Looking to bring on investor to help secure commercial loan

Looking to bring on investor to help secure commercial loan

Investor · Brecksville, OH · Member since 2014 · 12 posts · 14 votes

Hi,

I am going to purchase a 23 unit apartment building. I have the downpayment, but because I work for myself and write off quite a bit, I can not secure a bank loan. I have an investor who wants to put zero money down, but is willing to cosign the loan in order for my to qualify in the banks eyes. The property is $600,000 with $150,000 needed to make improvements from day one in order to raise the rent, and have it fully occupied (78% occupancy now) 

My question is what is a fair deal to give someone who is willing to cosign on this deal? I feel like we are buying at a good, not quite great price, but very good, and will be putting down 25% of the $750,000. Even if the building looses 20% of its value, the cosigner would not be out any money even if we had to sell, since I would be putting the original 25% equity of the building down out of my pocket. 

Any advice on a fair offer for the co-borrower, or any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris

0Reply
16 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Decatur, GA · Member since 2015 · 313 posts · 207 votes
    9y

    Guarantors typically get a 20-30% equity piece of the deal in Atlanta but depends on the deal and the sponsor.

  • Real Estate Agent · Duluth, GA · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Hey Chris, I know a really good commercial agent if you need one.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y

    Hi Chris,

    You may want to consider an alternative lender that does not focus on your personal income. Their rate may be slightly higher (not unreasonable) but the value may be there for you if you can keep 100% ownership of the property. Additionally they typically offer longer amortization than the depository lenders which helps keep you debt service in check.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.