Liens in my way wholesale deal

Liens in my way wholesale deal

Real Estate Investor · Gurnee, IL · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 1 vote

Hi,

My name is Garth I am a newbie wholesaler in the northern Illinois area. I have come across a property in my target area through my bandit sign marketing. The property is run down, needs a total rehab, and looks like a few squatters have been borrowing it. The owner hasn't been to the property in years and is just ready to sell as soon as possible. We agreed on a purchase price of 7k, but we haven't signed the contract yet. I am a bit hesitant because I recently found out there are 8 liens on the property totaling about 3k, also according to the county they owe 2k for unpaid taxes in 2010. I'm not sure if i can still make this deal happen. Should I come to the seller with a lower offer of 2k? Should I keep my offer the same and write the contract to state the liens will come out of their 7k? Or should I put the responsibility of the liens on the end buyer? I was planning on marketing this deal to my buyers for 13k, but these liens have my head spinning. This would be my 1st wholesale deal if I were to close. I could really use some advice from the bigger pocket community, I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks

0Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y
Contact a local realtor or attorney... That's gonna put this deal in a spin cycle quick! Follow Ricks advice. Seller pays liens out of price paid. Protect yourself with inspection periods, add value by dealing w squatters and or negotiating the lien balances down. Also, action is action. We all want our first deal but remember you are on the field and in the game. It's okay to play and not score, at least you aren't in the stands anymore being just a fan. You'll get one soon if you are hustling.
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Elkridge, MD · Member since 2014 · 77 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    Write the contract so you (and/or assigns) get clear title at closing.  All liens to be paid out of the 7K at closing.  Buyer would net about 2K.  Are you just thinking he wouldn't go for that?  

  • Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Take the deal off the market by tying it up subject to the liens, don't release any more that a few dollars, then work on getting full or partial releases of the liens.

    I haven't seen an "and/or assigns" clause drafted in that manner since 80's gurus told students to append buyer vesting with that term. Contractually it's Problematic.

    Best practice: "Buyer vesting to be determine in escrow"

    Who's still teaching these bad habits?

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Elkridge, MD · Member since 2014 · 77 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    @Rick H. You should seek guidance from a local Realtor or attorney for specific contract language, however you decide to proceed.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Contact a local realtor or attorney... That's gonna put this deal in a spin cycle quick! Follow Ricks advice. Seller pays liens out of price paid. Protect yourself with inspection periods, add value by dealing w squatters and or negotiating the lien balances down. Also, action is action. We all want our first deal but remember you are on the field and in the game. It's okay to play and not score, at least you aren't in the stands anymore being just a fan. You'll get one soon if you are hustling.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.