching holidays(slow market) and my separate plan to acquire a different Airbnb property failed so I am thinking about pivoting to make this house an active STR primarily to take tax benefits.

My question is if I start building DADU with the main house operating as STR, will this seriously impact guest reviews. Does it really matter if I sell the property soon? The other option is to hold DADU construction until I sell the main house so that airbnb guests are not impacted. Which option is better?

0Reply
36 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11mo

    Hi, you might get more feedback in the STR section?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.