Buying multiple properties in year 1 - can I keep this up?

Buying multiple properties in year 1 - can I keep this up?

Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 46 posts · 26 votes

Jumping in to real estate was a well-calculated move. I live in San Jose, and this market is notorious for making people lose faith in their ability to purchase. 

I bought my primary residence in May of 2017 - a brand new million dollar 3 story 2200 sq ft home and closed on a 500k vacation/rental in Lake Tahoe right before the new year. 

The primary was financed with 10% down and the rental was financed with 20% down. 

I strongly believe the the community I purchased my primary in has massive potential upside, and have been blown away by the prices i've seen my neighbors sell their properties for within just a year of owning. 

I'm sharing this in the "success stories" section because I can't stand how discouraged people get, and I truly despise the mindset of "i'll just wait for the market to crash"

We need to find a way to make it work - no one will do it for us

18Reply
248 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
8y

We have been hearing that the market is going to crash for four years now; so, many investors agree that sitting on the sidelines for extended periods is very costly.

If you have strong market knowledge, buy in good locations, use prudent debt, and have reserves, buying (predictable) appreciation plays can be a very profitable strategy.

On a side note, buying property is not a success story...making a profit over the long-term is.

See this reply in the discussion

161 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 46 posts · 26 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    lol. Can’t believe this thread is still going. 

    Just let him be. He doesn’t take suggestion/criticism well. Plenty of people tried to help him out and give pointer and he shoots them down. 

     How do you feel I shot you down?

    You came on to this thread and immediately turned it in to your opinion on when the real estate market is going to see a downturn 

    Hard to see how that makes me the bad guy

     I was responding to what you were saying to those that posted before me. When one (experienced investor) started mentioning why he wouldn’t invest in that area (which is criticism). You started saying how he is pessimistic, and I came in telling you the reason why many investors would not want to invest in that area. 

    Then when others chimes in trying to tell you just banking on appreciation is not a good idea, you got defensive. After that, I showed you graphs and showed you results. without knowing how to trade options, stocks, or how the PDT rule work (day trading rule), you didn’t view me as a stock investor due to the fact that my trading account only had 2k when those 2k makes me more money than any other investment vehicles (read up on options trading since 2k leveraged actually is worth around 100-200k depending on stocks). And just for the record, I make 4K in just my stock investments a month. And about to start up my personal investment firm for real estate. 

    Investors have multiple accounts for asset protection, so most of the time investors on here propbably has 3-4 accounts in 2-5 different investment sectors. 

    Hopefully you can see why people are viewing you as a “bad guy” and reason why they are “bagging” on your success. Investment is not black and white; burning bridges as someone new to the investment world will hamper your ability to expand. 

     You seem to love talking about all of the ways you are amazing at what you do. 

    You should also write a book about how you make 4k a month on 2k in Robinhood - I would buy it

    As you have seen in this thread, there a many strategies to take advantage of when dealing with properties in a high appreciation area like mine. Also, note how the majority of you people who are negative or pessimistic about it don't live in areas like mine, have had little to no experience investing in areas like mine, so forth. On the other hand, we have had some good comments about good strategies to use in areas like mine from people who DO live or invest in these types of areas.

    So maybe you should look in the mirror and realize that there are many ways to make money investing in real estate - and just because you don't like one method doesn't mean it can't work

     Lmao. Alright I’m done trying to help you. The only reason why I mentioned my “success”  is cause I was trying to show you results since I figured that was the only way you would listen to people since you didn’t want to listen to myself or anyone else. If you notice majority of experienced people on here were trying to help you. Even people near your market... but two or three people that are in the same boat as you backed you up compared to 6+ other investors doesn’t fit your logic, that’s fine. 

    You probably didn’t even read my comment or you are the type to only see things that you like, but I’ll say it one more time people have different accounts. That Robinhood account roughly makes 1-1.5 k a month which is my active trading. I have passive investment accounts... also, that screen shot even shows $700 gain in less than a full day, but I guess you have narrow vision as well. 

    Good Luck though. Really do wish you succeed. Sucks seeing new investors waste money. 

     $700 in one day is not bad at all. I don’t think that’s consistent. I think you keep that screen shot handy to wave around when you need to remind yourself how good you think you are. I’d love to see some screenshots of your last open and closest positions on robinhood (should be easy, just look in the history section and it’ll show you). Maybe you’re lifetime balance snap shot. But I know you won’t post those. Because they wouldn’t support your figures you brag about.  But feel free to prove me wrong and I’ll gladly admit that you’re on to something. In fact, I’d even pay you for advice on how to generate 1-1.5k cash flow consistently per month with 2k balance in robinhood. 

    It’s not an us vs them battle here for which real estate investors have the best strategies. What I’m doing is not “wrong” in any sense of the word. I was born and raised in this type of real estate environment (high apprection). Why in the world WOULDNT I invest in my area for my primary? 

     Lol...Don't even know why I am playing along...

