From 1 to 54 units this year so far.

From 1 to 54 units this year so far.

Dubuque, IA · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 109 votes
I just thought I would share because I'm pretty excited really! Being rather intrigued with real estate since I was 20 or so I have finally acquired some property. Circa 2005-2006 I built a couple of spec houses and made a few bucks not really knowing much. Real estate kind of went by the way side as I was working different jobs and building my electrical business. Last year I was working at a home that was in rough shape when the neighbor told me it was for sale. I ended up making an offer and getting the house. We remodeled it and am now renting it. Purchase price was 55k. We stuck about 5k in it plus my own labor and are getting $850/month rent. Last fall we got the line on 2-12 plexes side by side, and 2 more 6 plex units. The 2-6 plex units were dragging the return down to 2%. We took the 2-12 plex units with an 11% return after agreed on a price and the rest is history. Shortly thereafter we purchased another duplex with a garage and shortly after that another duplex. Just when we thought that was it for the year having a goal of 50 units that I was leary of hitting, our broker called and said, hey I know where there are 12 more units that you can pick up for a reasonable price you just need to make an offer on them. He told us what he initially wanted and we made an offer around $100,000 less and the seller accepted. We also asked to do this as a land contract with 20% down 4.5 percent interest which he also accepted. At this point I thought to myself, that's it for the year and low and behold the phone rang. The same guy that we bought the first 24 from that wouldn't move on the price of the other 12 had decided to take 130k off of the asking price from one year earlier. I said let's do it and that leaves us at 53 to date this year and 54 total!
55Reply
318 views

Most Popular Reply

Laveen, AZ · Member since 2016 · 584 posts · 528 votes
9y

I'm disappointed at the criticism offered by some of you that didn't take the time to thoroughly read the man's post. Even as a newbie I could see it was 850 on first property and 30k was not his quoted profit.  There are green investors like myself that thrive off any educational experience we can get especially when it's  FREE.  Richard didn't have to share such personal detailed information next to his first and last name with location included.  If you think someone is feeding you nonsense to "look cool" please just ignore it. At best ask for clarification.  But don't hate on somebody that is helping the rest of us, I would hate for seasoned investors to refrain from sharing knowledge.  

See this reply in the discussion

105 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor/Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 291 posts · 308 votes
    9y
    Congrats to you on your success! What type of financing are you using to acquire so quickly?
  • Dubuque, IA · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 109 votes
    9y

    Mainly bank loans, 20 year am, 20% down. Returns are 10-15% cash on cash.

  • Rental Property Investor · Scotch Plains, NJ · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 54 votes
    9y
    Amazing! Keep kicking ***!
  • Rental Property Investor · Scranton, PA · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 33 votes
    9y

    Congrats to your success! 

  • Investor · Aurora, CO · Member since 2016 · 114 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    @Richard Biechler, the more I learn about Land Contracts, the more I love them.  I certainly know that many deals are available in almost all markets with some sort of owner financing, but land contracts are a special animal.  This a great way to waltz into a deal without a lot of banks lingering around, and the few deals I have been working on pulling together with land contracts, are all being sold by investors who have no special tie to the property (except the cash flow that it brings).  They also are OK with floating their profit into the future and taking it in installments (either accelerating the repayment or asking for a balloon at the end of an agreed term).

    Congrats to you, certainly a lesson to be learned here is that accumulating property doors in bulk IS possible, in a short time period if you are prepared and ready to act!

  • Dubuque, IA · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 109 votes
    9y

    Thanks for all of the positive feedback! It is truly appreciated!

  • Rental Property Investor · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2017 · 187 posts · 256 votes
    9y

    @Richard Biechler, I live in the Quad Cities and am a fairly new real estate investor that's brand new to BP. I'm intrigued by this thread. Can I ask... are all your properties in the Dubuque area, and are you currently looking at deals in other markets?

