Is this a deal in the SF Bay Area?

Is this a deal in the SF Bay Area?

Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 5 votes

Hey, bigger pockets 

I may have stumbled upon my first RE deal in the  SF bay area!! let me know what you think.

Plan:  

Buy and hold, I am looking to move in and possibly house hack a bedroom. ~700/month

About the property: 

4 bed 2.5 bath 1700sq  townhouse off market. The owner/agent is offering it at $680,000 ferm.

Needs:

Full rehab but its livable. 

Rent:

ROM has it as $3500/m

Comps: 

2 bed 1.5bath updated listed at  575,000 (redfin estimates 610,000)

3bed 2.5 bath updated sold 685,000 in April 2017

Also, the seller is a realtor too, I have not agreed to let him represent me as the seller but I'm open to working with him to possibly make the deal work. 

Loan: 

30 year fixed  20% down  4.25 

Let me know what you think. 

thanks MP

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/apa/d/3-brbath-town-home-in/6303742779.html 5 seconds on craigslist... no room mate needed, no 200k needed. 

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Markus Powell, what do you mean: "I have not agreed to let him represent me as the seller"?

    I hope you realize that your PITI would be almost EXACTLY the same as ROM Rent?

    And that's with you NOT living there. But sure, good luck finding consistent paying roommate Tenants.

    And what about all of its OTHER expenses? Are you sure they'd only add up to ~$700/m on average?

    (Including VACANCY allowance)?

    My guess is that the "off-market" price is hardly any different to what he reckons it'd net if listed!

    Otherwise, just WHY is any Realtor GIVING AWAY money, cash, spondulas, and dinero? Cheers...

  • Oakland, CA · Member since 2015 · 27 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    What is the ARV?

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Hi @Brent Coombs , I assume that since I do not have a realtor yet he would want to represent "both buyer and seller". I would only be OK with that if I found this was a good deal.

    You do make a good point, this deal does not get close to the 50% rule, but in my area homes are selling for very high asking prices causing bidding wars.

    I was considering this deal because currently, I am paying $2500 for rent. Whereas PITI would be $3800 and I would be able to use the tax advantage of ~1000/month to help supplement that. I could then find housemates to help pay for the rehab.

    Also, there is a 2 bed 1.5 baths fully rehabbed unit listed for $585,000 that has the potential to go for up to 610,000.

    There is alose a full rehabbed similar3 bed unit valued at 712,000.

    I do agree with you about the asking price being close to market value, but I feel if it hits the open market the price may be driven up.

    thanks

    Markus

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Did I miss the part where you talk about rehab costs? Also how much is the HOA which I'm assuming you aren't paying now.

  • Real Estate Broker · Redwood City, CA · Member since 2014 · 679 posts · 888 votes
    9y
    This is at best a market retail price, probably higher than that. Do not buy from a realtor seller, he knows a lot more than you do on the market. If he thinks it will sell at 680k on open market, he will do that. He is likely thinking of saving some commissions from the buyer side. If you let him represent you, you should ask for a discount.
  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    You could just get some roommates in a already remodeled place and rent it... and likely save a good chunk of money.

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    @Matt K. the HOA is $380. The PITI + HOA = $3800.

    I am having a hard time estimating rehab cost because im not a contractor, but I am willing to rehab as I go. I know that before moving in I would at least do paint, scrape the ceiling and a deep clean. 

    I do think $680 is expensive. 

    What do you think would be a good deal on this property?

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    I have zero clue because you say it needs a full rehab... rehab would drive the price of the unit. Deep Clean, Scrape, and Paint, could run you close to 5k fairly easy. For your comps are these sold properties or for sale? List price doesn't mean they sold for that much. But just from what you said so you get a better idea...

    680k purchase, 20% down probably going to run you close to 12k in closing costs. So you're going to need almost 150k cash for this deal. Then let's figure a modest 25k for your rehab budget (which really doesn't go as far as you'd think). 
    If you are trying to save some money with a househack... this won't be it. If you're trying to invest... this probably isn't it either. The fact that you can't even estimate rehab costs increases your risk of getting ripped off or missing obvious costly repair items tremendously... Seems silly to toss in a almost 200k to increase vs what you're paying for rent. I'm willing to bet you a round of drinks you can either find a better deal and I can basically guarantee you can find something that would be cheaper to rent than 200k and 3800 a month.

