Newbie Seeks Advice From Investor Sensei!

Newbie Seeks Advice From Investor Sensei!

Real Estate Agent · Naperville, IL · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 5 votes

Looking at purchasing my first rental (Go Big or Go Home, Right??). These numbers came from the current owners Trailing 12. What do you think of this deal? What am I Missing? 

# of Units: 12

Purchase Price: 880,000

GOI: $128,378 (Already assumes a 5% Vacancy Rate)

Taxes: $24,250

Insurance: $3164

Management: $6,419

Grounds Maintenance.: $1,800

Repairs: $3,000

Electric: $817

Water/Sewer: $12,522

Alarm: $730

Trash: $2,196

NOI: 73,464

PITI: $5,623 (25% down - 4.5% INT)

Expenses: $27,500/year 

Cap: 8.35%

COC: 14.9%

GRM: 6.85

Thank You!!

0Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Playa del Carmen, México · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

@Lauren Apicella I'd still want to do some serious due diligence, but on the face of it nothing about those numbers scares me off. I'd want to dig deeper into the quality of the tenants (& leases) and the physical condition of the units.

That said, the decision to do a deal or not only makes sense in the context of available opportunities. For example, in my market (Atlanta) I can craft deals with a cash-on-cash return of 12-14%, so a 10.68% return is not as interesting. However, for someone currently earning 5%, this deal might be a gift from the heavens!

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Playa del Carmen, México · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Hi @Lauren Apicella. Two quick thoughts:

    1. $3000/year in repairs ($250/unit/year) seems awfully low. I'd recommend at least doubling that. You should also check the units carefully for deferred maintenance.
    2. I'd recommend using an 8% Vacancy Rate (1 month out of every 12), just to be conservative.

    Good luck!

  • Real Estate Agent · Naperville, IL · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Mitch Messer 

    Increasing vacancy rate to 8% & repairs to $6000 these would be the new numbers:

    Cap - 7.41%

    COC - 10.68%

    GRM - 6.63

    What do you think of those numbers? Would you do the deal?

  • Lender · Playa del Carmen, México · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Lauren Apicella I'd still want to do some serious due diligence, but on the face of it nothing about those numbers scares me off. I'd want to dig deeper into the quality of the tenants (& leases) and the physical condition of the units.

    That said, the decision to do a deal or not only makes sense in the context of available opportunities. For example, in my market (Atlanta) I can craft deals with a cash-on-cash return of 12-14%, so a 10.68% return is not as interesting. However, for someone currently earning 5%, this deal might be a gift from the heavens!

  • Real Estate Agent · Chantilly, VA · Member since 2016 · 245 posts · 61 votes
    9y

    In my opinion, it sounds like a great starter deal and as @Mitch Messer has mentioned, get an inspection done and maybe you'll find ways to bargain alittle on the price. Good luck, keep us posted.

  • Real Estate Agent · Naperville, IL · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    @Mitch Messer @Kanwar Sodhi thank you so much!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.