To flip, or not to flip? I need your guidance.

To flip, or not to flip? I need your guidance.

Louisville, KY · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 23 votes

So I got my first deal (other than my "house-hacked" home) under contract.  It is 2 separate properties side-by-side.  One house was ravaged by a fire and the plan is to just tear it down and hold the lot (the area is in the beginning stages of revitalization).  The second home is currently split as an awkward duplex, but was originally built as a sfh (3/2).  Keeping it in it's current floor plan won't produce enough rental income to make my numbers work.  The end game is buy and hold but am not opposed to flipping.

The way I see it after running my numbers, I have 2 options from which to choose:

Purchase price - $80000 (LOC @ 5% interest only payments)

Option 1 - Revert the home back to a 3/2. Flip it. Go on my way. ARV is 170-180k. Rehab Cost - 35K (Net Profit 30K)

Option 2 - Same as option 1 but hold the property and rebuild a 2 car garage w/ ADU above. ARV 180-190k. Rehab Cost 50K. Rental Income 20400. (Cash Flow 400+/- per month)

I think both options look attractive for my first deal, however, I guess my question is to what your opinions might be.  Would it be smarter to grow my nest egg quicker or wait for the appreciation (which should probably take about 5 years to be in full swing)?

By the by,  I'll be holding the second plot free & clear after all is said and done.  Very excited for this amazing adventure on which I've embarked!!!

0Reply
24 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Gulf Breeze, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 733 votes
    8y

    Sounds like a great opportunity @Brian Jackson. I'm a cash flow guy so I would stick to Option2, but I also realize utilizing different strategies per property can potentially support your overall goal. 

    By that I mean, if you did option 1, what can you flip that net profit into that will support your goals?

    What goals are you trying to achieve that will help support your purpose for REI?

  • Louisville, KY · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 23 votes
    8y

    You bring up a valid point, @Jay Helms.  Ultimately, cash flow is my goal.  The profit from a flip would be the down payment for the next cash flowing property, but not more or less than this one could currently bring.  I believe I'm starting to see the light.

  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    If your goal is cash flow via buy and hold then your decision should be simple.

    BRRRR this property and go with Option #2 so you get the best of both worlds.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.