I'm looking at a couple of projects in the Lake Lure area of North Carolina. Does anyone have any thoughts on Senior living facilities being built in the area and if that county has good occupancy with demand to ensure refinancing and exits?
Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2026 · 3 posts · 1 vote
6mo
Interesting market to look at — but I’d be cautious with independent living in a smaller area like that unless the demand is really proven.
A couple things I’d personally want to understand better:
– Actual demand for independent vs assisted living (big difference operationally and financially)
– Who your end buyer is on exit and whether that market supports it
– Local population trends + income levels (can they actually afford it long term?)
Also the comment about the recent damage and closures is something I’d take seriously — that kind of thing can impact both short-term performance and long-term perception of the area.
If it were me, I’d want really strong data on demand and probably boots on the ground before getting too far into it.
Knoxville TN, USA · Member since 2023 · 61 posts · 42 votes
6mo
Lake Lure seems like an awesome tourist / retirement destination. This is just my opinion, but once you're transferring from retirement to assisted living, I suspect most of the destination retirees will relocate closer to their families/roots. I think a home health business might be preferred since the retirees generally have means
I'm probably wrong. A contrarian view if nothing else.
Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6mo
Lake Lure and Chimney Rock were absolutely hammered during Hurricane Helen so if you're looking at property in the area you better have boots on the ground. I'm from the Indiana but know the area, follow the news, and saw the damage first hand.
Lake Lure is currently drained and closed for dam repairs but is scheduled to reopen this summer.
Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2026 · 3 posts · 1 vote
6mo
Interesting market to look at — but I’d be cautious with independent living in a smaller area like that unless the demand is really proven.
A couple things I’d personally want to understand better:
– Actual demand for independent vs assisted living (big difference operationally and financially)
– Who your end buyer is on exit and whether that market supports it
– Local population trends + income levels (can they actually afford it long term?)
Also the comment about the recent damage and closures is something I’d take seriously — that kind of thing can impact both short-term performance and long-term perception of the area.
If it were me, I’d want really strong data on demand and probably boots on the ground before getting too far into it.
Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6mo
@Dj Pursell Exactly. 2026 is probably a wash for most STR investors nearby. Could a buying opportunity though. Then again we're dealing the clowns in the White House so STR/creative stragties in general are getting tight.