     I already admitted in taking a screenshot of that profit due to it being one of my highest trade... If you go back to my post, I told you I average about 20-25% a trade as a swing trader (I am guessing you don't know what that is since you were bringing up the PDT rule). It's options stock trading; look it up. That's a pretty common profit margin. Here I'll throw you a bone: I edited it and just showed percentage since it seems like the small cash amount doesn't excite you. Also, it was brought to my attention that I shouldn't be posting these kind of stuff in a public RE forums so this will be my last one. 

    Pretty sure you can do the math.

    And you are right, it is hard to keep this up and you can see the spikes and downs which is why I have multiple accounts and different source income. 

    So this is perfect, I would like EVERYONE reading this thread to take note that he is a fraud.

    That screenshot that you doctored up was pulled directly from reddit, from a user who posted over a year ago. This same user is discussing his strategy in that thread and i'll give you a wild guess as to if it's trading options or not. 

    It's not. His current strategy in that thread is trading gold ETFs. Here is the screen shot for proof, and i'll will most certainly be reporting this for abuse.

    Like I said, you are a fraud and are lying about your successes in here - for what purposes I honestly don't know

  • Real Estate Investor · Middle Island, NY · Member since 2016 · 147 posts · 68 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    lol. Can’t believe this thread is still going. 

    Just let him be. He doesn’t take suggestion/criticism well. Plenty of people tried to help him out and give pointer and he shoots them down. 

     How do you feel I shot you down?

    You came on to this thread and immediately turned it in to your opinion on when the real estate market is going to see a downturn 

    Hard to see how that makes me the bad guy

     I was responding to what you were saying to those that posted before me. When one (experienced investor) started mentioning why he wouldn’t invest in that area (which is criticism). You started saying how he is pessimistic, and I came in telling you the reason why many investors would not want to invest in that area. 

    Then when others chimes in trying to tell you just banking on appreciation is not a good idea, you got defensive. After that, I showed you graphs and showed you results. without knowing how to trade options, stocks, or how the PDT rule work (day trading rule), you didn’t view me as a stock investor due to the fact that my trading account only had 2k when those 2k makes me more money than any other investment vehicles (read up on options trading since 2k leveraged actually is worth around 100-200k depending on stocks). And just for the record, I make 4K in just my stock investments a month. And about to start up my personal investment firm for real estate. 

    Investors have multiple accounts for asset protection, so most of the time investors on here propbably has 3-4 accounts in 2-5 different investment sectors. 

    Hopefully you can see why people are viewing you as a “bad guy” and reason why they are “bagging” on your success. Investment is not black and white; burning bridges as someone new to the investment world will hamper your ability to expand. 

     You seem to love talking about all of the ways you are amazing at what you do. 

    You should also write a book about how you make 4k a month on 2k in Robinhood - I would buy it

    As you have seen in this thread, there a many strategies to take advantage of when dealing with properties in a high appreciation area like mine. Also, note how the majority of you people who are negative or pessimistic about it don't live in areas like mine, have had little to no experience investing in areas like mine, so forth. On the other hand, we have had some good comments about good strategies to use in areas like mine from people who DO live or invest in these types of areas.

    So maybe you should look in the mirror and realize that there are many ways to make money investing in real estate - and just because you don't like one method doesn't mean it can't work

     Lmao. Alright I’m done trying to help you. The only reason why I mentioned my “success”  is cause I was trying to show you results since I figured that was the only way you would listen to people since you didn’t want to listen to myself or anyone else. If you notice majority of experienced people on here were trying to help you. Even people near your market... but two or three people that are in the same boat as you backed you up compared to 6+ other investors doesn’t fit your logic, that’s fine. 

    You probably didn’t even read my comment or you are the type to only see things that you like, but I’ll say it one more time people have different accounts. That Robinhood account roughly makes 1-1.5 k a month which is my active trading. I have passive investment accounts... also, that screen shot even shows $700 gain in less than a full day, but I guess you have narrow vision as well. 

    Good Luck though. Really do wish you succeed. Sucks seeing new investors waste money. 

     $700 in one day is not bad at all. I don’t think that’s consistent. I think you keep that screen shot handy to wave around when you need to remind yourself how good you think you are. I’d love to see some screenshots of your last open and closest positions on robinhood (should be easy, just look in the history section and it’ll show you). Maybe you’re lifetime balance snap shot. But I know you won’t post those. Because they wouldn’t support your figures you brag about.  But feel free to prove me wrong and I’ll gladly admit that you’re on to something. In fact, I’d even pay you for advice on how to generate 1-1.5k cash flow consistently per month with 2k balance in robinhood. 

    It’s not an us vs them battle here for which real estate investors have the best strategies. What I’m doing is not “wrong” in any sense of the word. I was born and raised in this type of real estate environment (high apprection). Why in the world WOULDNT I invest in my area for my primary? 

     Lol...Don't even know why I am playing along...

     I already admitted in taking a screenshot of that profit due to it being one of my highest trade... If you go back to my post, I told you I average about 20-25% a trade as a swing trader (I am guessing you don't know what that is since you were bringing up the PDT rule). It's options stock trading; look it up. That's a pretty common profit margin. Here I'll throw you a bone: I edited it and just showed percentage since it seems like the small cash amount doesn't excite you. Also, it was brought to my attention that I shouldn't be posting these kind of stuff in a public RE forums so this will be my last one. 