  • Dubuque, IA · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 109 votes
    9y

    @Chris Jensen all of my properties are in the Dubuque area. I would look in other markets if the deal was large enough that I wouldn't have to babysit it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2017 · 187 posts · 256 votes
    9y

    Interesting. I've considered broadening my horizons beyond the QCA. Just curious... the "line" you got on your first multi-family deal, was that a listed property recommended by your broker, or was it off-market?

  • CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    @ Richard Biechler - what is the total market value of all 48 units? And what is your total monthly cash flow? If you don't mind sharing ?
  • Freeport, IL · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Congratulations are in order. That's some major success in a short time period. 

  • Investor · Fargo, ND · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    What a great story,! Following in hopes of hearing more details regarding @Diane G.'s questions.

  • Dubuque, IA · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 109 votes
    9y

    @Chris Jensen, the first and last deal have been private, both not on the market. the 4th deal was not on market either, my broker just knew of the property and that the seller had and interest in selling it.

    @Henry Carter, thanks!

    @Diane G. and @Erik Hopperstad, total market is approx. 2.64mm and total monthly cashflow is approx. 30k.

  • Investor · Leander, TX · Member since 2016 · 105 posts · 40 votes
    9y

    Richard, what an inspiring story! Hats off to your determination and persistence. 

  • Investor · Easton, PA · Member since 2017 · 131 posts · 102 votes
    9y

    @Richard Biechler

    Hi Richard, congratulations on this very swift move to early 30k+ a month, that's huge!

    I am an investor in a Pennsylvania and was looking to recreate your success. Thus far my partners and I have a handful of very profitable and very stable investments (20+% COC return each for over a year)

    My goal, naturally, is to expand exponentially...

    ...in terms of expansion .. my main question is .. did you fund those 20% down payments personally?   I suppose for me, I can easily find the properties that cash flow and do well.  The real issue with me reaching the sky is the initial capital investments .. 20% of 2.64 million is over $500,000 .. such liquid capital would be very hard to come by in the short run... so, how did you do it? 

    Another very key question .. Are you self managing?  If not, what are you paying and how actively are you managing that partner?

    Do you mind posting specific numbers on specific property acquisitions? eg. purchase price, closing costs, financing details, rental rolls, expenses, etc. 

    Thank you for your time :) 

  • Specialist · CHICAGO · Member since 2015 · 680 posts · 650 votes
    9y

    @Chris Jensen Hey! We have a bi-weekly REI Club meeting in the QC every other Tuesday! You should come out and meet everyone!

  • Landlord · Dallas, TX · Member since 2011 · 63 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    @Richard Biechler First and foremost Congratations! How much liquid capital would one need to acquire that much in a year? I also started my real estate passion in my 20's. I started with a 4 plex that I lived in and then rented out 3 of the units. I was 23 (now 35) and to date that's been my biggest sucesss since then I've found most bank lenders want 20-25% down which is a lot in my area so aside from the one 4 plex all my rentals are single family. Is there a way to buy up that much property without a massive savings account or does the old adage of it takes money to make money come in to play on large deals like these? 

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 87 votes
    9y

    congrats!

  • Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 293 posts · 109 votes
    9y
    Richard Biechler congrats on the success! Right now we are sitting at 3 units and looking to start expanding before the end of the year. It's inspiring to read that 1-54 units in less than 12 months is that possible. Thanks for sharing!
  • Specialist · Collegeville, PA · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Insanely awesome!  Great work!

  • SUGAR HILL, GA · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    wow. Congratulations sir.

  • New to Real Estate · Thousand Oaks, CA · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Great job. Truly inspiring.

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    9y

    Great job Richard, that's fantastic!

  • Lees Summit, MO · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    @Richard Biechler Thanks for sharing. Very inspiring. I'm just getting started and your story encourages me to take action and make offers.  Can you share some of the due diligence steps you took for the 12 units? Also, are you doing this by yourself or with partners?

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Congrats! One question: In addition to 20% down, the bank requires so many months of reserves for loan approval right? The more properties you have, the more reserve you need? How did you get around that?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.