Sell or Rent My Condo? In-depth Analysis

Sell or Rent My Condo? In-depth Analysis

New to Real Estate · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 7 votes

Hi there,

So I've been on the fence about how to assess my 3-5 year plan for my current condo that I live in.

I purchased 2 years ago a condo unit that was undervalued for the area (South Boston, near the beach, extremely up-and-coming area in this city) based on $/sqft. I put 10% down with a 4.25% 30 yr. I refinanced this year down and timed the market perfectly: 3.37% 30 yr fixed, erasing PMI because my property appreciated 29% in this time (avg. 12.43% YoY). I know the property has appreciated this much because the refinancing company paid for an assessor who gave me a very thorough property valuation which I believe to be accurate based on comps in the area.

In about 3-4 years I will be on the market again to purchase a single family home, but I'm not sure whether to sell or rent out. Here's the analysis I've done:

Reasons to sell:

  • Incredible ROI already ($200k+) just on market appreciation alone
  • Market appreciation unsustainable (12+% YoY is wild, and Boston is now more expensive than pre-2008 Bubble prices)
  • In a few years, further appreciation could allow me to be debt-free (this condo could likely pay for a single family home in the burbs with no debt, with all of my extra income going into a REIT or passive index fund rather than another property)

Reasons to keep and rent out indefinitely (20+ years):

  • If I put it on the market right today, based on confident, conservative comps for rent, as well as my real-world expenses that I know would stay consistent (i.e. I know my mortgage, HOA, repairs, and 15 years of cap-ex is already built into our HOA since I am the treasurer) I could get a Cash-on-Cash ROI of 7.7% even with having a property manager. The S&P 500 did 6.9% in the last 10 years, so it's a wiser play assuming rents don't go down, which they haven't in Boston for a long time (excluding luxury and ultra-luxury condos, which there are too many of right now, and my place is not a luxury condo). Additionally, if rents go up 5-10% like they have been for the last 5 years, that CROI% only increases with every passing year!
  • Aside from a sustainable, above-average CROI, the appreciation is still remarkable, and has already appreciated enough in 2.5 years to combat any market corrections. For example, the market corrected 38.5% in 2008 on average. My property has already appreciated 29%. Assuming we hit another bubble of similar magnitude, I'm likely to lose little to nothing, even in the wake of a correction and that it never corrects back (which seems supremely unlikely in such an urban hub like Boston). And if the market corrects and then recovers, which may happen multiple times if I decide to keep this over the course of the next few decades, it will still likely net in appreciation due to the market I've invested in.

My gut is telling my that a buy-and-hold strategy for my condo is the right move. I will still have enough money to purchase a second property as my primary residence in 3-4 years, but I do have some paranoia about the solvency of this unsustainable rocketship that is the Boston real estate market appreciation. Thoughts? This is my first property so I am curious to know if there are any flaws in my analysis or logic.

0Reply
32 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Covington, GA · Member since 2014 · 295 posts · 93 votes
    9y

    Hi Adam. Welcome to BP and congrats on the condo. I would love to have problems like a 200k+ appreciation and figuring out what to do with it. It sounds as though your leaning towards keeping your property in order to take advantage of the rental income. Like you've stated, the market has rebounded above that of the the 2008 housing market crash, which is an understandable concern. That being considered, I can definitely understand your hold position and would lean that way also. 

    Have you considered a third option? Since you have the incredible market appreciation on the condo, would it be feasible to do a 1031 Exchange? This way you take advantage of that appreciation, and avoid the Capital Gains tax that would incur in selling. Doing so, perhaps you can obtain a larger property, perhaps a multi-family, that performs better with cashflow. That way you'll still have a buy/hold unit(s), still take advantage of the appreciation, still have passive income to go towards that SFH in the burbs, and perhaps NOT get caught in another housing bubble crash thus reversing that great appreciation. Just my two cents...either way good luck.

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Adam Conrad, if you WERE to sell "today", would that help get you into your (favored?) burbs? What's the equivalent appreciation been like there - same timeframe, compared to your condo?

    I reckon the only thing that does favor selling now is IF you found a real "deal" for the proceeds. Otherwise, it seems like you're really giving yourself 3-5 years to answer this same question. OK.

    {I didn't quite get it, when you wrote: "If I put it on the market right today, based on confident, conservative comps for rent, as well as my real-world expenses that I know would stay consistent (i.e. I know my mortgage, HOA, repairs, and 15 years of cap-ex is already built into our HOA since I am the treasurer) I could get a Cash-on-Cash ROI of 7.7% even with having a property manager". ie. How does you being treasurer of your HOA factor into putting it on the market "today"?}

    Congrats on picking the market well. For future, you don't seem as confident in property?...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.