Post Closing Deal Analysis & St. Louis Missouri Suburb

Post Closing Deal Analysis & St. Louis Missouri Suburb

Insurance Agent · Member since 2015 · 191 posts · 124 votes

I just closed on my second property. The property is a condo unit in one of the wealthier suburbs in the St. Louis area and is within walking distance from the downtown district. I am haopy with the deal but would like to see what others think as far as risk return.

The unit is a 2 bedroom 1 bath, 900 sq ft, 450 sq ft storage space, balcony, in unit washer dryer, outdoor parking, brand new paint and carpet, with appliances that are far from new but good condition.

I analyzed the deal using the rental rates others are getting in the complex and subtracting all of the known expenses. After that I increased "other" expenses as a % of rent until I got to 10% cash on cash. 

Cash Down: #22,000

Rent         $1,100

HOA $145

Taxes       $101

Loan         $339

Insurance $15

Total:        $600

Balance: $ 500

$500 - Monthly Cash Flow Needed to get 10% $183 = $317 or approx 29% for vacancy, capex, maintenance & (even though I am self managing I am including management as an opportunity cost).  

I estimated CapEx without the items paid for by the association at around 5%. I think 5% for maintenance is reasonable as well since I have no landscape or exterior maintenance duties. I assume standard 10% vacancy and property management fees at 10% each and I am right at the 10% cash on cash mark (15.2% after adding back the property management).

I am more than happy with a 10% cash on cash return for a rental in a b+ to a neighborhood. I do not assume any appreciation in my analysis and look at the potential for appreciation as a potential upside. 

1Reply
19 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler, rehabber, landlord and coach · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2011 · 33 posts · 11 votes
    9y
    Be sure the condo association allows rental units...and be sure the are approved for fha financing as an exit strategy in Case you decide to move it later
  • Insurance Agent · Member since 2015 · 191 posts · 124 votes
    9y

    @Ray Bartle I will not even waste my time looking at a condo if I can not get confirmation that they allow rentals and my offer is always contingent on the association having no restriction on the number of rental units and restricting short term rentals. Condos that sell for sub $150k prices tend to be made up of at least 20% rental units.  Steering investors away from condos due to the fact that the Board could change their rental policy out of the blue is something I have seen pretty regularly on BP.  This change can actually not be done at the board level but must be done through a vote of 65% of the unit owners. 

    It is theoretically possible that a super majority of unit owners could purposefully force a large portion of owners into assessment default, decrease the market for their condo when they wants to sell and have no flexibility in the event that they can no longer afford to live in the association (think 2008).  However, practically this this would never happen in the sub $150k price range. 

    Up until a few months ago to be an FHA eligible condo association renters had to make up less than 30% of the units and no one owner could own more than 10%. This made having an investor friendly and FHA friendly association almost impossible. Restrictions have since loosened but the jury is out on what effect it will have. In A neighborhoods with a significant young professional population I think the ability to rent is much more important than the ability to finance with FHA. That being said, I invest assuming 0% appreciation and am not really worried about selling for a profit.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 712 votes
    9y

    Another option I have seen with a lot of people in the right areas of Kansas City with in walking distance of all the it places down town is nightly rentals, take a little more up front management and a cleaning person, but much higher rents if it can be done in the condo and town.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.