WHAT WOULD YOU DO - Seller and Inspector Can't find Crawl Space

WHAT WOULD YOU DO - Seller and Inspector Can't find Crawl Space

Investor · Kailua, HI · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 33 votes

Hey BP,

Not sure if i'm posting this in the right place on BP but I must ask. I have a signed purchase agreement a local investor is selling on contract, a SFH which I plan for long term rental out of state. Upon completion of a professional inspection, it was noted that the inspector could not locate the crawlspace access in the house or from outside, in addition to several other non-major problems. I asked the Seller for concessions to repair items that by my estimate will cost $2-4k, and also let us know where the crawl space access is. He agreed to the repairs but said they also had no luck and couldn't locate the access. Seller came back wanting to change the language to say 'the seller will make every attempt to locate and open access to the crawl space.'

I have no idea what could be lurking down there and have a lot of hesitation proceeding with the purchase. House was built in 1910 and has had a couple renovations, the latest in the past few months to include flooring and carpeting. This could be an honest mistake of covering the crawl space access or an intentional deed for unsuspecting buyers.

Please share your experience, advice and recommendation.  WHAT WOULD YOU DO - Walk away or continue to purchase?

Mahalo!

0Reply
43 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

@Alan Kahanu Around here a lot of older pier and beam houses have no crawl space access because the brick or stone veneer was added later, so there never was an interior access point, and the bricklayers didn't leave an opening. I would say for every inspector who notes it on one of those houses, I see two that don't crawl under a house with plenty of access because they're lazy

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Gainesville, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 432 votes
    9y

    If you have a "signed" purchase agreement and the seller made changes after they signed, then doesn't that mean you don't have an agreement any longer? Is this the addendum that generally comes after the contract when inspections are performed? Just asking to get clarity.

    I would go back and tell them what you just said, "you need to has access to be assured of what could be lurking". 

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Alan Kahanu Around here a lot of older pier and beam houses have no crawl space access because the brick or stone veneer was added later, so there never was an interior access point, and the bricklayers didn't leave an opening. I would say for every inspector who notes it on one of those houses, I see two that don't crawl under a house with plenty of access because they're lazy

  • Investor · Kailua, HI · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 33 votes
    9y

    @Daria B. sorry, I meant a purchase offer.  I requested concessions which we are still working on, which is where the seller want's to just show they'll make every attempt to locate the access without ripping out the floor in likely areas.

  • Rental Property Investor · Gainesville, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 432 votes
    9y

    It's early on in the process and I don't think I would just walk away - just yet. The sellers are trying, like most, to protect themselves from the unknown, just like you. Stale mate? Perhaps not.

    There may not be an access panel, door, etc, but what about the inspector crawling under the available area somewhere that can be opened - sans the access panel or door. They are being paid to inspect - is that not part of the inspection? I bought a house that had an access and both pest and house inspector crawled under.

    Did they hand over documents of the rehab they did? Anything like, if they contracted it out - the agreement they had with the contractor for work performed.

    @Alan Kahanu what does your realtor suggest - have they every encountered a situation like this?

  • Investor · Kailua, HI · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 33 votes
    9y

    @Jason Hirko good point and will take into consideration.

    @Daria B. no documented rehab work was provided, but i will ask again.  Realtor commented that the seller is either too lazy to look, hiding something, or just doesn't care.  Over his past 1000 homes he worked on, every one had a crawl space access if one was to be found.  My thought now is to have seller provide access, rather than just 'attempt' to locate and open the access. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Gainesville, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 432 votes
    9y

    @Alan Kahanu thinking on what your realtor said about the seller knowledge of the crawl space access, or lack there of, the inspector I suspect is going off what was told to him about a crawl space existing and that there "should" be a door access. Well thinking about the inspectors point of view, how about pushing them to find an access point to at least gain some sort of access by opening a panel (do you need sellers permission?) in order to see if it's viable to get under the house. Grasping at straws here to see if perhaps pushing back to the inspector. 

    Too bad about the rehab work and not being able to verify it. If they did the work themselves and didn't require permitting then that's always too much of a "take a chance on their work". However, if it did require permits then they would be logged with the local municipality. But I'm sure you have worked all that out. The issue remains is the underneath access to the property. And in your realtors assessment, I hop it's not the seller trying to hide something.

  • Investor/Realtor · Hoover, AL · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 459 votes
    9y

    Not all in my area, have crawl space.  Can be on a Slab...Plumbing and electrical in the ceiling...

  • Appraiser · Applegate, CA · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    First look in a closet, then make an opening outside! Many times there are dangers (Sagging beams, loose wires, broken ducts, etc.) but don't assume everything is OK!!!

  • Investor · Kailua, HI · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 33 votes
    9y

    appreciate it @Truett Neathery. Due to the unknowns from not being able to inspect the crawl space, and a couple other issues the seller wouldn't agree to, I walked. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.