First Rental Property!

First Rental Property!

Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 41 votes

I am very excited to announce that I have bought my first rental property! It is a 4-plex in Lynchburg VA in a great part of the city. Details are listed below:

All units 2 bed, 1 bath 950 sqft

Purchase Price: $198,000

ARV: $215,000

Down payment: $49,500 (25%)

Closing Costs: $6,000 (Sellers paying $3,000)

Equity: $66,500

30-year 4.7%

P & I (Includes Property tax and Insurance): $1,005

Rents: $2,600 ($650 x 4)

Water: Tenant pays

Electricity: Tenant pays

Garbage: $100

Mowing: $60

Vacancy: $100 (4%)

Maintenance: $125 (5%)

Cap Ex: $175 (7%)

Property Management: $250 (10%)

Total Expenses: $1,815

Cash Flow: $785/mo

Cash on Cash ROI: 18%

 Sure, I didn't absolutely crush it here, but the numbers are totally solid and this property appreciates at an average of 4% per year. Plan is to refinance property in 6-12 months and bring out $25,000 of equity to apply towards another property. Sure it will decrease cash flow a little bit by refinancing but we will be able to build a lot faster this way. I am so blessed by the mentors I have and the amount of knowledge and wisdom there is out there for the taking on BiggerPockets.

10Reply
81 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Catonsville MD · Member since 2015 · 135 posts · 44 votes
9y

Looks like a great purchase to me! We bought our first investment property last year a  condo in Lynchburg that we rent to a young professional and we are hoping to buy another one this year. Both my daughters live in Lynchburg. We are focusing on renting to Liberty students.  

See this reply in the discussion

43 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 41 votes
    9y
    Robin Boyer *4-plex
  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    Yes like I asked my mom yesterday when we are going to start looking at properties she replies the realitor is going to look at property.  Of course he is but we need to be actively looking as well that's my feelings. Yes we need to learn how to make the best offers to I would like to find something that needs work to get the better deal.

  • New to Real Estate · Burke, VA · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    Hey @Drew Bonner! I was wondering how this 4plex is turning out. Has it been difficult to rent out in Lynchburg? I'd love to hear about your experience so far!

  • Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 41 votes
    8y
    @Austin Wise Hey man! 8 months later and this property is doing GREAT for us. We inherited tenants at the start, but have put in 2 tenants since due to the other 2 moving into their own house. We filled the units in less than 1 week. It has been very low maintenance, and we are cash flowing very well. Our experience as Landlords have been amazing because we bought the right property and found the right tenants. Lynchburg is a great place to invest. You will not have any trouble filling units in good areas.
  • Clarksville, TN · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 9 votes
    8y
    Congrats on the new purchase!
  • New to Real Estate · Burke, VA · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    @Drew Bonner Thats great to hear! Sounds like you made a great purchase!

  • Superior, WI · Member since 2017 · 81 posts · 47 votes
    8y

    @Drew Bonner - congrats on this deal. 8 months in now, are you getting close to your refi and cash out?

    I'm in a similar situation with my first purchase that we're about to close. It's an 8-unit that cash flows around $1200/mth, and I'm getting it on contract about $50k below appraised value. I'm only putting about $20k in, and we're hoping to normalize rents (bring them up about 10-15%) in the first year and refi our cash out. I've been told it's reasonable to assume closer to 1-2 years to cash out on the first property, but I want that to happen ASAP so I can take that cash and get my next property. Any luck on your part yet? 

  • Moncton, NB · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    @Drew Bonner Congrats on the success!. I am from a small Canadian city, but a lot of my friends from my church went to Liberty University and I have heard nothing but great things about Lynchburg. I hope you continue to have great success!

  • Real Estate Agent · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 8 votes
    8y
    Congratulations Drew Bonner !! I’m originally from Fairfax Va but live in Jersey City now - Lynchburg is a great market. Keep up the momentum for the 2nd property! My wife and I managed to nail down our first buy/hold investment property back in June and it’s been an awesome process. We are house hacking in a legal 2 Family with finished basement. The 2 other rentals cover our mortgage completely :) I’ve been meaning to share the numbers with BP for a while. All the best!
  • Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 41 votes
    8y
    @Kevin Mosier Congrats on the 8 unit man! That is Awesome! Cash flowing $14k a year and only putting down $20,000?? That's a 70% cash on cash ROI! How were you able to sing that? That's sick. We are going to wait a full year (July) and then we will cash out refi and pull about $20,000 in equity out to put towards a new property. We are currently looking for a 2-4 unit right now that my wife and I can house hack. Looking to be up to 12 units by the end of the year!
  • Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 41 votes
    8y
    @Ian Cramsey Congrats on the house hack purchase my man! My wife and I are looking to buy a 2-4 unit this spring to house hack. Cutting out the living expense when you are young is the best financial decision one can make. It frees up so much cash to put into other investment vehicles. Keep it up man!
  • Richmond, VA · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    Great story to hear. I’m in Richmond Va so the proximity and success is motivating.
  • Real Estate Agent · Owatonna, MN · Member since 2017 · 221 posts · 152 votes
    8y

    Congrats!

  • Superior, WI · Member since 2017 · 81 posts · 47 votes
    8y

    @Drew Bonner Sorry I never replied to this one... I somehow missed the notification.

    Finding the deal was interesting - basically just telling everyone we know we're looking for something to buy, and we found a guy willing to do it on a Land Contract/Contract for Deed. We're still going back and forth on the contracting, but hoping to have the deal done by 3/1. 

    Any luck on finding a house hack for you and your wife?

  • Portland, OR · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 23 votes
    8y
    Thanks for posting!! Congrats, this is inspiring.
  • Property Manager · Roanoke, VA · Member since 2016 · 59 posts · 39 votes
    8y

    @Drew Bonner That's great man! Hope you find a sweet deal. I bought my first investment property last year in Bedford. I'm in your neck of the woods, so if you ever want to grab a bite or coffee let me know!

  • Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 41 votes
    8y
    @Jacob Price yeah man absolutely! Thank you very much.
  • Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 41 votes
    8y
    @Kevin Mosier Well that's great man! I hope it works out for you, I really do. So I believe we have found a 4 plex to house hack in a great area of Lynchburg. It is not on the market (I have 3 really good friends/mentors that are agents and one if them told me about their friend that was wanting to sell). Once we close on it, I will reveal the property!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.