Analyzing a deal: Just starting out in the REI world

Analyzing a deal: Just starting out in the REI world

Troy, NY · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 1 vote

Hi Everyone, 

My realtor sent me over an opportunity in Albany, NY. I'm analyzing some properties currently that could be my first deal. My initial feeling is this is just around a 1% deal and its quite expensive for the amount of cash flow that comes with it. I appreciate anyone else's thoughts. 

Style: 2 Family 

Price: $235,000

Taxes: $7,100

Estimated monthly rent: $1,200 each apartment. ($2,400 Total)

I would owner occupy most likely and my feeling is that I would want to put some work into the kitchen for me to want to live there. 

Thank you !

Mike 

p.s. if there is anything else I should put in here when asking for help, please let me know so I can improve my posts for the future

0Reply
12 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Engineer · Albany, NY · Member since 2014 · 42 posts · 18 votes
    9y

    Mike,

      This is how Albany NY is, things in a decent area are at about 1%.  You can get 2% but most probably you wouldn't want to live there.  If you are in Troy currently, maybe it's worth taking a look there for you and renovating there ... it's a lot easier to get 2% there.

    All this depends on your situation, are you single or do you have family? Do you have a job other than taking care of REI? How much can you sacrifice?

      Think about all this ... but in general this deal is about normal for this area.

    Thanks,

    Sebastian

  • Troy, NY · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Sebastian, 

    The kitched appliances look quite outdated and the hardwood floors do look like they would need to be refinished. I'm see other rentals in the area that are available for less than $1200 and some that are more and haven't been rented so I am skeptical of that as well. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.