My first deal: West Coast to the Midwest

My first deal: West Coast to the Midwest

St. Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 12 votes
Its been close to two years since my first and last post. Since then I've relocated from Southern California to St. Louis Missouri area. I couldn't afford to make my real estate investment dreams become a reality or I wasn't thinking creatively. Anyways I finally pulled the trigger last month and purchased a 1600 sqft duplex (1bed, 1 bath units) for 90k with the intentions to owner occupy. Got the state to help with my down (they gave me 3600). My out of pocket was about 4100 including closing, inspection and earnest money. Currently in the process of moving one tenant out from the unit that I'll be occupying and keeping the other tenant there who will be paying more than half of my mortgage, my portion being $250!! I'm looking to put about 15-20k of work in and for an ARV of about 130k. I know it wasnt the best deal but I had to make a move, plus I'm only 2 miles from work now vs. 40. I hope to refi in 6 months, pay back the 3600 to the state and buy another duplex on the same street. My property is one of 15 identical duplexs on the same street. The goal is to own all 15!
2Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
8y

@Carlos Vega congrats on taking action! This is the hardest part of the whole thing in my opinion. Your goals may change as you get going, but taking the first step is the hardest. I personally started by wanting to buy 10 four units. I bought my first one in Lyons, IL, and then made the jump to apartments and never looked back. Trust me, you won't regret the duplex!

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    8y

    @Carlos Vega congrats on taking action! This is the hardest part of the whole thing in my opinion. Your goals may change as you get going, but taking the first step is the hardest. I personally started by wanting to buy 10 four units. I bought my first one in Lyons, IL, and then made the jump to apartments and never looked back. Trust me, you won't regret the duplex!

  • Real Estate Agent · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 26 votes
    8y

    @Carlos Vega congrats on taking your first step, it's the hardest one to take!  What area is your duplex?

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2008 · 44 posts · 8 votes
    8y
    Well done. I did my second duplex just recently and am now trying to get it rent ready. I am trying to stay the course, learn, and do more.
  • St. Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 12 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @John Warren:

    @Carlos Vega congrats on taking action! This is the hardest part of the whole thing in my opinion. Your goals may change as you get going, but taking the first step is the hardest. I personally started by wanting to buy 10 four units. I bought my first one in Lyons, IL, and then made the jump to apartments and never looked back. Trust me, you won't regret the duplex!

    Totally agree, my problem is that I'm a complete control freak and think I need to have everything figured out in order to move forward but that's just not realistic. I'm coming to learn that I'll learn as I go and in about two weeks I might not even have any interest in the duplexes on my street haha.

  • St. Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 12 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Kenton Coffman:

    @Carlos Vega congrats on taking your first step, it's the hardest one to take!  What area is your duplex?

     Thanks! I'm in Overland.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.