How can I legally abandon my vacant lot?

How can I legally abandon my vacant lot?

Union, KY · Member since 2013 · 6 posts · 0 votes

I have a empty residential lot in a good neighborhood that I bought for cash, thinking to build a spec house on it.  The reality is the lot is too steep (needs grading, piers, sewage pumps, ect.) to build cost effectively.  It's buildable, but doubt I could make any $.

So, its been for sale for 3 years and no takers.  So it's sitting there and I do nothing but pay property taxes on it. 

How can I legally abandon it? It is owned by my LLC

Any  ideas?

THX

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · west seneca, NY · Member since 2014 · 376 posts · 211 votes
10y

give it to a charity like habitat for humanity. they will build a house on it for the needy people, and you can write off the entire market value from your taxes

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Have you approached each adjoining neighbor to make them an offer they can't refuse?  Have you protested the tax appraisal showing them the true market value?

  • Investor · west seneca, NY · Member since 2014 · 376 posts · 211 votes
    10y

    give it to a charity like habitat for humanity. they will build a house on it for the needy people, and you can write off the entire market value from your taxes

  • Union, KY · Member since 2013 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    THX for the comments.  The adjoining neighbors have no interest in the lot.  The lot is too far from the bus line for Habitat for Humanity to consider.  

    So, I am considering "walking away", how to legally abandon the property? My investment was not substantial, just paying the property tax to me is making the pain worse.  Cutting losses seems to be the next move.

  • Chris K.Pro Member
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    10y

    Stop paying the taxes on it. They'll send it to tax sale and someone will buy it or they will own it.

  • Investor · west seneca, NY · Member since 2014 · 376 posts · 211 votes
    10y

    chris has the right idea. i have seen people do that

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.