0 to 54 units in 12 months

0 to 54 units in 12 months

Real Estate Investor & Marketing Specialist · Montreal, QC · Member since 2013 · 182 posts · 367 votes

Hey guys,

I am a full-time real estate investor from Montreal, Canada. Almost 3 years ago, I started flipping single-family houses and subdividing land on a part-time basis. One year later, I was able to go at it full-time along with my business partner. To date, we have completed over 20 transactions. 

In September 2016, my partner and I decided to keep flipping, but to focus most of our attention on buying rental properties in order to build sustainable long-term wealth.

Fast forward 12 months later, we went from 0 unit to 54 units with a little over 1.7 million dollars in equity (along with 3 million in mortgage).

The key is simple: You just have to do it. Take action! Nobody else will do it for you. Everything you buy should ideally be off market, and you have to be very careful with your calculations in order to buy properties that will surely yield great returns. If you analyze the right way, you will decrease your risk drastically. 

No we are not rich, and we used OPM (other people's money) to complete all of our purchases.

If we could do it at 28 years old, so can you!

Let's go!!

G

85Reply
313 views

Most Popular Reply

Joshua ThompsonBusiness Member
Accountant · Melissa, TX (Remote) · Member since 2017 · 210 posts · 135 votes
9y

@Guillaume D.

You mentioned the best deals are the ones off the market. I would love to know how you're getting your deals?

Thompson Tax Group LLC550 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

146 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Windsor, WI · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    Great work!

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 30 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Congrats on your success Guillaume!  I'm looking to invest in another buy and hold deal.  Would you recommend Montreal?

  • Real Estate Investor & Marketing Specialist · Montreal, QC · Member since 2013 · 182 posts · 367 votes
    9y

    Hey guys! Thanks for the incredible support and feedback. I will do my best to respond to everybody's comment, inbox and colleague request, but I am getting SWAMPED right now so thanks for your patience!

  • Real Estate Investor & Marketing Specialist · Montreal, QC · Member since 2013 · 182 posts · 367 votes
    9y

    @Steven Scano I've answered that question already in a few previous comments. Go check it out :)!

    @Drew Markert My pleasure!

    @Simon Girouard Let's connect in private, it will be easier. Thanks!

    @Ashley Bartlett Great job! I started just like you guys with a triplex a little more than 5 years ago. Keep it up!

    @Meredith L. Keep us posted on that potential purchase! Make sure to run your numbers very carefully on such a large property ;).

    @Jacob Perez Amen!

  • Real Estate Investor & Marketing Specialist · Montreal, QC · Member since 2013 · 182 posts · 367 votes
    9y

    @Michael Ablan We are actually targeting bigger properties since my partner and I each owned a triplex for several years and we wanted to get into the larger building game. We own an 8-plex, a 12-unit, an 18-unit and a 16-unit at the moment. We have another 8-plex lined up and we are actually doing the inspection today on that one. 

  • Real Estate Investor & Marketing Specialist · Montreal, QC · Member since 2013 · 182 posts · 367 votes
    9y

    @Tchaka Owen Only in Montreal for now.

    @Kristopher Gomez We don't have SFRs, only multi-family.

    @Michelle Hood Glad we could agree :)!

  • Real Estate Investor & Marketing Specialist · Montreal, QC · Member since 2013 · 182 posts · 367 votes
    9y

    @Brian Ploszay I agree with you. I started with a triplex over 5 years ago. That's how I gained experience on how to manage tenants. I was also in the real estate world for about 3 years doing flips and other projects before I bought all of these units. 

  • Real Estate Investor & Marketing Specialist · Montreal, QC · Member since 2013 · 182 posts · 367 votes
    9y

    @Steven Lam We would love to do that! One day we will for sure.

    @JJ O. Montreal is a very competitive market and prices are very high. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it over other markets.

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Congrats!  Keep the cash flow strong.

  • Developer · Elmhurst, IL · Member since 2015 · 39 posts · 6 votes
    9y
    Great Job, i love great story's like this for motivation. Thanks for sharing.
  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    Good stuff! My partner and I are working on our first rental, and looking for flips to build cash reserves and allow he and I to go at it full time. He's a realtor so he will be doing the selling. 

    We have a goal of 10 rentals by mid September 2018, but if we can get 20, or more, I will not complain.

  • Rental Property Investor · FL · Member since 2017 · 74 posts · 27 votes
    9y

    Guillaume, truly awesome! Question for you, did you use the profits from the flips to buy the rentals? Just wondering where the cash for those down payments came from. Thanks! :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Awesome job! Wish you and your partner the best in the years to come.

  • Montreal, Quebec · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    @Guillaume d.

    congrats on all your success, I'm from Montreal canada as well im looking into real estate investing 

    Please me know if you have any advice for someone starting in the QC. Market 

    Thank you 

  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    Thank you. Needed to hear that.
  • Investor · Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y

    Hey Guillaume,   It's so great to hear success stories like yours in the Canadian market!  

    I know you're keen on using OPM for the equity portion of your deals, but for the debt portion - are you usually entering into conventional funding with bigger Canadian banks or using other resources? 

    If your team is ever interested in real estate on the east coast (I'm in Prince Edward Island) - be sure to drop a line! I'd love to hear more about how you stay profitable with our inflated Canadian land prices.

    Thanks for sharing your story and all the best in the future, sir!

    Dave

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 124 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    @Guillaume D. Congrats! Your story gives me hope! Could you go into a little more detail about how you are financing these deals?

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Congrats man! Very motivating story. Keep it up! 

  • Emmanuel LopezPro Member
    Investor · Elizabeth, NJ · Member since 2017 · 70 posts · 14 votes
    9y

    @Guillaume D.great story and thank you for sharing. Wishing you and your partners much more success.

  • Ray DipasupilPro Member
    Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 149 posts · 51 votes
    9y

    Diggin' your pace! Congrats @Guillaume D.!

  • Real Estate Agent · Mooresville, NC · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    @Sebastian Kressley Check this thread out ^^

  • Canoga Park, CA · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    That’s a truly motivating story! If you don’t mind me asking, how much did you earn off properties to make you switch to full time?
  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Very motivating! Congrats!!

    I hope that my investing will take a turn in the same direction!

  • Emmanuel LopezPro Member
    Investor · Elizabeth, NJ · Member since 2017 · 70 posts · 14 votes
    9y
    Guillaume D. Also wanted to ask if you don’t mind sharing when you say directmail how do you source your list? If you can PM me I’d appreciate it. Thank you Best of luck!
  • Rental Property Investor · Papillion, NE · Member since 2017 · 398 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Congrats Guillaume D. Amazing work! Its incredible what you can do when you put your mind and effort to it! Keep up the great work!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.