New Spec Coastal North Carolina

New Spec Coastal North Carolina

Contractor · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2014 · 157 posts · 89 votes

Ok, I am brand new here and have spent the last 4hrs (at least) reading diaries and listening to the podcast episodes at the same time. I am so impressed with the complete openness in this community, it is truly amazing! 

I am located in Carolina Beach, NC (south of Wilmington, NC) and am just starting out on my own as a new home builder. I have been in construction for over 25yrs, and spent the last 3+ yrs as a project manager where I managed 150+ new homes and townhomes. A couple of months ago, my position as Project Manager was eliminated, and I was let go. I had already seen this was coming, I just thought I had until next year. 

This put me in panic mode, and I immediately started working on getting started. I had no plans designed, no funding, and no cash. Because I had foreseen my making this step eventually, I had pitched my ideas out to some friends with connections in the private investment realm. Nothing had come about by that at this point. 

As soon as I lost my job, I took a hard look at what little bit of cash I had and decided I could survive for a few months and decided to go full speed ahead at making this happen. I started my LLC, invested in a new design, researched competitive market analysis for where I wanted to live, etc...

I knew I wouldn't be able to get traditional financing, so continued courting private funding options. I finalized my plans and put the entire project out to bid. Armed with all this data, it made my project an easier sell. 

Long story (and helluva roller coaster ride), I partnered with an investor and we secured funding for my first three specs, including lots, last week. 

My plan is called "The Aruba", rendering and floorplans:

I have so much more to tell, but for now I will leave you with this:

Lot Cost: $91,500 (it's 5 blocks to ocean, yet out of flood zone, prime lots)

Construction Cost: $185,00 (just under $110/ft for build, I may be able to get that to $100/ft)

Sale Price: $359,900

I plan on closing on the lots in a few weeks, then starting 3 in a row (one every 30 days). 

Ultimately, I have a goal to buy and hold with my profits over my overhead/bills, actually I like to call it a build and hold. Areas I will likely do this will be off the beach, lots $30-$50k, build costs $80/ft, ultimately with no debt initially, so one per year starting in 2016. 

I look forward to learning from you all, and thanks to all of you for creating such a great community and sharing your stories!

2Reply
165 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 40 posts · 2 votes
11y
Thanks for journaling this experience- I look forward to hearing what comes next!
See this reply in the discussion

61 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Triangle Area, NC · Member since 2012 · 587 posts · 214 votes
    11y

    @Keith Bloemendaal

    You're tearing it up over there in Carolina Beach! I'll have to take a trip over there once you've completed these projects and see the finished product. Keep up the good work.

  • Contractor · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2014 · 157 posts · 89 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Michael Jobe:

    @Keith Bloemendaal

    You're tearing it up over there in Carolina Beach! I'll have to take a trip over there once you've completed these projects and see the finished product. Keep up the good work.

     I am looking at having the first one completed end of May, you are more than welcome to come see anytime! 

  • Contractor · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2014 · 157 posts · 89 votes
    11y

    Hey guys/gals,

    It's been awhile since I have updated, sorry about that. So much has happened since April! 

    First of all, this home is almost complete, and is going under contract for $367,300 today. Some pics below of the home now. 

    Numbers:

    $367,300 Sale Price

    $91,500 lot

    $195,000 building/loan costs

    $18,365 R/E commission

    $5k closing costs

    $57,435 estimated profit. (still a few things to complete on home) which is roughly 15%. Not bad for my first build! 

    I also have 4 other homes started now (one just starting this week), 2 of which have already sold. One at $370k, the other is at $420k and climbing. I also put 4 more lots under contract, which have now increased to $100-$105k, so that as soon as a home goes under contract I can replace it. Trying to keep 3 specs going at all times.....

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 128 posts · 37 votes
    11y

    Congratulations! This is truly inspiring, I hope to be doing projects like this in the future!

    The home turned out great, Good luck on your current projects! Will definitely be following the youtube channel. 

  • Contractor · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2014 · 157 posts · 89 votes
    11y

    Completed pics:
    (not as much profit as I had hoped, but we made money, am fine tuning the next builds now)

    These are the pro pics I had done so I can use as stock photos for my specs as they are coming out of the ground. The buyers moved in and are thrilled. 

    The house appraised for $20k more than I sold it for, good for them, bad for me. I am inching prices up on the next ones $5-$10k+ and have 4 others going now and am permitting a 5th. Two of those are already sold and close over the coming weeks. 

  • Realtor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 935 posts · 467 votes
    11y

    @Keith Bloemendaal you nailed it! You deserve every dime you can make on this beautiful product. Persevere.

  • Real Estate Broker · Triangle Area, NC · Member since 2012 · 587 posts · 214 votes
    11y

    @Keith Bloemendaal

    Very impressive work. If I may ask a couple of questions (and feel free to PM me if you'd rather not answer them in a public forum):

    What was your cost per sq ft all-in with land acquisitions to the completed product excluding the appliances?

    What was the approximate time from lot clearing to 100% completed build?

    Would you be willing to do some custom building in the RTP area if the dollars made sense?

    Again, very impressed with the work and I'm sure the pics don't do it justice at all. I'll definitely be contacting you when I'm ready to build (or buy) a beach house!

  • Contractor · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2014 · 157 posts · 89 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Michael Jobe:

    @Keith Bloemendaal

    Very impressive work. If I may ask a couple of questions (and feel free to PM me if you'd rather not answer them in a public forum):

    What was your cost per sq ft all-in with land acquisitions to the completed product excluding the appliances?

    What was the approximate time from lot clearing to 100% completed build?

    Would you be willing to do some custom building in the RTP area if the dollars made sense?

    Again, very impressed with the work and I'm sure the pics don't do it justice at all. I'll definitely be contacting you when I'm ready to build (or buy) a beach house!

     I don't mind answering at all. 

    Hard construction and land costs came to $165/ft. Which is high because it is a smaller home (1811') and land is close to $100k per lot (it is actually over that now). 

    Build time was right at 5mos. 

    Yes, My business partner is actually in Fuquay, and my surveyor/civil engineer is in Garner. I have explored the area looking at the market, but just barely. I have thought of expanding and if the number work it wouldn't bother me at all to spend a 2-3 days a week up there. 

  • Huntersville, NC · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 1 vote
    10y
    We need to talk... I am from CB and my dad still lives there and has been talking about selling his house and "extra " lot... PM me and I can talk to my dad for you... Might not happen soon but he has been talking about selling... It's a lead of nothing else... He just plays horseshoes on the extra lot now...
  • Cumberland Gap, VA · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    This GUY! 

    I've always thought that guys like you who know how to build having worked for medium size production builders in the past are really in the cat bird seat. You have the experience and contacts to make a great house and know how to manage time and materials. These are the hardest things to learn. However, the entrepreneurial spirit and plain old cash requirements stop you from doing this on your own. I would kill to go back in time and work for a builder instead of spending so much time getting degree's. You are rocking a rolling. Now go get more lots.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.