Starting May 3rd - I will almost be a full time real estate investor

Starting May 3rd - I will almost be a full time real estate investor

Accountant · cedar rapids, IA · Member since 2013 · 99 posts · 46 votes

So right now I work in public accounting and just finished up tax season. This tax season was a bit challenging since this is the first tax season I had a baby at home. Working long hours plus the 35 minute commute made for a long tax season.  So I began looking for a new job not in public accounting and closer to home...I found one and interviewed for it and ended up accepting their offer. I told my current employer on April 1st..(he thought it was a april fool's joke)...once he realized I was serious and needed to put in my 2 weeks he made me a counter offer. The counter was: 

Work December thru April 30th and then from May 1 to November just work 1 day a week (still get paid the same). So basically I will have 4 full work days from May to November to focus on REI. So beginning May 3rd I will begin to taste what it's like to be doing real estate basically full time and will be able to ramp up the amount of deals I am doing. Currently just focusing on flips. Pretty excited to get started.

1Reply
31 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Fairfield-New Haven-Hartford County, CT · Member since 2013 · 825 posts · 413 votes
    11y

    Smoking offer - that's awesome! 

  • Property Manager · Big Bear Lake, CA · Member since 2013 · 585 posts · 330 votes
    11y

    Wow, that is fantastic. I wish someone would pay me a full-time salary for working only 1 day a week! 

    Good luck with your new career.

  • Accountant · cedar rapids, IA · Member since 2013 · 99 posts · 46 votes
    11y

    It's a function of what I bill out so it works for both sides. 

  • Investor · Lake, FL · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 28 votes
    11y

    Great idea. Try something low risk to get experience.  Does your area price appreciate (even a little) and cash flow good?

  • Accountant · cedar rapids, IA · Member since 2013 · 99 posts · 46 votes
    11y

    @ken a. I have no clue what you are talking about. 

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Wow.  Clearly you're an awesome tax guy.  Good luck!

  • Bulawayo, Zimbabwe · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 253 votes
    11y

    Great circumstances.ideal to ramp up amount of deals done.all the best

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.