hi everyone, I am in a rough situation right now. I'm have had to leave my apartment and need a home (currently staying with mom.) I have tossed around the idea of house hacking because I really need the income and a place to live. I have been looking at what looks like a great deal and may have a lender on board but i just don't think I'm ready to analyze this deal by myself yet.
"i just don't think I'm ready to analyze this deal by myself yet." Nicole, I would wholeheartedly suggest to you to stay away from RE investing until you acquire more knowledge - practical and theoretical, and become comfortable with it. You will save yourself from a potential disaster.
Thanks,
sorry I had to take my son to speech therapy. I'm back now, here is the link to the agent's listing for the property
I have been listening to podcasts and reading up on analyzing a deal but it still looks really daunting
That doesn't seem like a very good deal but I know nothing of the neighborhood or the condition of the house beyond the pictures in the listing.
Zillow says it is worth about $200k less than the asking price. Zillow is often wrong sometimes substantially so, but it does provide comps and I'm seeing a lot of recent sales in the $200-300K range.
I'm pretty sure this is not a good deal.
Beyond the price, the crime report within one mile of that listing is concerning:
(Source:http://www.trulia.com/property/3200380771-253-S-46...)
Keep listening to the podcasts, keep looking and keep learning. I Hope that helps.
| Date | Type | Description |
|---|---|---|
| 05/12/2015 | Assault | Shooting/Stabbing. PD o/s of a founded stabbing. No suspect info. Victim transported by PD to Presbyterian Hospital |
| 05/10/2015 | Assault | Aggravated Assault No Firearm |
| 05/10/2015 | Theft | Motor Vehicle Theft |
| 05/10/2015 | Theft | Theft from Vehicle |
| 05/10/2015 | Assault | Aggravated Assault No Firearm |
| 05/10/2015 | Theft | Motor Vehicle Theft |
| 05/10/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/10/2015 | Robbery | Robbery No Firearm |
| 05/10/2015 | Burglary | Burglary Residential |
| 05/10/2015 | Assault | Homicide - Criminal |
| 05/10/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/10/2015 | Robbery | Robbery No Firearm |
| 05/10/2015 | Robbery | Robbery No Firearm |
| 05/10/2015 | Assault | Aggravated Assault No Firearm |
| 05/09/2015 | Robbery | Robbery No Firearm |
| 05/09/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/09/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/09/2015 | Theft | Theft from Vehicle |
| 05/09/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/09/2015 | Robbery | Robbery No Firearm |
| 05/09/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/09/2015 | Assault | Aggravated Assault No Firearm |
| 05/09/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/09/2015 | Theft | Theft from Vehicle |
| 05/09/2015 | Assault | Aggravated Assault No Firearm |
| 05/08/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/08/2015 | Burglary | Burglary Residential |
| 05/08/2015 | Burglary | Burglary Residential |
| 05/08/2015 | Assault | Aggravated Assault Firearm |
| 05/08/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/08/2015 | Robbery | Robbery Firearm |
| 05/08/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/08/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/08/2015 | Assault | Aggravated Assault No Firearm |
| 05/08/2015 | Theft | Theft from Vehicle |
| 05/08/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/08/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/08/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/08/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/08/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/08/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/08/2015 | Burglary | Burglary Residential |
| 05/08/2015 | Assault | Aggravated Assault No Firearm |
| 05/07/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/07/2015 | Theft | Theft from Vehicle |
| 05/07/2015 | Burglary | Burglary Residential |
| 05/07/2015 | Theft | Theft from Vehicle |
| 05/07/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/07/2015 | Theft | Theft from Vehicle |
| 05/07/2015 | Assault | Aggravated Assault Firearm |
| 05/07/2015 | Theft | Motor Vehicle Theft |
| 05/07/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/07/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/07/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/07/2015 | Assault | Aggravated Assault No Firearm |
| 05/06/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/04/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/04/2015 | Assault | Aggravated Assault Firearm |
| 05/04/2015 | Assault | Aggravated Assault No Firearm |
| 05/04/2015 | Theft | Theft from Vehicle |
| 05/04/2015 | Assault | Aggravated Assault Firearm |
| 05/04/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/04/2015 | Assault | Aggravated Assault Firearm |
| 05/04/2015 | Theft | Theft from Vehicle |
| 05/04/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/04/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/04/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/04/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/04/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/04/2015 | Assault | Rape |
| 05/04/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/04/2015 | Robbery | Robbery No Firearm |
| 05/04/2015 | Theft | Motor Vehicle Theft |
| 05/04/2015 | Theft | Theft from Vehicle |
| 05/04/2015 | Theft | Thefts |
| 05/03/2015 | Robbery | Robbery No Firearm |
| 05/01/2015 | Assault | Aggravated Assault No Firearm |
"i just don't think I'm ready to analyze this deal by myself yet." Nicole, I would wholeheartedly suggest to you to stay away from RE investing until you acquire more knowledge - practical and theoretical, and become comfortable with it. You will save yourself from a potential disaster.
Thanks,
@Michael R To be fair Michael, University City and Philly in general is a very block to block case in terms of crime. A one mile general radius search is very deceptive. You have an Ivy League institution (Alma mater! Go Penn!) about 6-8 blocks away. You would really have to take a good walk around the area to get an accurate gauge on the safety.
