Flip gone bad. Need advice please.

Flip gone bad. Need advice please.

Vancouver , British Columbia · Member since 2014 · 28 posts · 5 votes
So I purchased a condo that I was going to live in flip. I did all the renovations and turned out great even after a few hiccups and came in on budget ($40k). But the hoa voted and passed special assessments to upgrade the building envelope and is doing it in a few sections. The first assessment has already cost me ($25k) and they don't know what the future ones will cost but might be another $30-$40k. This is eaten away at my profit because I now have the unexpected cost and can't price the property at the higher price that I had originally planned cause of the upcoming repairs. I've had two offers and both deals fell apart cause of the upcoming work, and now my agent is wanting me to drop my price again. I'm already at a break even price and if I lower it any more I will begin to lose money. My agent is suggesting that I lower it $30k-$40k and hope for multiple offers( the market I'm in is red hot and am seeing multiple offers on most things and a lot are going for well over asking). That scares me. I have permission to rent it but wouldn't get me around the upcoming $30k+ work coming up . Am I better to cut my losses and call it a learning experience and sell at a loss or hold on to it ? Any advice would be great. Thanks bp
0Reply
37 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

I would suggest you cut your losses and move on unless there's a strong reason to believe that the property value will increase like crazy in the near future.  Maybe with the new assessments that might be happen.  A lot of investors make good money on condos but I have stayed away from them for the reasons you stated.

Good Luck

See this reply in the discussion

53 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Vancouver , British Columbia · Member since 2014 · 28 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    So my neighbour came to me with an interesting idea. I'm looking to see if anyone's done this before.

    He wants to sell the whole building to a developer. Our building is in prime location in Vancouver and has the air rights for ten floors. Currently there are 44 units and the building has 4 floors. It's a large foot print and could support a tower. I guess the hard part would be getting the support of everyone in the building. But with all the upcoming work that needs to be done it might be a easier sale.

    Has anyone else done this before?

  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 84 posts · 8 votes
    11y

    If the market is hot like you all say then there must be something about your unit you are not telling us.  In a hot market everything within reason SELLS and quickly.

  • Herndon, VA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 324 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Beau Walsh:

    So my neighbour came to me with an interesting idea. I'm looking to see if anyone's done this before.

    He wants to sell the whole building to a developer. Our building is in prime location in Vancouver and has the air rights for ten floors. Currently there are 44 units and the building has 4 floors. It's a large foot print and could support a tower. I guess the hard part would be getting the support of everyone in the building. But with all the upcoming work that needs to be done it might be a easier sale.

    Has anyone else done this before?

     Have you pursued this idea?  Any idea what the ball park would be for an offer on the building.  It looks like it would have to be in the $20 million plus range to make sense to sell out.  Although offering units in the new building could reduce the cash cost to the developer.

    Do the board docs specify how to sell the whole condo?  I think you would have to talk to some board members to get the process started.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.