Chicago Rehab Numbers to Determine Purchase Price

Chicago Rehab Numbers to Determine Purchase Price

Rehabber · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 44 posts · 0 votes

I'm looking at a 2/1 condo that needs some reasonable renovations. It's in a good area that's going through some regentrification. Lots of families and close to public transit.

700ft2, large bedrooms, small bathroom, small kitchen. It has original hardwood floors (but I think the subfloor needs to be replaced), w/d hookups in the kitchen which I want to relocate to a hallway directly on the opposite side of the wall, and a door to the furnace in the living room that I'd like to also move to a hallway wall to reduce noise.

Kitchen isn't laid out the best so opening up the kitchen and updating with new cabinets and countertops is necessary. There is one short non load-bearing wall that needs to go in order to expand the kitchen. Aside from that, replace the bathroom vanity and bathtub, and depending on the costs for everything, I'd like to update the tile in the kitchen and bathroom. Windows are good, plumbing is good, and electricity I believe is fine.

Expecting the renos to come in around $12-15k (again, small condo, small kitchen, and standard fixes). Cash purchase with minimal holding costs: taxes, HOA ($200) and insurance. ARV from a recent CMA estimates it at $115-$140k, but more similar size/style property comps are $85k (closed 12/2013) and $90k (closed 3/2014). With the market heating up, I'm expecting the ARV to come in closer to $100k if I'm being realistic.

Are my numbers reasonable? And if so, what would the max purchase price be that you'd safely go in at? The price I fear will come in a little over the 70% rule! But I really need to get on a project so I'm willing to go into an easy flip that may yield a slightly lower return just to get some money coming in.

Thanks in advance!!

0Reply
42 views

Most Popular Reply

Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
12y

@Travis Russell - Based on this info I would be using the $90k ARV - depending on the area condos are a dime a dozen and I have seen so many condo owners recently thinking that the market heat up was inclusive of condos and were sadly disappointing - but again, just my 2 sense. Feel free to PM me the address and I will comp it

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    @Travis Russell - Based on this info I would be using the $90k ARV - depending on the area condos are a dime a dozen and I have seen so many condo owners recently thinking that the market heat up was inclusive of condos and were sadly disappointing - but again, just my 2 sense. Feel free to PM me the address and I will comp it

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 710 posts · 200 votes
    12y

    Im basing everything right now on sold comps 2 months back and Pnding status active at a 95% assumed sell price. 4-6 months back is too much of a stretch for me in the neighborhoods I farm. NW Side.

    I like to say you make your profit on the buy.....so the numbers could be a home run on this one if you acquire for a good price.

    Im also not finding anything that makes the 70% rule where I Farm. I personally go on the minimum dollar profit I will make for the effort and financial risk not the actual %.

    What hood by the way?

  • Rehabber · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 44 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Thanks @John Weidner . Good advise! That's also what I'm considering too...just a base return that I'd be happy with instead of the 70% rule. Just want to make some money, even if it's not huge every time!

    The property is in Albany Park area. Lots of activity around there. Any good neighborhoods you'd recommend?? (without taking from your inventory of course!)

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    @Travis Russell maybe @John Weidner will do a comp for you too - he is also a broker and plays around this area. John probably has much more knowledge of rehab costs than I do

  • Rehabber · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 44 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Awesome! Thanks again @Brie Schmidt !! You and @John Weidner are aways very helpful every time I post a question. I truly appreciate both of your time and assistance while I work through the learning curve and find my first deal!

  • Investor, Landlord and Entrepreneur · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2010 · 27 posts · 15 votes
    12y

    Regarding your renovation costs its possible to get it done for 12-15k but you would need to keep your fixtures and materials basic home depot quality. You wouldn't be able to use nice granite, cabinets or tile etc....

    What year is the building?

    Are you saying you are going to keep the floors and just refinish or are you planning on ripping them out and replacing them? Are you including appliances, what about doors and trim?

    Furnaces can be a pain as they often face one direction so moving just the door isnt always feasible.

    You never mentioned real estate commissions or closing costs. Often there are other small costs that you might want to include as they can really eat into your profits on a smaller deal; things like home warranty, utilities or the final buyers repair/request list.

    Assuming an ARV of 90K, i wouldnt offer more than 55,000 as there are usually mistakes and unexpected costs early on in an investors career. Ideally if you could get the property for less than 50,000 then you should be safe. That being said you are unleveraged so your ROI is a bit low.

    I would suggest getting multiple agents to give you an ARV and pay close attention to the days on market for each. In areas like you are describing properties can sit on the market for some time before the right buyer comes along.

    I would also say scrap the 70% rule. Its much better to be fully aware of all the costs associated with this deal and make an informed decision. Lay everything out on an excel spread sheet and play with the numbers. Your real estate agent should be able to help you with closing costs, commissions and any other costs associated with the sale and your contractor with the rehab costs. The more time you spend thoroughly analyzing the details and building systems of analysis in the beginning, the easier it will be the next time.

    just my thoughts, pm me if you need any more help

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 710 posts · 200 votes
    12y

    @Travis Russell is it on the MLS?

    I'm not watching Albany but I can send you sold and pndg comps

    Let me know.

  • Rehabber · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 44 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    It is on the MLS @John Weidner . Just sent it to you in a PM.

    Thanks @Rejean Julien ! Yeah, for that area of the city it needs to be updated, but nothing high-end. Standard cabinets, fixtures and solid surface counters. I think the floors will ultimately need to come up, lay down a new subfloor to get rid of some old squeaks, and lay down new flooring. New doors and trim, but again basic but nice. Commissions and closing costs I already have factored in on my costs. I just didn't post that since it's always standard for each property. It was "implied" if you will! Just like taxes....you can't avoid paying them!

    I'm glad you also agree with scrapping the 70% rule! I do use excel to try and account for all possible line items and contingencies and I'm also trying to find a great template that has a lot of rehab costs already laid out for Chicago. Some of those resources are a little harder to find. I have an "idea" of what things should cost, but I would like to have more concrete numbers to go off of.

    Thanks again for your help! Any advice and tips are always appreciated!

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 710 posts · 200 votes
    12y

    don't forget lawyer, title, survey, and transfer taxes

    The soft costs can kill a deal quicker than the hard costs

  • Investor, Landlord and Entrepreneur · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2010 · 27 posts · 15 votes
    12y

    I wish I could tell you that there is a quick method of getting your rehab costs but, in my experience, the only Reliable method is to build them yourself based on labor and materials.

    Plus the work involved will allow you to make accurate alterations for future jobs. It will also give you perspective so that you can keep an eye out for cheaper or more effective trades/materials.

  • Rehabber · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 44 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    @John Weidner TOTALLY agree!!! Those add up, especially on the flips where many of those costs you have to account for, not only once, but twice!

  • Rehabber · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 44 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    @Rejean Julien That's helpful. At least I know now that I'm looking for a crystal ball in the same haystack! Experience, especially hands on, is often the most powerful way to build a solid and knowledgeable foundation. I'm getting there! Trying to compile as many resources as possible in the process.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.