    Pretty sure you can do the math.

    And you are right, it is hard to keep this up and you can see the spikes and downs which is why I have multiple accounts and different source income. 

    So this is perfect, I would like EVERYONE reading this thread to take note that he is a fraud.

    That screenshot that you doctored up was pulled directly from reddit, from a user who posted over a year ago. This same user is discussing his strategy in that thread and i'll give you a wild guess as to if it's trading options or not. 

    It's not. His current strategy in that thread is trading gold ETFs. Here is the screen shot for proof, and i'll will most certainly be reporting this for abuse.

    Like I said, you are a fraud and are lying about your successes in here - for what purposes I honestly don't know

     Wow nice detective work! 

  • Investor · Jackson, MS · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 769 votes
    8y

     @Mike M. Compassion *is* a social issue. My son went back and forth between public and private schools. In Mississippi I sent him to a private prep school because it was Mississippi. Yes, the tuition about killed me but since he got a full scholarship an expensive liberal arts college (University of Richmond) it was worth it in the end. I didn't own any investment properties when my son was in school but I have no resentment whatsoever for the fact I'm paying to educate my tenant's children. It seems to me that is just part of the package. If they are paying the rent, then it is just, although I will sometimes remind a youngster who is screwing up in school that he is wasting my money. I can do that because I develop a relationship with those kids. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 104 posts · 44 votes
    8y

    @Nick Colvill I guess I should tell you what option trading is since you are not looking it up. 

    Option trading is a type of purchase (could be regular stocks, ETF, REIT, etc). I don't just buy into it, what option does is basically similar to lease to option in real estate, I go into a contract with a down payment to control 100s of shares that I wouldn't be able to buy if I just did regular trading. Price goes up, so the contract price goes up; when contract price goes up, I sell the contract to someone else.

    Really like that you have shown yourself to be an @ss labeling someone a fraud without doing your full research and you even said you were here to learn and I have told you in every post to look up what options were before coming at me. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 104 posts · 44 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @James Caruso:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    lol. Can’t believe this thread is still going. 

    Just let him be. He doesn’t take suggestion/criticism well. Plenty of people tried to help him out and give pointer and he shoots them down. 

     How do you feel I shot you down?

    You came on to this thread and immediately turned it in to your opinion on when the real estate market is going to see a downturn 

    Hard to see how that makes me the bad guy

     I was responding to what you were saying to those that posted before me. When one (experienced investor) started mentioning why he wouldn’t invest in that area (which is criticism). You started saying how he is pessimistic, and I came in telling you the reason why many investors would not want to invest in that area. 

    Then when others chimes in trying to tell you just banking on appreciation is not a good idea, you got defensive. After that, I showed you graphs and showed you results. without knowing how to trade options, stocks, or how the PDT rule work (day trading rule), you didn’t view me as a stock investor due to the fact that my trading account only had 2k when those 2k makes me more money than any other investment vehicles (read up on options trading since 2k leveraged actually is worth around 100-200k depending on stocks). And just for the record, I make 4K in just my stock investments a month. And about to start up my personal investment firm for real estate. 

    Investors have multiple accounts for asset protection, so most of the time investors on here propbably has 3-4 accounts in 2-5 different investment sectors. 

    Hopefully you can see why people are viewing you as a “bad guy” and reason why they are “bagging” on your success. Investment is not black and white; burning bridges as someone new to the investment world will hamper your ability to expand. 

     You seem to love talking about all of the ways you are amazing at what you do. 

    You should also write a book about how you make 4k a month on 2k in Robinhood - I would buy it

    As you have seen in this thread, there a many strategies to take advantage of when dealing with properties in a high appreciation area like mine. Also, note how the majority of you people who are negative or pessimistic about it don't live in areas like mine, have had little to no experience investing in areas like mine, so forth. On the other hand, we have had some good comments about good strategies to use in areas like mine from people who DO live or invest in these types of areas.

    So maybe you should look in the mirror and realize that there are many ways to make money investing in real estate - and just because you don't like one method doesn't mean it can't work

     Lmao. Alright I’m done trying to help you. The only reason why I mentioned my “success”  is cause I was trying to show you results since I figured that was the only way you would listen to people since you didn’t want to listen to myself or anyone else. If you notice majority of experienced people on here were trying to help you. Even people near your market... but two or three people that are in the same boat as you backed you up compared to 6+ other investors doesn’t fit your logic, that’s fine. 

    You probably didn’t even read my comment or you are the type to only see things that you like, but I’ll say it one more time people have different accounts. That Robinhood account roughly makes 1-1.5 k a month which is my active trading. I have passive investment accounts... also, that screen shot even shows $700 gain in less than a full day, but I guess you have narrow vision as well. 

    Good Luck though. Really do wish you succeed. Sucks seeing new investors waste money. 

