Feeling I got screwed on deal I was putting together

Feeling I got screwed on deal I was putting together

Investor · Frankfort, IL · Member since 2015 · 206 posts · 55 votes

shame on me for not putting the properties under contract.  I was trying to quadruple check everything and learned a very expensive lesson. 

I was shopping a lender to see if they'd find the deal before I submitted an offer and pretty sure it bit me in the ***.  I didn't tell anyone but my inner circle about the actual properties.  Yesterday I sent my rehab worksheets and final proposal to my local lender and bam properties under contract today.  

Now these aren't properties just listed. They've been sitting over 60 days.   I over analyze everything and just so many coincidences that someone had to of gotten ahold of my proposal.  I'm placing backup offers but doubt they'll get anywhere.  

Bummed.....

0Reply
7 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
11y

On a listed property you can't count it out. I have had stranger things happen. You are right though. Contracts would have eliminated the "feeling". 

Write it up as a lesson and move on.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    On a listed property you can't count it out. I have had stranger things happen. You are right though. Contracts would have eliminated the "feeling". 

    Write it up as a lesson and move on.

  • Investor · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Nick Versetto

    You now know the mistake you made and have hopefully learned that the time to build relationships (lenders, buyers, etc.) is before you find a deal, not after.  Never forget that money is always chasing deals, not vice versa.  

  • Realtor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    @Nick Versetto

     Fortunately for me being in commercial real estate as an agent I was able to witness this firsthand before I had a chance to make that mistake myself. As a rule of thumb (or in client cases as a rule of fiduciary duty) whether working on a property for myself or a client, never disclose any details of a deal to anyone who is not a party to the transaction until the deal has closed. I learned early on that loose lips sink ships and you have nothing to gain from relaying information unless you or your client have the property under control or closed.

    Its a terrible lesson to learn the hard way, but I'm sure that you won't make the same mistake. Just always remember the past is the past, move on and learn from what happened. Mistakes aren't always really mistakes, just lessons in disguise. 

  • Investor · Frankfort, IL · Member since 2015 · 206 posts · 55 votes
    11y

    thanks for the comments.  I just need to let it go and move on to the next. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.