Refinance upside down/negative cashflow property into positive cashflow or get out?

Refinance upside down/negative cashflow property into positive cashflow or get out?

William MurrellPro Member
Investor · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2013 · 276 posts · 169 votes

So I have a house I purchased a number of years ago, right before the market tanked.  The purchase price was 145,500 and the interest is 6.25%.  I owe ~128k and it's probably worth ~105-110k.  I have been renting it for years at a negative cashflow as I didn't want to sell and have to put a bunch of cash with it.  And the way I look at it, the tenant is paying for the majority of it.  However, now I have about 30k extra cash and I have been looking at paying it in to reduce the principal and then refinancing, which would make it cashflow ~200/month.  If I stay as is, I lose about $300/ month.  If I sell it, I still have to put a bunch of money with it.  If I put that money into it and refinance, I will drop ~2% in interest and begin cashflowing.

It makes the most sense to me to put that cash toward the house and refinance for the cashflow to go from -$300 to +$200 per month.  However, I want to make sure I am using this money to the greatest effect and perhaps someone has a better idea.

  Input/ thoughts?

0Reply
30 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • William MurrellPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2013 · 276 posts · 169 votes
    12y

    I should clarify that it was my primary residence prior to me moving out and keeping it to rent.  I never would have purchased it in the first place if it was not able to cashflow.  

  • Salem, OR · Member since 2013 · 701 posts · 159 votes
    12y

    My thoughts are without more information.  Your options are:  refinance, do nothing or sell.

    If you refinance, you use the $30K to reduce principal and obtain new loan.  You will cash flow $200 per month so will take you 12.5 years to earn the $30K back.   But during this time the value will probably go up $30K or so and you will have paid down the mortgage by a like amount. 

    If you do nothing, you will keep the $30K but will lose $300 a month.  You will lose the $30K in 8.3 years.  You will also have appreciation and mortgage paydown.

    If you can sell after paying 7% selling costs you will net $97750 to $102,300.  You will be short $25,700 to $30,250.  You may be left with a little cash.

    It seems that the worse solution is to sell leaving you with little or nothing.

    In the long run refinancing gives you the most money with doing nothing in second place.

    Good Luck.

    Bill

  • William MurrellPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2013 · 276 posts · 169 votes
    12y

    Thanks, Bill.  That was what i was thinking but it never hurts to get a new set of eyes on a problem just to make sure you're on the right track.  

  • Investor · La Grande, OR · Member since 2014 · 194 posts · 176 votes
    12y

    Hey William, 

    I was stuck in a similar situation last year (about $15K underwater) and I chose to refinance the property with a large principal paydown in order to make it work as a rental. I only cash flow about $50 per month, however the principal pay down by the tenants, and tax advantages make it slightly more appealing. I am sure someone (who won't be paying the $20K out of their pocket) will tell you to sell and move on and take the loss, but I worked way to hard to make that money just to lose it. You are doing the right thing, and hopefully in time the home will appreciate back to where you bought it years down the road, making this payment just a large principal pay down mid-loan.

  • William MurrellPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2013 · 276 posts · 169 votes
    12y

    Thanks for the vote of solidarity!  I definitely intend to go forward with it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.