     $700 in one day is not bad at all. I don’t think that’s consistent. I think you keep that screen shot handy to wave around when you need to remind yourself how good you think you are. I’d love to see some screenshots of your last open and closest positions on robinhood (should be easy, just look in the history section and it’ll show you). Maybe you’re lifetime balance snap shot. But I know you won’t post those. Because they wouldn’t support your figures you brag about.  But feel free to prove me wrong and I’ll gladly admit that you’re on to something. In fact, I’d even pay you for advice on how to generate 1-1.5k cash flow consistently per month with 2k balance in robinhood. 

    It’s not an us vs them battle here for which real estate investors have the best strategies. What I’m doing is not “wrong” in any sense of the word. I was born and raised in this type of real estate environment (high apprection). Why in the world WOULDNT I invest in my area for my primary? 

     Lol...Don't even know why I am playing along...

     I already admitted in taking a screenshot of that profit due to it being one of my highest trade... If you go back to my post, I told you I average about 20-25% a trade as a swing trader (I am guessing you don't know what that is since you were bringing up the PDT rule). It's options stock trading; look it up. That's a pretty common profit margin. Here I'll throw you a bone: I edited it and just showed percentage since it seems like the small cash amount doesn't excite you. Also, it was brought to my attention that I shouldn't be posting these kind of stuff in a public RE forums so this will be my last one. 

    Pretty sure you can do the math.

    And you are right, it is hard to keep this up and you can see the spikes and downs which is why I have multiple accounts and different source income. 

    So this is perfect, I would like EVERYONE reading this thread to take note that he is a fraud.

    That screenshot that you doctored up was pulled directly from reddit, from a user who posted over a year ago. This same user is discussing his strategy in that thread and i'll give you a wild guess as to if it's trading options or not. 

    It's not. His current strategy in that thread is trading gold ETFs. Here is the screen shot for proof, and i'll will most certainly be reporting this for abuse.

    Like I said, you are a fraud and are lying about your successes in here - for what purposes I honestly don't know

     Wow nice detective work! 

     Not really that good of a detective work... Found MY post on Reddit. See my respond to his "detective" work.

  • Real Estate Investor · Middle Island, NY · Member since 2016 · 147 posts · 68 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @James Caruso:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    lol. Can’t believe this thread is still going. 

    Just let him be. He doesn’t take suggestion/criticism well. Plenty of people tried to help him out and give pointer and he shoots them down. 

     How do you feel I shot you down?

    You came on to this thread and immediately turned it in to your opinion on when the real estate market is going to see a downturn 

    Hard to see how that makes me the bad guy

     I was responding to what you were saying to those that posted before me. When one (experienced investor) started mentioning why he wouldn’t invest in that area (which is criticism). You started saying how he is pessimistic, and I came in telling you the reason why many investors would not want to invest in that area. 

    Then when others chimes in trying to tell you just banking on appreciation is not a good idea, you got defensive. After that, I showed you graphs and showed you results. without knowing how to trade options, stocks, or how the PDT rule work (day trading rule), you didn’t view me as a stock investor due to the fact that my trading account only had 2k when those 2k makes me more money than any other investment vehicles (read up on options trading since 2k leveraged actually is worth around 100-200k depending on stocks). And just for the record, I make 4K in just my stock investments a month. And about to start up my personal investment firm for real estate. 

    Investors have multiple accounts for asset protection, so most of the time investors on here propbably has 3-4 accounts in 2-5 different investment sectors. 

    Hopefully you can see why people are viewing you as a “bad guy” and reason why they are “bagging” on your success. Investment is not black and white; burning bridges as someone new to the investment world will hamper your ability to expand. 

     You seem to love talking about all of the ways you are amazing at what you do. 

    You should also write a book about how you make 4k a month on 2k in Robinhood - I would buy it

    As you have seen in this thread, there a many strategies to take advantage of when dealing with properties in a high appreciation area like mine. Also, note how the majority of you people who are negative or pessimistic about it don't live in areas like mine, have had little to no experience investing in areas like mine, so forth. On the other hand, we have had some good comments about good strategies to use in areas like mine from people who DO live or invest in these types of areas.

    So maybe you should look in the mirror and realize that there are many ways to make money investing in real estate - and just because you don't like one method doesn't mean it can't work

     Lmao. Alright I’m done trying to help you. The only reason why I mentioned my “success”  is cause I was trying to show you results since I figured that was the only way you would listen to people since you didn’t want to listen to myself or anyone else. If you notice majority of experienced people on here were trying to help you. Even people near your market... but two or three people that are in the same boat as you backed you up compared to 6+ other investors doesn’t fit your logic, that’s fine. 

    You probably didn’t even read my comment or you are the type to only see things that you like, but I’ll say it one more time people have different accounts. That Robinhood account roughly makes 1-1.5 k a month which is my active trading. I have passive investment accounts... also, that screen shot even shows $700 gain in less than a full day, but I guess you have narrow vision as well. 

    Good Luck though. Really do wish you succeed. Sucks seeing new investors waste money. 

