My first deal

My first deal

Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 311 posts · 94 votes

I got through my first deal....well, I don't have it rented yet but wanted to share some of the details and then talk a little about why it was such a great learning experience.

ARV: 94K

Rehab: 29K

Purchase price: 39.5K

Rent is $1050/mo although I may lower it to $1000.

Taxes: $166/mo

Ins: $70/mo

P+I is about $380

Im putting away $150/mo for vacancy and maintenance. Some will say that should be higher, but I got all the major items fixed in the rehab. I can still adjust that if I want, as current numbers cashflow about $230.

I took a hard money loan at 14% with 3 points. Refi'd into a conventional loan (we close on the conventional early next week)

Total amount of the conventional loan is $66,875 at 5.25% 30 year fixed.

I rolled just about all the associated costs into the loan with a couple exceptions. I paid cash for the following: 3K for the foundation repair. I bought the appliances (stove and dishwasher) for about $300 (got a super deal on used appliances)

I spent maybe $200 getting the yard looking nice. I paid $800 to fix an unforeseen plumbing issue.

I acquired the property from my yellow letters. So that was a good lesson in marketing and sales. Talking with so many people on the phone and making offers taught me a lot....mostly about building rapport and negotiating. I think it was @Aaron Mazzrillo who suggested reading anything by Herb Cohen, which I did and really got a lot out of it. I don't think people realize how important it is to study sales and negotiation.

I lost one deal to another investor because of my inexperience, but that was a lesson in itself.

I learned how to get a hard money loan, how to do a rehab estimate and how NOT to do a rehab estimate. My original estimate was....get this....$5000. Boy was I wrong. I'm glad I didn't try and wholesale this as I would have made a fool of myself.

I was expecting the final appraisal to come in much lower, so it was a nice surprise when it came in over 10K higher.

Another nice thing was that the GC I used has done a lot of deals with the HML I used. The HML paid the GC directly, so I didnt have to take any draws or pay out of my own pocket, which is good because I couldn't afford to.

Any thoughts here? Am I missing anything?

I'll post pics here in a minute.

Thanks

4Reply
66 views

Most Popular Reply

Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 22 posts · 4 votes
12y

Awesome work Joe. The quality looks amazing.

I will be closing on my first rental property in July. We'll have to do a toast when we get our first rent checks!!!

See this reply in the discussion

37 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2011 · 308 posts · 59 votes
    12y

    Great job, congrats! The rate seems a little high. I am closing on a refi myself but at 4.5%.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 311 posts · 94 votes
    12y

    @K.

    @Account Closed

    The counter tops and backsplash were taken care of by the GC. They are formica. To be honest, I came over one day and the old countertops were there, and the next day, the new ones. I never even asked. I really dig the full backsplash though, but I would imagine it was custom ordered. They did a nice job caulking the seam too.

    The flooring: The standard oak hardwoods that you find around here with houses built in the 60s were under the carpet. Unfortunately, someone did a really bad job trying to refinish them at some point.....looks like they used that "all-in-one" stain/poly stuff and it came out almost black. It could easily be refinished, but I didn't want renters tearing it up, so we just put vinyl plank flooring over it. Durable and looks great. Carpet in the bedrooms, btw.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 311 posts · 94 votes
    12y

    @Bryce Y. thanks man. Thats a super rate on that refi....what was the situation were you refi-ing out of if you don't mind me asking?

    If you have a contact to share, please message me.

    Thanks!

  • Escanaba, MI · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    Congrads on the Deal Joe! I'm new to the Real Estate Business, all these first deals are inspirational! Thanks! I've found a house in my town for 21,100! not in bad shape, just not that good looking:P a few small jobs and it'll be perfect for renting! the avg rent in my town is 700!

  • Real Estate Investor · Richardson, TX · Member since 2012 · 113 posts · 27 votes
    12y

    Joe congrats! I would love to pick up a few deals like this one.

    What where your requirements number wise to purchase the property? Did you have a Cash on Cash, or ROI, or rent to price ratio you were looking for? I guess Im asking what your buying criteria is.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 311 posts · 94 votes
    12y

    @Erik Drentlaw my criteria was only with property type, i.e. 3 bedroom 2 bath 2 car garage, etc.

    As far as criteria in relation to numbers, I just figured if I could cash flow more than $150 bucks a month, I'd be happy.

  • Real Estate Investor · Richardson, TX · Member since 2012 · 113 posts · 27 votes
    12y

    @Joe Butcher Could you have closed with regular financing or would it have taken too long for the seller you were dealing with?

  • Longview, TX · Member since 2012 · 368 posts · 131 votes
    12y
    Nice work Joe Butcher . Wish you continued success and glad to hear Jerry Puckett letters are working for you - they've done wonders for me!
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 311 posts · 94 votes
    12y

    @Erik Drentlaw good question. The problem with conventional financing is finding a bank to loan on a property under 50K. I got it for 39.5K

    Hard money were the only ones who would touch it, knowing the ARV vs purchase price. Once rehabbed it was worth 94K, hence the refi into conventional. Ta da!!

    @Mike M. yeah I love me some Puck Daddy!

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2012 · 289 posts · 74 votes
    12y

    Gm Joe. Congrats on your project. Thanks for sharing and continued success.

  • Wholesaler/rehabber · Arcadia, FL · Member since 2013 · 341 posts · 22 votes
    12y

    awesome rehab job here. great idea to let the hard wood out makes the place look more open and inviting. shouldnt have any problem renting this! if you don't plan on keeping this long term it would be a great buy lease option property. you can get a chunk of the rehab costs back right a way and cash flow every month till the contract comes to term.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 41 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    Wow @Joe Butcher this is awesome. I am exploring the feasibility of me doing this same strategy in Illinois... this post is super are encouraging!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.