Cash out refinance success

Cash out refinance success

Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes

I wanted to post the story of a rental house that we purchased a few months ago and just got done with a cash out refinance.  The numbers are great and I think they will give some of you the motivation needed to pull the trigger on a similar property.  

House is a 4/3 in a gated community. It was a HUD foreclosure and the previous model home in a community that is still building new construction homes. The area is dominated by military, health care, and some executive rentals.

The purchase price was $185k and we put just under $5k into the home for closing costs and light renovations (paint, cleaning, gutters, fridge).  Cash purchase all in at $190k.  

We rented the house out immediately on a long term lease at $1775/month with the tenant responsible for all utilities and lawn maintenance.   So, this house was just under the 1% rule which is what I shoot for in my upscale rental properties.  However, the rent will increase 3% per year so we will get there in about 2 years.  

I contacted my online lender after 2 months of purchase and got the cash out process going, the house appraised at $265k and at 70% LTV I was able to pull out $185,500 on my cash out with no origination fee, 4.5% APR, 30 year am, and $1k lender credit at closing.

So, we now have about $5,500 into the house (due to closing costs) and it is cash flowing at just over $300/month once maintenance, capex and vacancies are included.  I currently self manage our properties but that would drop the cash flow in the future when they all get passed over to PM.

I did need the upfront cash and had to find the deal but for a little bit out of pocket we were able to add a great cash flowing property to our inventory.  And, the day after closing we bought another one with the cash!  

The deals are out there, anyone else have a similar story?

MODERATOR:  NO REQUESTS FOR LENDERS IN THIS THREAD, PLEASE.  SUCH REQUESTS MUST BE POSTED ONLY IN THE MARKETPLACE.

11Reply
146 views

Most Popular Reply

Gino BarbaroPro Member
Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y

@William Allen@Jake Stenziano

Hi William

Great deal.  My partners and I have had success with all of our purchases the past two years.  Our business plan is to buy underperforming multis from burned out motivated sellers.  Our first purchase was a 25 unit property.  We purchased a 136 unit for 4.075 million in feb 2014 that was grossing 50,000 per month with about 30 vacancies.  In 12 months we were able to increase revenue to 85,000 per month through rent increases, fees just by taking care of deferred maintenance and offering great customer service

We went to the bank in December 2014 and tried to refi.  They could not believe the performance of the property and came in with a 5.7 million appraisal which we new was too low.  We struggled for 8 more months until a local bank came in with a 6.5 million dollar appraisal, and we cashed out 1. 6 million dollars 

My mentor told me the way to wealth is to go as big as possible and I did not believe him until this deal.  In business the more peopl you serve the wealthier you will become and it is true in renting to tenants

We are in the process of refinancing our smaller properties, but this would not have been possible if we did not buy right 

Good luck

Gino

See this reply in the discussion

77 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Oak Harbor, WA · Member since 2014 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    10y
    William Allen congrats. I'm doing the exact same deals as we speak. Hopefully these low rates stay around for a bit longer so that one day we can be more like Gino Barbaro
  • Investor · Paterson, NJ · Member since 2013 · 77 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    @William Allen This is a great story! I am looking to do the same. I am interested in how you financed the property?

  • Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    10y

    @Wayne Mack

    Are you asking how I financed it initially?  Or what kind of loan I put on it after the refinance?

  • Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Which online lender did you use? I've ran into a situation where they state that you can't do a cash out refinance until you've held the property under your name in title for 6 months. Sounds like you were able to do it within the first few months. Any tips/help on shopping around would be greatly appreciated!

  • Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    10y

    My recommendation is to ask if they know about the delayed financing exemption. If not, find one that does. 

  • Investor · Ardmore, OK · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    Very helpful thread! Thanks.

  • Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    10y

    @Pam B.

    Glad you found it helpful, I'm working on doing the same thing again but this time with a local portfolio lender.

  • Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2014 · 109 posts · 37 votes
    10y
    Gino Barbaro Hey Gino, So with that large 4 million dollar purchase with the 1.6 million cash out, I assume you do not pay taxes on that, is that correct? Say down the road you sell the building for 10 million, it would be a capital gains off of the refinanced loan. Am I understanding this right?
  • Gino BarbaroPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    hi david

    I am not an accountant, but my understanding is that on the refi there are no taxes

    When I sell, I am on the hook for the capital gain plus the recapture of the depreciation

    That's why I am hesitant to sell unless I can perform a 1031 into another deal

    Either way, I will be happy because of the appreciation

  • Real Estate Investor · Schertz, TX · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    That's great! I like to hear stories like that.

  • Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    10y

    @Kris Baldwin

    Thanks!  

  • Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Hi William,

    Did you have to put together a letter of explanation for the cash out? If so can you mention a few of the ways you explained the reasons you needed the money. I am in the process of doing this myself and am looking for advice.

    Kind Regards,

    Scott

  • Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    10y

    @Scott Trefethen

    I didn't but I would have just said I'm going to buy another investment property. 

  • Gino BarbaroPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @William Allen

    Great job William.  I would only add if you start doing that with larger properties, you will see your wealth explode.  You are velocitizing your money!

    Congrats

    Gino

  • Real Estate Investor · Olathe, KS · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 26 votes
    10y

    @Andrew Syrios That's Awesome.  I'm in the KC area to, do you mind sharing the lender you're using to do your refinances? Is so please send me a PM.  Thanks!

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Chad Hotovec:

    @Andrew Syrios That's Awesome.  I'm in the KC area to, do you mind sharing the lender you're using to do your refinances? Is so please send me a PM.  Thanks!

     Hi Chad, I would check out Bank 21, Fidelity Bank, Alterra Bank and Cornerstone Bank. Good luck!

  • Real Estate Investor · Olathe, KS · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 26 votes
    10y

    @Andrew Syrios This is great!  Thank you for the help.  

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Chad Hotovec:

    @Andrew Syrios This is great!  Thank you for the help.  

     My pleasure Chad, good luck getting refinanced!

  • Podunk, WA · Member since 2015 · 109 posts · 30 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @William Allen:

    @Account Closed

    Take a look at these links, they will have the answers you are looking for. The delayed financing exemption will allow you to do a cash out refinance before the home has seasoned for 6 months. There are matrices on here as well that show the max LTV and min credit score needed depending on what kind of property and type of loan.

    https://www.fanniemae.com/content/guide/selling/b2/1.2/03.html

    https://www.fanniemae.com/content/guide/selling/b2/2/03.html

    https://www.fanniemae.com/content/eligibility_information/eligibility-matrix.pdf

    Congrats and thanks William for the FannieMae links.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.