How do Appraisers treat an In-Law suite

How do Appraisers treat an In-Law suite

Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 4 votes

Hi BP,

I'm trying to analyze a property that has detached 1/1 inlaw suite and I'm not sure how to comp it for ARV. There aren't really any other sales with one recently so I'm not sure what I should do. Should I comp the main house to similar floor plans, then add in the suite, or comp the whole property to other properties with the same bed/bath make a deduction for the separate floor plan?

0Reply
11 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ryan MurdockPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I have a 3/2 house with a 1/1 in-law suite above the garage. I had it appraised in 2014 and again in 2016. Different appraisers each time. 

    Both appraisers comped it as a 3/2 and then added value for an "Accessory Unit" (+$5000 in value in 2014 and +$9000 in value in 2016). 

    Hope this helps.

  • Kuba F.Pro Member
    Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 694 votes
    9y

    @Nicholas Candaffio if you look at it using a buyer's eyes, then it would be much easier to sell as the main house + bonus rather than full property - floorplan.  With the first you feel like you're getting something extra, something special, with the other you feel like there is a deficiency.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Ryan Murdock and @Kuba F. very helpful.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.