     $700 in one day is not bad at all. I don’t think that’s consistent. I think you keep that screen shot handy to wave around when you need to remind yourself how good you think you are. I’d love to see some screenshots of your last open and closest positions on robinhood (should be easy, just look in the history section and it’ll show you). Maybe you’re lifetime balance snap shot. But I know you won’t post those. Because they wouldn’t support your figures you brag about.  But feel free to prove me wrong and I’ll gladly admit that you’re on to something. In fact, I’d even pay you for advice on how to generate 1-1.5k cash flow consistently per month with 2k balance in robinhood. 

    It’s not an us vs them battle here for which real estate investors have the best strategies. What I’m doing is not “wrong” in any sense of the word. I was born and raised in this type of real estate environment (high apprection). Why in the world WOULDNT I invest in my area for my primary? 

     Lol...Don't even know why I am playing along...

     I already admitted in taking a screenshot of that profit due to it being one of my highest trade... If you go back to my post, I told you I average about 20-25% a trade as a swing trader (I am guessing you don't know what that is since you were bringing up the PDT rule). It's options stock trading; look it up. That's a pretty common profit margin. Here I'll throw you a bone: I edited it and just showed percentage since it seems like the small cash amount doesn't excite you. Also, it was brought to my attention that I shouldn't be posting these kind of stuff in a public RE forums so this will be my last one. 

    Pretty sure you can do the math.

    And you are right, it is hard to keep this up and you can see the spikes and downs which is why I have multiple accounts and different source income. 

    So this is perfect, I would like EVERYONE reading this thread to take note that he is a fraud.

    That screenshot that you doctored up was pulled directly from reddit, from a user who posted over a year ago. This same user is discussing his strategy in that thread and i'll give you a wild guess as to if it's trading options or not. 

    It's not. His current strategy in that thread is trading gold ETFs. Here is the screen shot for proof, and i'll will most certainly be reporting this for abuse.

    Like I said, you are a fraud and are lying about your successes in here - for what purposes I honestly don't know

     Wow nice detective work! 

     Not really that good of a detective work... Found MY post on Reddit. See my respond to his "detective" work.

     Understood, my apologies!

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 104 posts · 44 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @James Caruso:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @James Caruso:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    lol. Can’t believe this thread is still going. 

    Just let him be. He doesn’t take suggestion/criticism well. Plenty of people tried to help him out and give pointer and he shoots them down. 

     How do you feel I shot you down?

    You came on to this thread and immediately turned it in to your opinion on when the real estate market is going to see a downturn 

    Hard to see how that makes me the bad guy

     I was responding to what you were saying to those that posted before me. When one (experienced investor) started mentioning why he wouldn’t invest in that area (which is criticism). You started saying how he is pessimistic, and I came in telling you the reason why many investors would not want to invest in that area. 

    Then when others chimes in trying to tell you just banking on appreciation is not a good idea, you got defensive. After that, I showed you graphs and showed you results. without knowing how to trade options, stocks, or how the PDT rule work (day trading rule), you didn’t view me as a stock investor due to the fact that my trading account only had 2k when those 2k makes me more money than any other investment vehicles (read up on options trading since 2k leveraged actually is worth around 100-200k depending on stocks). And just for the record, I make 4K in just my stock investments a month. And about to start up my personal investment firm for real estate. 

    Investors have multiple accounts for asset protection, so most of the time investors on here propbably has 3-4 accounts in 2-5 different investment sectors. 

    Hopefully you can see why people are viewing you as a “bad guy” and reason why they are “bagging” on your success. Investment is not black and white; burning bridges as someone new to the investment world will hamper your ability to expand. 

     You seem to love talking about all of the ways you are amazing at what you do. 

    You should also write a book about how you make 4k a month on 2k in Robinhood - I would buy it

    As you have seen in this thread, there a many strategies to take advantage of when dealing with properties in a high appreciation area like mine. Also, note how the majority of you people who are negative or pessimistic about it don't live in areas like mine, have had little to no experience investing in areas like mine, so forth. On the other hand, we have had some good comments about good strategies to use in areas like mine from people who DO live or invest in these types of areas.

    So maybe you should look in the mirror and realize that there are many ways to make money investing in real estate - and just because you don't like one method doesn't mean it can't work

     Lmao. Alright I’m done trying to help you. The only reason why I mentioned my “success”  is cause I was trying to show you results since I figured that was the only way you would listen to people since you didn’t want to listen to myself or anyone else. If you notice majority of experienced people on here were trying to help you. Even people near your market... but two or three people that are in the same boat as you backed you up compared to 6+ other investors doesn’t fit your logic, that’s fine. 

    You probably didn’t even read my comment or you are the type to only see things that you like, but I’ll say it one more time people have different accounts. That Robinhood account roughly makes 1-1.5 k a month which is my active trading. I have passive investment accounts... also, that screen shot even shows $700 gain in less than a full day, but I guess you have narrow vision as well. 

    Good Luck though. Really do wish you succeed. Sucks seeing new investors waste money. 