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/apa/d/3-brbath-town-home-in/6303742779.html 5 seconds on craigslist... no room mate needed, no 200k needed. 

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Markus Powell:

    @Matt K. the HOA is $380. The PITI + HOA = $3800.

    I am having a hard time estimating rehab cost because im not a contractor, but I am willing to rehab as I go. I know that before moving in I would at least do paint, scrape the ceiling and a deep clean. 

    I do think $680 is expensive. 

    What do you think would be a good deal on this property?

    Why ask "What do you think would be a good deal on this property" - when you've already been told "$680k FIRM"?

    If this Realtor would actually NOW talk to you about a "deal", I reckon you should walk away - on principle!

    What principle? The principle that he'd ALREADY be proven to be a liar (if he did now consider a lower price)!

    But can't a Seller change their mind? Sure. But with him, it would PROVE that it's just a game to him.

    Playing with YOUR tens of thousands of EXTRA dollars, when you shouldn't have been asked to believe he's "firm"!

    Thanks for sharing the Realtor shenanigans that seem to still be rife in that part of the world.

    How about: subletting your CURRENT rental to help out with your expenses? (Or, consider doing THAT, elsewhere?)

    If you've got $200k, you probably should look for a GENUINE off-market deal, from motivated/distressed Sellers!...

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Thanks, BP community

    IT seems that this "not so deal" is looking like it may fall apart. I contacted my realtor to take a look at the property and to negotiate on my behalf. I'm thinking he may be able to find a price that works for both of us. 

    Worst case is that the property hits that market and I can watch it form there. 

    I'm really not in love with this property because I'm not really into rehabs, I was hopeing to capitalise on the crazy apreacation that my area is having. 

    Moving forward I will keep looking for a more "move in ready" property that I can househack. My only issue is that properties that meet that criteria are mostly out of my price range or in a bad area.   

    And the search continues...

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    If you're trying to house hack... 
    https://www.redfin.com/CA/Alameda/20-Maitland-Dr-9...

    feel free to send me finders fee, k thanks lol

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Matt K.:

    If you're trying to house hack... 
    https://www.redfin.com/CA/Alameda/20-Maitland-Dr-9...

    feel free to send me finders fee, k thanks lol

    Though at $785k, the $680k one look more promising after all, right?

    But take note everybody: LIST price doesn't mean ANYTHING!

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Brent Coombs:
    Originally posted by @Matt K.:

    If you're trying to house hack... 
    https://www.redfin.com/CA/Alameda/20-Maitland-Dr-9...

    feel free to send me finders fee, k thanks lol

    Though at $785k, the $680k one look more promising after all, right?

    But take note everybody: LIST price doesn't mean ANYTHING!

     785 is for a duplex (which would be easier to house hack) vs 680+ mysterious amount of rehab and only being able to rent a room.

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    That duplex is more ideal, I will keep my eye on it. I just hope the market does not push the price up any higher.

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Update....so the townhouse hit the market this morning. After meeting with the seller my realtor thinks the I should offer $650. I am strongly considering it. If I can get it for that it will bring down to PITI to $3550

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Not my deal. Several things do not gyrate.

    What is the appraised value from a third party (independent appraiser) say? A full blown former appraiser that you need to get a mortgage.

    Your comps values are not right. I want a 3 or 4 brm, 1500-1900 sf town home with similar hoa due +/- 10 years within 1/2 mile or so sold last 90 days, same school or equivalent quality. I will never use a realtor's CMA as he will find you inflated values. As a realtor he only needs to pay buyer agent not on his side. If he puts on the MLS he will get all kinds of offers high or not why he is selling as "pocket listing just to you 680 ferm"?

    Your rent of $3500 is high. For single family homes in central, Cambrian Park, Campbell I see one may have to pay that much. This one in North SJ even very new in move in condition with attached garage will not fetch that price.  Rent is way slower each year with peak 2.5 years ago. So unless I hear the appraised value -rehab cost(inside is never much if you know what your are doing-2.5%) is what the highest you want to pay.  You can hire a realtor to represent you to make it easier and fair (you pay him direct).

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    @Sam Shueh Thank you for analyzing this deal.  I'm going to move on. I'm going to make a spreadsheet of all the due diligence that needs to be done.   

    thanks 

    .....and on the next

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.