alleged gang bangers living in bottom unit

alleged gang bangers living in bottom unit

Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 1 vote

Hi BP I recently went to view a property on the south west side of Chicago little village and wanted some feed back on the analysis I ran for the property. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

8bd/4bth legal 3 unit 

Unit 1:2/1 TNT pays all, rent 550

Unit2:2/1 TNT pays all rent 475

Unit 3:2/1 rent 450

Asking price 100k

ARV 140k

Dp 5% at 5k loan AMT 95k

Loan interest at 4%

Expenses:

P&I: 453

Insurance: 100 

Water sewer: 100

Prop tax:300

Repairs: 147.50 at 10%

Capex:147.50 at 10%

Vacancy:118.00 at 8%

Cashflow: 158.46

Cap rate:5.25%

Coc ROI:38.03%

GRM:5.65

This represents a purchase at asking price however when I viewed the unit a couple things stood out the attic seemed to have done a little moisture issues so I'm guessing the roof might need replacing, also the tenant in one unit had been therefore 10 years, thus the rental are below market value from comparables a these units rent could conservatively be rented for 600 600 and 525 boosting cf to 383.46, the first unit has lower ceiling also the one tenant who'd been there for 10 years complained of the first unit being occupied by gang bangers who sell drugs out the unit. How would you guys go about this which you put a contingency upon that unit being transferred vacant upon purchase? To not have to possibly deal with these tenants? Also being that the one unit has lower ceilings would you expect more tenant turnover due to less desirability? This is in an area mostly working class I would rate it C neighborhood mostly blue collar jobs. It is also 12 min walk to the train Wich gets downtown in about 19min. Would you guys also try to lower the purchase price to 80k considering the gang bangers issue in the basement possibly need to evict them and also the roof maybe needing to be replaced? Or would you avoid these deal seeing as how if you tried to evict alleged gang bangers they might trash the unit killing some of the below market profit? Any feedback is once again appreciated thanks.

0Reply
24 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    One statement by a tenant does not make a situation true.  You probably need much more information before you would be justified in acting.  Check the tenant application and payment history and complaint history of the tenants complained of.  Have you been inside the unit to inspect it?  You can mention that your new handyman is a retired police officer from a drug task force hehe.  If you are going to buy this property you need to do more due diligence before you kick a person out.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Good idea on the retired police officer, thanks for the advice. In your experience do tenants make a lot of false claims about other tenants?

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Make a public records request from the police dept for the calls to this property. Here in Atlanta I get those in the mail within 5 days. It might give you more backup in regards to there possibly being illegal activity in one unit.

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 57 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    Sometimes driving by the property at night will tell you all you need to know if there is alleged illegal activity going on.  It won't take long to identify the traffic related to drugs being sold.  Scan for people standing around as they might be acting as lookouts if the activity is being conducted at a significant level.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Thanks for the replies guys the public records request is ingenious, also checking the place out at night sounds great too.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    How do you guys feel about the numbers and the analysis I provided?

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 238 posts · 68 votes
    9y

    @Ambroise Zabaleta With the 5% DP are you planning on living in one of the units? That could either hurt or help your bottom line depending on if you own or rent currently. If planning on living in it, where is it approximately and which train station is 12 minutes away? I've found that the neighborhood around California is better than around Kedzie and rents are climbing faster in that area. As far as lowering the price, do you know how long they've been on the market? LV is heating up as the money from Pilsen moves west, and I feel like the inventory hasn't been as high as I keep hoping it will be, especially north of 23rd.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    @John Anderson I don't know for sure just a tenant in another unit alleged they were.

    @Lucas Hammer really 12 mins from either the kedzie or California station by walking, not long but I know it's priced decent, and that's interesting makes sense that the rents are rising faster on the NE end of lv

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 238 posts · 68 votes
    9y

    @Ambroise Zabaleta Yeah, I think the Paseo is going to increase it down by 26th, and I'd move there and bike to work to owner-occupy, but my wife just takes the train, so I don't see us moving down there any time soon. Love the area though.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.