How to fund a flip for me to live in

How to fund a flip for me to live in

Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 1 vote

So I'm new to the game, trying to buy my first house. I want to buy a SFH, 3-4 bedrooms that I live in, and create a positive cashflow, and use it to fund possible future purchases. I'll be using one of the DP assistance programs here in Atlanta.
My parents have paid off their own home and also a rental unit. I know their house they live in will appraise for $150-200K min. (zestimate says $216K) and their rental will appraise for at least $55K, but probably a lot more. What if they took out a home equity loan on one of these properties, buy a house through Net Worth ATL or some other entity as such. I guess they could get a hard money loan as well. Then they renovate the house, and sell it to me at market value and make $20-40K profit. My parents could use the extra money, so the thought of getting that kinda cash sounds like a major win/win. 

My question is, what's the worst case scenario for this? I would never do this if it risked my parents' properties or they ended taking a net loss in the whole ordeal. Just trying to think outside the box. Thanks!

This just in: We may have found some deep pockets to fund the flip.  We'll see! 

0Reply
14 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Spring, TX · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 203 votes
    9y

    Why wouldn't you just buy the house to begin with? If you can get DP assistance it just seems like there's too many additional fees associated with going from Point A to Point B in your given scenario. Since you're going to owner-occupy you could even go for an FHA loan.

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Hey Kevin, thanks for the response. So with DP assistance, you can't get a 203K loan or anything else. The houses that I want to buy keep being bought up before I can even go see them, and I jump on them day of.  I honestly don't mind paying full price for my house, as long as I get my money's worth. 

    I'm under the understanding that you can't buy property from family through DP Assistance programs, so the parent thing is now off the table. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.