West End Atlanta Flip 30310

West End Atlanta Flip 30310

Educator and Investor · Decatur, GA · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 4 votes

Had an offer accepted on a house in Historic West End ATL...maybe a house that no one else wanted?  865 Rose Circle -- I know part of the pass-over may have been location, but with the Beltline coming in, the access to the Marta, and the fact that some rehabs on White St. and other surrounding streets are happening, I'm excited. This is our first flip, so of course we have doubters. We are getting bids at the end of this week. I've been studying comps, both listed and sold, and am curious about biggest bang for my buck, specifically in these areas (right now it's a 4/2):

1. Prioritize "Open concept" -- the kitchen is currently separated from the front room by a bedroom. Could open up that bedroom and then would have a 3/2 with open concept. BUT the master would have a jack and jill bath (or if we had an exclusive master, 2 of the bedrooms would only have a bathroom across the house)

2. Prioritize Master suite -- is this more important than open concept?  We could keep the master suite, and make one of the tiny bedrooms an eat-in kitchen.  A 3/2 with a master suite and a decent kitchen. Kitchen and eat-in area are separate from the front living area.

3. Prioritize # of Bedrooms - If we have a small master suite and a small kitchen with no eat-in area, we would still have a 4/2. (front room, shotgun hallway with bedrooms on each side, kitchen in the back. This would be the simplest and cheapest, but also a lower ARV, I'm sure.

Interested in opinions, especially from Atlantans who have tried to sell in West End. We think we can have an ARV of 175k or higher.

Thanks!

Lynn

1Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 646 posts · 392 votes
10y

Hi @Lynn Angus

Congratulations  on getting the house under contract. The location is not bad as it is closer to Adair Park and long term trends for the area are trending in the positive direction. There are some really sketchy parts of west end however, this does not seem to be like one. I am tagging @Rick Baggenstoss as he is our resident expert on the West End area and has great deal of experience in West End. 

Take a look at the market insights from September 2015 for 30310 zipcode. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out. 

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Atlanta · Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    @Lynn Angus @Rick Baggenstoss

    I am a new member looking for advice on Rose Circle. I am being told that Rose Circle (across the road from Lee + White) is not that great at the moment, so I was wondering if you could share some insights. 

    I have a 3 bedroom 1 bathroom house there which I will need to fix it in order to rent again.  I am wondering if selling makes better sense.

    Any thoughts would be very appreciated.

    Thanks!

  • Developer · Decatur, GA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Hi Monica - If your numbers are ok on Rose Circle, hang on! There's a lot of big plans in the commercial pipeline for Murphy Crossing, Lee St, and Lee & White.  I think Rose Circle will benefit greatly.  

    I have rentals in the area and each year the demand grows.  The only problem is the houses become valuable, taxes go up, rents go up more moderately, and I feel pressure to sell/exchange and get my yield up. 

    Good luck!

  • Investor · Atlanta · Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    Thanks so much for your comments @Rick Baggenstoss I really appreciate your thoughts. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.