     $700 in one day is not bad at all. I don’t think that’s consistent. I think you keep that screen shot handy to wave around when you need to remind yourself how good you think you are. I’d love to see some screenshots of your last open and closest positions on robinhood (should be easy, just look in the history section and it’ll show you). Maybe you’re lifetime balance snap shot. But I know you won’t post those. Because they wouldn’t support your figures you brag about.  But feel free to prove me wrong and I’ll gladly admit that you’re on to something. In fact, I’d even pay you for advice on how to generate 1-1.5k cash flow consistently per month with 2k balance in robinhood. 

    It’s not an us vs them battle here for which real estate investors have the best strategies. What I’m doing is not “wrong” in any sense of the word. I was born and raised in this type of real estate environment (high apprection). Why in the world WOULDNT I invest in my area for my primary? 

     Lol...Don't even know why I am playing along...

     I already admitted in taking a screenshot of that profit due to it being one of my highest trade... If you go back to my post, I told you I average about 20-25% a trade as a swing trader (I am guessing you don't know what that is since you were bringing up the PDT rule). It's options stock trading; look it up. That's a pretty common profit margin. Here I'll throw you a bone: I edited it and just showed percentage since it seems like the small cash amount doesn't excite you. Also, it was brought to my attention that I shouldn't be posting these kind of stuff in a public RE forums so this will be my last one. 

    Pretty sure you can do the math.

    And you are right, it is hard to keep this up and you can see the spikes and downs which is why I have multiple accounts and different source income. 

    So this is perfect, I would like EVERYONE reading this thread to take note that he is a fraud.

    That screenshot that you doctored up was pulled directly from reddit, from a user who posted over a year ago. This same user is discussing his strategy in that thread and i'll give you a wild guess as to if it's trading options or not. 

    It's not. His current strategy in that thread is trading gold ETFs. Here is the screen shot for proof, and i'll will most certainly be reporting this for abuse.

    Like I said, you are a fraud and are lying about your successes in here - for what purposes I honestly don't know

     Wow nice detective work! 

     Not really that good of a detective work... Found MY post on Reddit. See my respond to his "detective" work.

     Understood, my apologies!

     It's all good. Probably should start ignoring him. Getting way out of hand now when my first reply to his post was simply stating why other investors were wary of investing in his market, and why no cash flow could be bad investment. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 104 posts · 44 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Victor S.:

    To be fair, options trading is one of the riskiest strategies (from capital perspective) out there (basically gambling on timing and outcome). OP's appreciation strategy pales in comparison, imho. On the other hand, I wish I didn't close my snapchat puts so soon lol 

     Reason why I only put a small amount of money into it and draw profits out and put it in TDameritrade High dividend yielding stock account. Only reason why I was showing OP my trading account was cause he wasn't listening to economic advise with the stock market and reason why his area is very susceptible a bad investment when stock market crashes (manufacturing companies + stock market crash = job cuts) so I thought he would listen if he sees some results. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 46 posts · 26 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Victor S.:

    To be fair, options trading is one of the riskiest strategies (from capital perspective) out there (basically gambling on timing and outcome). OP's appreciation strategy pales in comparison, imho. On the other hand, I wish I didn't close my snapchat puts so soon lol 

     Reason why I only put a small amount of money into it and draw profits out and put it in TDameritrade High dividend yielding stock account. Only reason why I was showing OP my trading account was cause he wasn't listening to economic advise with the stock market and reason why his area is very susceptible a bad investment when stock market crashes (manufacturing companies + stock market crash = job cuts) so I thought he would listen if he sees some results. 

    You have an insane amount of audacity to try to pretend thats you here. I'll post that entire thread for you to read. This persons strategy is trading leveraged ETFs - NOT trading options on them, which is exactly what YOU say that YOU are doing

    https://www.reddit.com/r/RobinHood/comments/5ov9q0...

    He discusses the actual number of shares he is trading and so forth - NOT contracts for options

    You're a schmuck, a scam, a fraud, and now that you're caught with your pants down you are in full blown lie mode to see if you can save face

    GTFO man 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 104 posts · 44 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Victor S.:

    To be fair, options trading is one of the riskiest strategies (from capital perspective) out there (basically gambling on timing and outcome). OP's appreciation strategy pales in comparison, imho. On the other hand, I wish I didn't close my snapchat puts so soon lol 

     Reason why I only put a small amount of money into it and draw profits out and put it in TDameritrade High dividend yielding stock account. Only reason why I was showing OP my trading account was cause he wasn't listening to economic advise with the stock market and reason why his area is very susceptible a bad investment when stock market crashes (manufacturing companies + stock market crash = job cuts) so I thought he would listen if he sees some results. 

    You have an insane amount of audacity to try to pretend thats you here. I'll post that entire thread for you to read. This persons strategy is trading leveraged ETFs - NOT trading options on them, which is exactly what YOU say that YOU are doing

    https://www.reddit.com/r/RobinHood/comments/5ov9q0...

