The Best Ways To Sell Hard Deals

The Best Ways To Sell Hard Deals

Columbus, OH · Member since 2012 · 6 posts · 1 vote

I have come across some difficult deals here in Columbus as of late. As the market is changing and becoming more of a seller's market as would be expected prices are rising. As well as to be expected some homeowners are selling at prices that even they know is too high. The funny or amazing thing is that they are selling at or at near retail prices!

Then there are those properties that are at a very decent price and may not be in the absolute best of areas but would still be good flips if completed and you one can find an actual buyer willing to live and invest in the area or would be great rental properties that would pull in good cash flow.

I currently have one like the latter. It's a 9 unit building in an area just outside of the "hood" or an undesirable area. Even though it's in one of the better parts of the area, simply that it's so close I suppose that most feel that it's too much within walking distance. So no one has wanted to touch it.

It's a 9 unit 2 bed 1 bath building. The owner wants to walk away with $150,000. There is $25,000 in back taxes. There is about $50-60,000 in rehab. I'm looking to make $15,000 on the deal and the ARV for the building is $350-500,000 ($300-$450,000 being conservative). So we are looking at $165,000 purchase ($150,000 the sellers want + $15,000 for my fee), $25,000 in back taxes, and $50,000 in repairs all equals $240,000 with the final value being $300-$350,000 minimum. The new owner could very easily get $600 per month per apartment once the rehab is completed. $5,400 per month, $64,800 per year!

And yet I can get no one to touch it! And I can't figure out why! Maybe someone can help me.

1Reply
6 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    9y

    Most apt bldgs stabilization/rehab buys are 3-5yr holds.  What is the market cap rate in Columbus for this class of asset and area?

    It's hard to sink $240k into something for a high risk yet super slow payback.  Most commercial assets aren't flipped per se. Tough to finance non-performing commercial as well.

    Try and get a contract for deed. Maybe a 9 month timeframe for seller to get the $190k purchase price. 

  • Robert EllisBusiness Member
    Developer · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @B. Eugene Johnson:

    I have come across some difficult deals here in Columbus as of late. As the market is changing and becoming more of a seller's market as would be expected prices are rising. As well as to be expected some homeowners are selling at prices that even they know is too high. The funny or amazing thing is that they are selling at or at near retail prices!

    Then there are those properties that are at a very decent price and may not be in the absolute best of areas but would still be good flips if completed and you one can find an actual buyer willing to live and invest in the area or would be great rental properties that would pull in good cash flow.

    I currently have one like the latter. It's a 9 unit building in an area just outside of the "hood" or an undesirable area. Even though it's in one of the better parts of the area, simply that it's so close I suppose that most feel that it's too much within walking distance. So no one has wanted to touch it.

    It's a 9 unit 2 bed 1 bath building. The owner wants to walk away with $150,000. There is $25,000 in back taxes. There is about $50-60,000 in rehab. I'm looking to make $15,000 on the deal and the ARV for the building is $350-500,000 ($300-$450,000 being conservative). So we are looking at $165,000 purchase ($150,000 the sellers want + $15,000 for my fee), $25,000 in back taxes, and $50,000 in repairs all equals $240,000 with the final value being $300-$350,000 minimum. The new owner could very easily get $600 per month per apartment once the rehab is completed. $5,400 per month, $64,800 per year!

    And yet I can get no one to touch it! And I can't figure out why! Maybe someone can help me.

    9 two beds in a c class area of columbus would put total monthly rent at probably 4725. Expenses are going to run higher on this type of building not only because it's older but because of the area where it is. Apartments like this sell at a 9% return. I think a property like that would be worth around $300k fixed up. We just sold 24 two bedroom units that needed rehab for in the middle 300s on the MLS. once done they will rent for $12k+ for the investor that buys it and I'd value that complex in a c area at $750k at the most. Ironically the complex sold for $680k back in 2002 that we just sold. I just think your valuation is off. 9 two bedroom units in a c class area aren't selling for $550k ever. i'd be happy to take a look at it and send it to our investors as well. we have a lot of interest from the 24 unit we just did that was similar to this.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.