But echoing Aleksandar's point, I would do a little more diligence number wise Nicole. Looking at the place, the price is very elevated. If you put down 20% down payment you would still be facing a mortgage of about ~3,000 a month (5% interest and other assumptions) the other side of the duplex is a 3 bedroom and would need to pull in about ~1,000 a month per bedroom to cover your expenses. Doable but give the area from past experience, to get kids to go that far off campus, it might be hard to attract them with those prices (especially with just one full bathroom). Could maybe get away with $700 per bedroom which would not put you in a terrible spot. (~$900 out of pocket, unless you rent out the other 2 rooms on your side, then you could possibly make money)
The main problem with this assumption is that this is assuming 20% down. If you are currently in a rough spot, then you will most likely be looking into FHA options, where now your monthly all in come to around ~3,600.
It will be hard at that monthly all in to get renters to cover that expense and for you to not have a financial burden.
You're on the right track and keep looking into options, I just don't think this particular house is your solution (unless you get it for a steep discount. If you do we can run the numbers again)
Keep us updated,
Chudi
@Cal C. thanks I will use zillow for comps on other properties
@Michael R. I am looking for FHA financing but if I can't qualify I'm considering hard money
@Cal C. thanks I will use zillow for comps on other properties
@Michael R. , @Chukwudi Motanya is right about philly's crime being a block by block case. My grandmother lives a few blocks away from the property further into southwest and my church is in the "bottom" as most Philadelphians call this part of west philly.
@Aleksandar Popivoda, you're right I do need to become more comfortable and knowledgeable about REI, I am considering going for a real estate license for that reason.
@Chukwudi Motanya I am looking for FHA financing but if I can't qualify I'm considering hard money
Sounds like you know your market well. With that said -- what would be your plan for going after hard money?
I just met with some investors at a BP meetup -- a hard money term loan one investor had was 6 months @ 14%.
this is the first direct offer I got from one of the lenders i have been checking out
|
@Nicole F. Sell or Be Sold girl!!! I am a big fan of GC!!!
So - with regard to the hard money loan (disclaimer - this is all from podcasts / books and conversations with hard money borrowers - no actual experience so take it as is) -- hard money is typically, as advertised above, short term (6 months to 5 years in some cases from what I have heard/read). This also translates to expensive (as 10-14%). So hard money is typically used to finance a flip with the intent of refinancing out of that hard money loan after 6 months or so depending on terms.
So my question is - from the folks that have advertised the hard money to you, what are their terms? Can you afford their terms? What is your exit strategy to go from their hard money to cheaper terms if that is part of your plan?
Another option you may consider is looking for a lease option that is a duplex. Again, I don't know your market, but you may look to that as another option.
Podcast 41 has some great examples of lease options.
thats really interesting, i havent heard of that before. Thanks . Also @Account Closed have u heard of a company based in philadelphia called ABC Capital? They are a sort of hybrid rental turnkey/ property management company with realtors and renovators. I have been checking them out for a couple years but am unsure of how trustworthy they are and if their deals are sound, as i am still learning how to analyze. Deals. Any opinion or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I think this might end up just being a good learning experience. You can learn to run alll the numbers on this one. You need a place to live so there is a certain amount of rent that you must be able to handle as your rent so figure that into the mix and treat your self like a regular tenant to figure the deal.
Use the selling agent as a resource. You can ask him/her to figure the numbers. You can at the same time ask them to come up with other duplexes triplexes that are less money. Its a good learning start for you and even if you pass it up you will know so much more for the next one, Its an old house so you need information on what they have done with the electric plumbing heat/ roof etc.
You are on the right track. Join a real estate club and a Real Estate Meet Up Group in your area. You will learn a lot more there
@Nicole F., what do you mean by "house hacking"?
@Nicole F., what do you mean by "house hacking"?
House Hacking is when you need a place to live and buy a duplex, or Triplex or Quad. You then live in one apartment and have the ability to have the rent from the other apartments's rent cover your rent and maybe also be cash flowing
@Nicole F., what do you mean by "house hacking"?
House Hacking is when you need a place to live and buy a duplex, or Triplex or Quad. You then live in one apartment and have the ability to have the rent from the other apartments's rent cover your rent and maybe also be cash flowing
Thanks Barbara. Now got it. This strategy is great at the beginning (so long as you are comfortable living at where you are buying). For 1) you are always your best tenant, and 2) you get to save up by doing your small little fixes yourself and 3) quickest to learn how to deal with tenants.
Che says re Houe Hacking:
Thanks Barbara. Now got it. This strategy is great at the beginning (so long as you are comfortable living at where you are buying). For 1) you are always your best tenant, and 2) you get to save up by doing your small little fixes yourself and 3) quickest to learn how to deal with tenants.
Well Che not only gets it but he has figured out what is good/better about House Hacking. Yes you get all kinds of managment experience by living in your own investment. You also develop Tenant knowledge, you also sharpen your handi man skills. It's the perfect all around Landlord experience.
In addition you ar eligible for an FHA 3 1/2% loan if you House hack so you can start with very little money down.
thanks @Barbara G. I couldn't have put it better
I just read a good article on house-hacking
here's another deal I'm looking at
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/reo/4961397113....
What does everyone think about fsbo's?
Nicole what is fsbo?
This is CASH. This doesn't go beyond that word.
We can't do this one
@Michael R. As far as my market, I've been listening to Grant Cardone and starting in my own backyard