Spec House Picture Diary

Spec House Picture Diary

Developer · Covington, LA · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 124 votes

On one of my recent specs I thought it would be fun to document the project with pics. So I will share here the pictures and documents for anyone who may be considering specs, or is simply interested in following the process.

Here is a picture of the finished house. Over the following posts I will include pictures sequenced with the construction process.

Just as a heads up, I was on the fence as to where to write this thread, in diaries or success stories. In the diary discussion intro it mentions "on going" project, which rules this one out. So, success story it is. Along this vein, the house did sell before it was completed at list price, so I suppose I can consider it a success.

2Reply
104 views

Most Popular Reply

Architect · Papillion, NE · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 840 votes
9y
Originally posted by @Rogers Smith:

While roofer is doing his job, insulators begin their work.

Batt insulation on the interior walls should not have a kraft paper (faced) on it.  See above the door.  The kraft paper has a black asphaltic vapor retarder under the kraft paper many people don't realize.  Make sure you are doing for a moisture / air vapor reason so you don't trap moisture in the wrong place and create a mold issue.  Simply ripping off the kraft paper solves the issue when you don't want to buy unfaced batt insulation separately.  Kraft paper at the ceiling / attic (which is also in this picture) is fine if you designed the attic accordingly for it, which is typical. 

Looks very nice! 

See this reply in the discussion

76 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Covington, LA · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 124 votes
    9y

    Here are some of the vitals:

    • The house was built in an established subdivision in Madisonville, Louisiana
    • The lot price was $53,000
    • The total construction cost was $295,741
    • The selling price was $347,000
    • Builder profit was $51,259
    • Living area was 2,424 SqFt
    • Under beam square footage was 3,291
    • Configuration was 5 bedrooms, 3 baths
  • Developer · Covington, LA · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 124 votes
    9y

    Here is the floor plan and elevation.

  • Developer · Covington, LA · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 124 votes
    9y

    Here is a pic of the raw land. In our market, desirable vacant lots are hard to come by. So I was lucky to find this one simply by driving for dollars.

    I was also lucky in the fact that the lot had already been cleared, was in flood zone C, and was a corner lot. All these things made it quite desirable.

  • Developer · Covington, LA · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 124 votes
    9y

    I will begin with the dirt work. In order to set the house on a good foundation, we remove the top layer of soil to reach hard pan, the solid, non-loamy layer. The process is elegantly named mucking out.

    The mucked out soil is hauled away and is replaced by red clay.

    The final pad on which the house will sit.

  • Developer · Covington, LA · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 124 votes
    9y

    Just thought, I hope I don't piss off BiggerPockets with all the band width these pictures are using because I'm just getting started.

  • Developer · Covington, LA · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 124 votes
    9y

    Next come the form boards.

  • Developer · Covington, LA · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 124 votes
    9y

    Following the form boards, the plumber digs and installs the drainage piping. I generally use overhead PEX piping for water supply, so that will come in a later stage. In addition to the plumber's underground work, the electrician installs conduit for floor plugs and kitchen island electricity.

  • Developer · Covington, LA · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 124 votes
    9y

    Next, the diggers dig the beams. For those not in the business, the beams in the concrete footing adds rigidity to the slab, allowing it to support the weight of the house. 

    Here is a picture of the foundation plan.

     And here are some pictures of the beam trenches.

  • Developer · Covington, LA · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 124 votes
    9y

    The next step in the slab process is installing the post-tension cables and vapor barrier. After the slab has been poured, and has had a chance to dry sufficiently, these cables are pulled and anchored, adding strength to the slab.

  • Developer · Covington, LA · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 124 votes
    9y

    Finally, the last step for the slab is pouring the concrete. We had to use a pump truck, which takes the concrete from the delivery trucks and pumps it throughout the forms. In some cases we will have enough room for the delivery trucks to drop the concrete directly into the forms, but not in this case.

  • Developer · Covington, LA · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 124 votes
    9y

    That's it for now. When time permits I will begin the framing stage.

  • Keller, TX · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    9y
    I'm curious how you are keeping track of your build. Do you use a builder software or excel? Currently I use Excel, but have been researching software...
  • Rental Property Investor · Covington, LA · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    @Rogers Smith

    I really like this post! 

    Nice of you to walk us through an actual new construction project.

    What neighborhood is this?

  • Developer · Covington, LA · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 124 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed I use a spreadsheet I developed with SmartSheet.com. I uploaded a copy of it in Excel to the FilePlace area of BiggerPockets. Feel free to check it out. The formulas don't work since converting it to Excel, buy it's pretty intuitive.

  • Developer · Covington, LA · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 124 votes
    9y

    @Ryan Monier thanks for the kind words. The house is in Autumn Creek. I'm not comfortable sharing the address because folks are living in the house.

  • Developer · Covington, LA · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 124 votes
    9y

    To summarize the construction costs thus far:

    • Planning & Lot $57,763: Lot purchase, plans, survey, permit, closing
    • Dirtwork, undergrounds & Slab $39,896: Dirtwork, fill, forms, culvert, plumbing, diggers, termite spray, cables, concrete.

    In addition, I ordered the exterior doors and windows because these items have a 2-week lead time.

  • Developer · Covington, LA · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 124 votes
    9y

    On to framing. Once the slab has set, we begin framing the walls and roof of the house. I use traditional wood framing now, but I am exploring steel framing for future houses.

  • Developer · Covington, LA · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 124 votes
    9y
  • Developer · Covington, LA · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 124 votes
    9y

    Framing complete.

  • Developer · Covington, LA · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 124 votes
    9y

    Cost summary through framing phase $43,149:

    • Framing lumber $18,376
    • Framing contractor $15,010
    • Other costs $9,763: Builder's risk insurance, shingles, fireplace, water tap-in, misc.
  • Developer · Covington, LA · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 124 votes
    9y

    After the house has been framed, we move to the rough-in phase. This includes plumbing, HVAC, electrical, insulation, and roofing, in that order.

    Plumbing:

  • Developer · Covington, LA · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 124 votes
    9y

    Next is the HVAC rough-in.

  • Developer · Covington, LA · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 124 votes
    9y

    Lastly on rough-in is the electrical.

  • Developer · Covington, LA · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 124 votes
    9y

    Testing HVAC system.

  • Developer · Covington, LA · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 124 votes
    9y

    Once all roof penetrations have been completed, roofer sets shingles.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.