My first deal... finally

My first deal... finally

Real Estate Agent · Denham Springs, LA · Member since 2017 · 226 posts · 159 votes

I just completed my first deal after years and years of taking no action.  It's not a homerun, but it's my first and I'll take it. 

I bought a REO from the MLS with a partner. We were originally looking at cheaper condos. The deal was that he was going to put up the money and I was going to get the mortgage in my name and do all of the work. I ended up finding this house on the MLS and after watching the price drop $15k I convinced him we should go for it. At a purchase price of $130k it was more of a down payment that he was comfortable putting up for the first property. So, I decided that I liked it enough to put some money in the deal as well.

Some of the repairs we made:

Ripped out nasty carpet and installed new laminate

Ripped out sheet vinyl and installed new ceramic tile

New toilets and hardware in bathrooms

Installed new privacy fence where needed

Painted entire interior

Replaced all baseboards

Cleaned up flower beds and put pine straw in

Cut  down tree in back yard that was damaging the old fence

Had house and all concrete soft washed

Added CO monitors

Lots and lots of cleaning...  The house was disgusting

We got plenty of calls and on-line inquiries.  It took less than a week to find tenants.  They ended up coming from Trulia, which came from posting it on Zillow.

Here are the numbers:

Purchase Price:                 $129,000

Down Payment:                $25,800 (20%)

Prepaid/Closing Costs:    $5,215

Renovations:                     $10,845

Total:                                   $145,060

Monthly rent:                    $1,500

ARV: $158,500

Things I've learned on this one:

I probably could have gotten the bank down a little more on purchase price.  I wanted the deal so bad that I didn't want to chance haggling with them too much and losing it.  Next time I need to be willing to walk away.

I need to pay a little closer attention when inspecting the house prior to purchase.  I didn't plan on replacing baseboard, painting the ceiling, removing the tree, or removing the vinyl floors initially.

I absolutely DO NOT want to do work ourselves again.  For a month I was at that house every single day off from my regular job, and lots of evenings after work.  Next time I will plan on having contractors do all work.  

Now I'm ready to start learning to manage the rental and will be looking for the next house.  My partner and I are now leaning more toward a flip instead of a rental. We think maybe we should split the money made on a flip and do our own buy and hold investing, instead of committing to 30 years of payments together.

Here are some pics of the house when we bought it.

And after:

65Reply
408 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · United States · Member since 2015 · 415 posts · 487 votes
9y

Way to go. Not a huge profit spread, but much more important is that you have one in the rear view mirror.

See this reply in the discussion

167 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Frantz JosephPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · GA · Member since 2017 · 62 posts · 44 votes
    9y
    Great job!!!
  • Rental Property Investor · Grove, OK · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 7 votes
    9y
    Great Job...I'm just starting and looking for my first property, your a great inspiration!
  • Kuba F.Pro Member
    Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 694 votes
    9y
    Nice work!
  • Investor · San Luis Obispo, CA · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Very nice, congrats! 

  • Brian PheltPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 234 posts · 85 votes
    9y

    You guys have done a great job!  You should be proud!

  • Investor · United States · Member since 2015 · 415 posts · 487 votes
    9y

    Way to go. Not a huge profit spread, but much more important is that you have one in the rear view mirror.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 732 votes
    9y
    Nice job , it looks real nice . How much do you think you saved by doing the work yourself? , I agree it's probably best to hire out the rehab. But I'm sure it was a good learning experience to do it yourself . I can also see what you mean about not wanting to partner on buy and hold deals .. I don't think I'd want to do that myself .
  • Real Estate Agent · Denham Springs, LA · Member since 2017 · 226 posts · 159 votes
    9y
    I got a quote for all the work to be done. We ended up having them do the floors and fence only and we did everything else. We saved $5,000-$7,000 doing work ourselves. And you're right, I did learn a lot. I'm definitely not the most handy guy, so there were lots of YouTube videos and questions involved. The painting is what really got me. It took so long to paint all of the trim and doors.. way longer than I would have guessed.
  • Realtor · Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 925 votes
    9y
    Well done ! Huge congrats!
  • New to Real Estate · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2017 · 47 posts · 15 votes
    9y
    Congratulations on your first property! I'm glad it was a success and good luck finding your next investment! If you don't mind, how much cash flow is this property receiving? How did you decide how much money to set aside for capex, taxes, maintenance, etc.?
  • Real Estate Agent · Denham Springs, LA · Member since 2017 · 226 posts · 159 votes
    9y
    Our payment on this one is $750 per month. We are getting $1500 per month in rent. We are not taking any money out for ourselves for a while. Everything above the mortgage payment is going to stay in the bank account, and for now we have decided to keep a minimum of $5000 in that account for maintenance, capex, and vacancies.
  • Sumter, SC · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Congrats on your first deal! 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    9y

    Well done @Shaun R.!  Not a home run like you said, but a solid deal that will have cash-flow and equity build over time.  And it's in your rear view mirror now!

    Your lessons shared about negotiating harder at the buy and being willing to walk away and who to hire for what project are great.    Painters are expensive, too, especially trim and doors.  Now that you've done it, it will be faster and better next time. Don't give up!

    How did you find your partner? How do you own the hose together, TIC? How are profits and tasks shared? JV agreement or LLC? Thanks for any insight!

  • Investor/Realtor · Hoover, AL · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 459 votes
    9y

    Congrats!!!

  • Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    9y
    amazing!!!
  • Springfield, MO · Member since 2017 · 158 posts · 114 votes
    9y

    @Shaun R. congrats on your first deal!

  • Investor · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2016 · 60 posts · 20 votes
    9y

    Way to go!  Thanks for sharing your numbers, experience, and lessons....very helpful.

  • Developer · Little Ferry, NJ · Member since 2016 · 426 posts · 226 votes
    9y

    What I love to see is that one word that makes all the difference. "ACTION." I read none stop about posts of people saying "oh... I'm reading and I'm learning but nothing is happening, guys I'm discouraged, IDK what to do.." Action is the key to success, doesn't matter if you lose money on your first deal, as long as you took action and learned the hard way, I GUARANTEE you'll never make the same mistake twice and the deal after that will be profitable. But Great job. looks great.

  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    Congratulations on your first deal! I went looked at houses yesterday I will be making offers on a ton of homes these next few weeks. Is this cash flowing? Or will that be later down the road when more of it is paid off?

  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 12 votes
    9y
    Fabulous!
  • Real Estate Agent · Englewood, NJ · Member since 2017 · 93 posts · 31 votes
    9y

    Congrats!! Hardwood floors look amazing.  That is how it's done! Great Job!!

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 43 posts · 19 votes
    9y

    Congratulations! You are an inspiration. It looks great!

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    9y

    Not only did you do a beautiful rehab job  but you also completed your first deal which gives you more confidence to move on to number 2

  • Real Estate Agent · Denham Springs, LA · Member since 2017 · 226 posts · 159 votes
    9y
    @Steve Vaughn my partner is a guy I work with. He was also interested in real estate investing and had more money laying around than me. I closed on the house and after closing we filled out a form that gave him 50% ownership. We just used a general partnership. We should have used an LLC, but this all happened kind of quickly.
  • Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 27 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    Looks awesome.  Good job.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.