    He discusses the actual number of shares he is trading and so forth - NOT contracts for options

    You're a schmuck, a scam, a fraud, and now that you're caught with your pants down you are in full blown lie mode to see if you can save face

    GTFO man 

     I guess I’ll try to teach you one more time. Options are considered leaverage. I’m leaveraging my money to control a sizable share. 1 contract holds either 50 or 100 shares. I guess you don’t know a single thing about investing. Please do share how one would leaverage ETFs without options? I’m actually interested if there was a different way. 

    And now I’m truly done. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 46 posts · 26 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Victor S.:

    To be fair, options trading is one of the riskiest strategies (from capital perspective) out there (basically gambling on timing and outcome). OP's appreciation strategy pales in comparison, imho. On the other hand, I wish I didn't close my snapchat puts so soon lol 

     Reason why I only put a small amount of money into it and draw profits out and put it in TDameritrade High dividend yielding stock account. Only reason why I was showing OP my trading account was cause he wasn't listening to economic advise with the stock market and reason why his area is very susceptible a bad investment when stock market crashes (manufacturing companies + stock market crash = job cuts) so I thought he would listen if he sees some results. 

    You have an insane amount of audacity to try to pretend thats you here. I'll post that entire thread for you to read. This persons strategy is trading leveraged ETFs - NOT trading options on them, which is exactly what YOU say that YOU are doing

    https://www.reddit.com/r/RobinHood/comments/5ov9q0...

    He discusses the actual number of shares he is trading and so forth - NOT contracts for options

    You're a schmuck, a scam, a fraud, and now that you're caught with your pants down you are in full blown lie mode to see if you can save face

    GTFO man 

     I guess I’ll try to teach you one more time. Options are considered leaverage. I’m leaveraging my money to control a sizable share. 1 contract holds either 50 or 100 shares. I guess you don’t know a single thing about investing. Please do share how one would leaverage ETFs without options? I’m actually interested if there was a different way. 

    And now I’m truly done. 

     You’re embarrassing yourself with your lack of knowledge on leveraged ETFs and options 

    1) options contracts are 100 shares not 50. 

    2) leverages ETFs are NOT options. You trade leveraged ETFs like any other stock, by buying X number of shares. 

    3) they are called leveraged because they typically have 1, 2 and 3x responses to the underlying asset. For example a 3x leveraged gold etf will track the underlying asset (gold) and have a 3x response (up or down) to the actual movement of the hey underlying asset 

    Leveraged ETFs are NOT the same as trading options. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 104 posts · 44 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Victor S.:

    To be fair, options trading is one of the riskiest strategies (from capital perspective) out there (basically gambling on timing and outcome). OP's appreciation strategy pales in comparison, imho. On the other hand, I wish I didn't close my snapchat puts so soon lol 

     Reason why I only put a small amount of money into it and draw profits out and put it in TDameritrade High dividend yielding stock account. Only reason why I was showing OP my trading account was cause he wasn't listening to economic advise with the stock market and reason why his area is very susceptible a bad investment when stock market crashes (manufacturing companies + stock market crash = job cuts) so I thought he would listen if he sees some results. 

    You have an insane amount of audacity to try to pretend thats you here. I'll post that entire thread for you to read. This persons strategy is trading leveraged ETFs - NOT trading options on them, which is exactly what YOU say that YOU are doing

    https://www.reddit.com/r/RobinHood/comments/5ov9q0...

    He discusses the actual number of shares he is trading and so forth - NOT contracts for options

    You're a schmuck, a scam, a fraud, and now that you're caught with your pants down you are in full blown lie mode to see if you can save face

    GTFO man 

     I guess I’ll try to teach you one more time. Options are considered leaverage. I’m leaveraging my money to control a sizable share. 1 contract holds either 50 or 100 shares. I guess you don’t know a single thing about investing. Please do share how one would leaverage ETFs without options? I’m actually interested if there was a different way. 

    And now I’m truly done. 

     You’re embarrassing yourself with your lack of knowledge on leveraged ETFs and options 

    1) options contracts are 100 shares not 50. 

    2) leverages ETFs are NOT options. You trade leveraged ETFs like any other stock, by buying X number of shares. 

    3) they are called leveraged because they typically have 1, 2 and 3x responses to the underlying asset. For example a 3x leveraged gold etf will track the underlying asset (gold) and have a 3x response (up or down) to the actual movement of the hey underlying asset 

    Leveraged ETFs are NOT the same as trading options. 

     Ummmmm... ok, did you look that up in google? At least we are getting somewhere. Now if you want to leaverage those ETFs (which are already leaverage) what do you do? 

    Since contracts are 100 share how do you get lower shares to minimize risk? (Look up synthetic straddle strategy). 

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 208 posts · 157 votes
    8y

    I don't know all the terms, many acronyms, and financial terms you guys are babbling on about. 

    But your title, "Can I keep this up??

