Just Got Clear to Close on First Investment Property!

Just Got Clear to Close on First Investment Property!

Investor · Dyer, IN · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 6 votes

Our story begins over 10 years ago when I became interested in the idea of investing in real estate.  Countless hours researching online, several books, tons of podcasts, and plenty of sweat & tears later I finally received clear to close on my first investment property in Northwest Indiana.  BiggerPockets was definitely the final push that got me to this point, so thanks to everyone who helped me here!

Since November I have been searching for my first deal with my (very patient) Realtor. I changed my mind from initially looking at duplexes to eventually settling on single family, changed the area I was looking a couple times, and changes my criteria for properties as I received feedback on BP. I finally found a 3 bed 1 bath REO property in Griffith, IN which met all my criteria so I jumped at the deal and made an offer.

Since then, here is a short list of surprise complications which made me wonder if we would ever get through it: 

-seller (bank) had some initial reserves with me using a loan even though the listing said conventional loans were fine

-seller made me prequalify with their bank even if I wanted to use a lender of my choice 

-struggled for a few weeks trying to get a lost W2 from previous employer for underwriter 

-while in underwriting I needed to supply some new document ever couple days (or so it seemed), go on a conference call with my banks and credit bureau, write nearly 10 letters of explanation, until I was ready for them to ask for the blood of my firstborn 

-after the home was inspected it was vandalized when someone broke a bedroom window 

-bank refused to fix the window and lender wouldn't move forward until it was fixed leaving me to do repairs on a house I didn't own

-lender nearly backed out because I wanted to use money loaned to me for the down payment

-lender rejected first couple insurance providers I supplied until we finally worked something out

So here we are, after all that I'm cleared to close and begin fixing the house up and getting it ready to rent (BRRRR). I'm still optimistic and glad I persevered even when it got a bit stressful, and if I could advise anyone in my position I would say don't let setbacks get you down. If you hang in there you will still get the end result you set out for initially.

And once again, thanks BiggerPockets!

2Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · tampa, Florida (FL) · Member since 2013 · 206 posts · 96 votes
10y
Thats awesome, congrats. Those set backs are what keep the people who wont last in the business from ever actually investing, way to push thru and make your first purchase
See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Griffith, IN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 913 votes
    10y

    Fantastic! 

  • Investor · Chesterton, IN · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Congratulations!!! I felt your pain several times.  Good luck with your house..keep us posted on your progress.

  • Investor · IN · Member since 2012 · 263 posts · 168 votes
    10y

    Congrats! Keep us posted. If you need any renovation advice or rental assistance reach out to me!

  • Investor · Hoffman Estates, IL · Member since 2014 · 434 posts · 185 votes
    10y

    Congrats!  Those darn underwriters can be a huge pain.  

  • Real Estate Agent · tampa, Florida (FL) · Member since 2013 · 206 posts · 96 votes
    10y
    Thats awesome, congrats. Those set backs are what keep the people who wont last in the business from ever actually investing, way to push thru and make your first purchase
  • Rental Property Investor · Elmhurst, NY · Member since 2014 · 31 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Good for you! Keep us posted (with pics if possible).

  • Investor · Dyer, IN · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Appreciate all the replies!  I'll be sure to send some updates once I've had the chance to get in and get my hands dirty fixing up the house.  My wife is documenting the whole fix up process so we can add some before and after pics to the social media pages, so I'll update here as well!

  • Logistics Manager · Cordova, TN · Member since 2014 · 157 posts · 32 votes
    10y
    Omg !! Congratulation ..... That is freaking awesome
  • Investor · Dyer, IN · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Finally updating this post after about 6 months of setbacks, trials, and learning experiences!  The single family home I bought in Northwest Indiana (Griffith) earlier this year is finally just about done, so I thought I'd share some thoughts on the experience.

    The first two months or so of the rehab process was my brother and I working on the house trying to do everything ourselves.  We eventually realized that wasn't going to work and started to hire contractors.  We were able to handle all of the demo ourselves and started using Thumbtack or Craigslist to find people to help with repairs/installs.

    At that point we spent another two months working with low bidders and shady handymen to try to save money.  This turned out to be more of a setback because they would finish some projects while leaving others unfinished or not started at all until it got to the point that the last handyman I worked with disappeared with his pay without completing the jobs.  I ended up having to pay someone again to finish his jobs, and fix some things he didn't do correctly.

    These last two months we finally realized it would save us time and money in the long run to bring in professionals.  We started doing our research and only working with people who have a history of positive reviews from satisfied clients and this turned out to be a huge step in the right direction.  In the past two months we completed more work than the previous four combined.

    So here we are, this weekend my brother and I are doing finishing touches, appliances are being delivered Monday, final cleaning is Wednesday, and shortly after the house is being appraised and the property manager is taking final pictures to post for prospective tenants!

    This has been an endless lesson in perseverance and patience, but it feels great finally finishing up after such a long time.  I'm looking forward to getting my first tenant in place and planning for the next one with the lessons I've learned on my first investment property.

    I'll be putting up some before and after pictures next week after the final cleaning, so stay tuned!

  • Investor · IN · Member since 2012 · 263 posts · 168 votes
    10y

    @Ken Van Haitsma Jr- Congrats!!!! Glad to see it finally coming to fruition! I hope you vetted the Property Management company as there are some in NWI that are just as shady as the Craigslist handypeople! Feel free to reach out if you need any feedback on PM companies.

  • Property Manager · Griffith, IN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 913 votes
    10y

    I'll second what Jim has to say about local PMs. Some are fantastic and some are just plain lazy and shouldn't be in business (although they keep me in business driving some landlords to the selling point). Congrats!

    Plug- when you're ready for another property, check out my business Facebook page. I always post pictures/video of houses I just purchased. Most go to straight to investors. 

  • Bulawayo, Zimbabwe · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 253 votes
    10y

    Congrats @Ken Van Haitsma Jr .perseverance pays off

  • Rental Property Investor · Elmhurst, NY · Member since 2014 · 31 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Good for you. Lots of good lessons learned! 

  • Investor · Dyer, IN · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Finished the walk through with the property manager and the property is officially for rent!  As promised, here are a few pictures of the rehab.  More is available on my website and Facebook page.

    Once again, I appreciate all the feedback and response on my first property.  I'm looking forward to getting some tenants placed here and moving on to the next one!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.