First flip, san antonio, foundation issue- need help

First flip, san antonio, foundation issue- need help

Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 15 votes

Hi all, I have photos of my first flip, where to post them? The rehabbers found more issues with foundation as they tried to raise it up a little but now they found rotted beams (1920 abandoned home). They said some of the beams under the home & supporting pillars need to be replaced. it will cost more. The foundation engineer is coming out tomorrow to see what can be done to fix it & cost. Oh man, I wasn't expecting this. I was given an estimate of repairs for $35 to $40k for total rehab. it needs roof & everything else like hvac, bring plumbing & electrical up to code, kitchen cabinets, appliances, floors, paint, etc. Any suggestions? I have the estimated rehab details if someone wants to look at it. I do watch flip shows & I know things can come up. I am praying it's not going to cost alot more. 

0Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y

I just rehabbed a house in Live Oak a suburb of San Antonio. I paid for foundation work, complete new roof including rotting facia boards, some siding was replaced and some was fixed, all new flooring, gutted and redo on 1 bathroom and complete gut of kitchen with new granite counters, cabinets, all new light fixtures, all new switches and plugs, lots of moving of wires, framed up giant sliding closet doors and replaced with regular doors, a/c was just cleaned and serviced, paint inside and out, and lots of landscaping. This is a 1390sf house in a suburb. Prices are about $95ish per sf. in the area.  All of that was done for 30k. You can upload the photos here. Since yours is a smaller house, and you dont NEED central air, nobody in the area has it, you should be able to get the rehab done for WAY less than 40k.

See this reply in the discussion

45 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    Ok I am in San Antonio since 2 days now hovering over my flip property rehab & I think we are now done with foundation. I thank God so much for this & John & his GC team. I honestly tried to get 2 other GC opinions & they never showed up for their appt. now I know better. I am so glad I made the trip out here. I feel so much better now.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    @Lucy Balyan Keep us posted on your progress. I'm interested to see how this turns out and if you are able to make some money.

  • Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    Hi All, we'll I made the trip to San Antonio from june 10 to june 18 & the foundation renovation is completed. Hurray!!! It had been raining alot but sunny for last 2 weeks. 

    I toured the home several times morning, noon & night, drove around multiple times. Yes house needs lots of work, has big kitchen, 3 big rooms, 7500 Sq ft lot. I like my street, it's quite, no homes across, met the 2 neighbors, asked questions, discovered the closeness to downtown about 15 min drive. Now awaiting for roof & interior & exterior rehab to complete. Hopefully by end of this month or next at the most.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 311 posts · 176 votes
    10y

    Best of luck!

  • Homeowner · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2011 · 207 posts · 73 votes
    10y

    Lucy, any update for us? I'm curious how it's coming along!

  • Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    @David Rawls, @Tyler Herman, @Rick Malinga, @Jason Hirko, @Anish Talia, @Jay Heinrich

    My house is done & on the market.

  • Yucaipa, CA · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 5 votes
    10y
    Pictures please? Congratulations
  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    @Lucy Balyan Does it look like you will make some money on it? If so, amount or percentage please. Also would be curious of your breakdown: Purchase price, repairs, closing costs, etc.

  • Flipper · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 101 posts · 17 votes
    10y
    Lucy Balyan I admire your persistence, and undoubtedly you got the education of a lifetime...and hopefully made some money. How did things turn out?
  • Investor · Alabaster, AL · Member since 2016 · 280 posts · 88 votes
    10y

    What's the update on this?

  • Steven PaynePro Member
    Investor · Clifton, TX · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 14 votes
    10y
    Lucy Balyan any update on this property?
  • Contractor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2013 · 647 posts · 205 votes
    10y

    Looks like it was up for rent a few days ago, looks like a pretty nice rehab.

  • Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    @Lucy Balyan Interested in what happened as I am involved in a deal in San Antonio as well with same agent/rehabber and I live in CA as well.

  • Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    @Chad Clanton how did you see pics of Lucy's property, I never saw an address listed.  I wonder why it was up for rent vs selling...

  • Contractor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2013 · 647 posts · 205 votes
    9y

    @Ronato O. just some public records searches and crossreferencing. Hope your investment is going well!

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 443 posts · 174 votes
    9y

    Yowzers that is a tough project for a first time flip. The good news is repairing things is relatively inexpensive in San Antonio. My foundation costs on my last rehabs have been in the 3-4k range for pier and beam. That is a tough neighborhood on the eastside not sure it would be best for flip. Could be a good rental. Hopefully everything worked out well for you! @Lucy Balyan

  • Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    Hi, I just read your message; Yes the rehab is done, took 3 months vs 45 days due to rain. The budget went over by 15% from $40K to $47K (he wanted $48,500) due to rotted beams under 3 bedrooms, the entire wall from bathroom to kitchen to back door needed to be replaced (drywall not frame, plus all new siding, plus partial french drain). 

    Yes it's a touch neighberhood but the eastside has lots of new development going on; For now, it's good for rental until another few years to see what happens.  I do follow the SA news online. Tenant hasn't complained about crime so far.

    Yes it was a major rehab from foundation to roof, to electrical/plumbing, adding A/C, and everything else.

  • Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    Hello Everyone,

    Sorry been busy since rehab was done back in August 2016; 

    Took 3 months and $45K due to rotted beams for 3 rooms, new wall from bathroom to kitchen backdoor, french drain, and a bit of floorplan change (removal of door and stairs from 3rd room and connecting from living room to 3rd bedroom vs master to 3rd room).

    Here are some photos. I decided to rent it and since the area is being developed by a big developer, Efrain Vargas, I wanted to hang on to it for a while to see if values go up a bit.

  • Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    Here are more photos:

  • Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    backside of home, 7500 sq ft land, 1063 for home.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.