Potential Seller Finance In Calumet City.

Potential Seller Finance In Calumet City.

Investor · NW Indiana · Member since 2012 · 833 posts · 197 votes

Hi Everyone,

Just went to look at a house in Calumet City.  I have been trying to stay out of Cook and  away from 2 bedroom houses, but this owner is willing to do seller financing.  I had to at least go see it.  It hasn't been easy for me to find seller financing.

The house is in good condition, needs paint, a cleaning and has a cracked window.  It is a frame two bedroom, 1 bath, 1 detached garage.  Attic with a lot of space and an unfinished basement.

We haven't really talked about terms for seller financing.  I want to know what are usual terms? Or do they vary?  Before I mentioned seller finance, their asking price was 40K.  Not sure if that will change.

 They are currently getting $1000 a month in rent, the landlord pays water.  I looked up rental rates and it seems like average rent is 810 in the area.  I looked at rentometer.com.  Taxes are about 2,300.

I also want to know what people think of the area and anything I should look into.  Thank you!

0Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
11y

If you are in Illinois it maybe coined a "land contract".

See

http://www.atgf.com/tools-publications/pubs/may-20...

To me its like a car loan, the bank owns the car, I have some kind of ownership.  When I pay off the car loan, I own it free of liens.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Hi @Carolina E. 

    $40K with $1000 a month coming in?  Nice yield!

    What is the existing financing if any?

    If free and clear, do an installment sale.

    If a loan is in place, buy it on land contract or sub2 and a note with good terms.

    Or a lease option then assign for $2000 or so.

  • Investor · NW Indiana · Member since 2012 · 833 posts · 197 votes
    11y

    @Brian Gibbons  Thanks for the response.  They own it free and clear to the best of my knowledge.  I will double check if any liens on title.  What is an installment sale?

  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    If you are in Illinois it maybe coined a "land contract".

    See

    http://www.atgf.com/tools-publications/pubs/may-20...

    To me its like a car loan, the bank owns the car, I have some kind of ownership.  When I pay off the car loan, I own it free of liens.

  • Investor & Attorney · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 86 posts · 29 votes
    11y

    Nice deal! @Carolina E.  

    I own some property in Lansing, the next town over. If you're looking for a buyer or partner, I may be interested. Keep me in mind and good luck!

  • Investor · NW Indiana · Member since 2012 · 833 posts · 197 votes
    11y

    @Derek Martin  Thanks!  I actually am looking in Lansing as well.  What do you think of Calumet City area?  

  • Investor & Attorney · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 86 posts · 29 votes
    11y

    Crime in Calumet City is high...and it's getting worse. However, there are still good pockets. And, in general, rents are very high relative to property values. You should get good cashflow there but I wouldn't put all my eggs into that basket.

  • Igor S.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2013 · 110 posts · 35 votes
    11y

    @Carolina E. do you have an update on the deal?  I have a similar situation, also in Calumet City.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.