    My guess is that unless you are making 100's of thousands of dollars/year through your W-2-..... you will not be able to continue to buy $1,000,000 primaries in the Bay Area, vacation rentals in Tahoe, or duplexes in Seattle. I understand those properties/geographies would likely continue to appreciate.... but at some point you'll need cashflow to sustain/grow.... and I don't see those types of properties/purchases translating to cashflow. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 46 posts · 26 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Victor S.:

    To be fair, options trading is one of the riskiest strategies (from capital perspective) out there (basically gambling on timing and outcome). OP's appreciation strategy pales in comparison, imho. On the other hand, I wish I didn't close my snapchat puts so soon lol 

     Reason why I only put a small amount of money into it and draw profits out and put it in TDameritrade High dividend yielding stock account. Only reason why I was showing OP my trading account was cause he wasn't listening to economic advise with the stock market and reason why his area is very susceptible a bad investment when stock market crashes (manufacturing companies + stock market crash = job cuts) so I thought he would listen if he sees some results. 

    You have an insane amount of audacity to try to pretend thats you here. I'll post that entire thread for you to read. This persons strategy is trading leveraged ETFs - NOT trading options on them, which is exactly what YOU say that YOU are doing

    https://www.reddit.com/r/RobinHood/comments/5ov9q0...

    He discusses the actual number of shares he is trading and so forth - NOT contracts for options

    You're a schmuck, a scam, a fraud, and now that you're caught with your pants down you are in full blown lie mode to see if you can save face

    GTFO man 

     I guess I’ll try to teach you one more time. Options are considered leaverage. I’m leaveraging my money to control a sizable share. 1 contract holds either 50 or 100 shares. I guess you don’t know a single thing about investing. Please do share how one would leaverage ETFs without options? I’m actually interested if there was a different way. 

    And now I’m truly done. 

     You’re embarrassing yourself with your lack of knowledge on leveraged ETFs and options 

    1) options contracts are 100 shares not 50. 

    2) leverages ETFs are NOT options. You trade leveraged ETFs like any other stock, by buying X number of shares. 

    3) they are called leveraged because they typically have 1, 2 and 3x responses to the underlying asset. For example a 3x leveraged gold etf will track the underlying asset (gold) and have a 3x response (up or down) to the actual movement of the hey underlying asset 

    Leveraged ETFs are NOT the same as trading options. 

     Ummmmm... ok, did you look that up in google? At least we are getting somewhere. Now if you want to leaverage those ETFs (which are already leaverage) what do you do? 

    Since contracts are 100 share how do you get lower shares to minimize risk? (Look up synthetic straddle strategy). 

     You asked me how to leverage ETFs without options. (Dumb question)

    I just told you; don’t need to trade options on a leveraged etf to trade leveraged etfs. So you learned something been today. 

    You still claim to be this person who made the other post even though you say you are trading options on leveraged etfs and he clearly explains how many shares he is trading, he is simply trading leveraged ETFs, not trading options on them 

    And lastly, as you know, robinhood didn’t have the function of trading options a year ago. The post in Reddit is over a year old. They recently rolled out the option to trade options in 2018. So you literally COULD NOT trade options on robinhood a year ago, further solidying that you ARENT the one who made that reddit thread

    You also decided to black out parts of the picture in this thread. If that old thread was also you, why didn’t you black out there? 

    One screen shot you provided in this thread had a t mobile signal. This picture is att. (Let me guess, you must’ve switched carriers)

    I also asked you for your all time profit snap shot, and you decided to provide us with a snapshot that you claim to have taken but from over a year ago? Why nothing more recent?

    Honestly you’re blowing smoke just come clean so you don’t ruin the rest of whatever credibility remains 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 104 posts · 44 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Victor S.:

    To be fair, options trading is one of the riskiest strategies (from capital perspective) out there (basically gambling on timing and outcome). OP's appreciation strategy pales in comparison, imho. On the other hand, I wish I didn't close my snapchat puts so soon lol 

     Reason why I only put a small amount of money into it and draw profits out and put it in TDameritrade High dividend yielding stock account. Only reason why I was showing OP my trading account was cause he wasn't listening to economic advise with the stock market and reason why his area is very susceptible a bad investment when stock market crashes (manufacturing companies + stock market crash = job cuts) so I thought he would listen if he sees some results. 

    You have an insane amount of audacity to try to pretend thats you here. I'll post that entire thread for you to read. This persons strategy is trading leveraged ETFs - NOT trading options on them, which is exactly what YOU say that YOU are doing

    https://www.reddit.com/r/RobinHood/comments/5ov9q0...

    He discusses the actual number of shares he is trading and so forth - NOT contracts for options

    You're a schmuck, a scam, a fraud, and now that you're caught with your pants down you are in full blown lie mode to see if you can save face

    GTFO man 

     I guess I’ll try to teach you one more time. Options are considered leaverage. I’m leaveraging my money to control a sizable share. 1 contract holds either 50 or 100 shares. I guess you don’t know a single thing about investing. Please do share how one would leaverage ETFs without options? I’m actually interested if there was a different way. 

    And now I’m truly done. 

     You’re embarrassing yourself with your lack of knowledge on leveraged ETFs and options 

    1) options contracts are 100 shares not 50. 

    2) leverages ETFs are NOT options. You trade leveraged ETFs like any other stock, by buying X number of shares. 

    3) they are called leveraged because they typically have 1, 2 and 3x responses to the underlying asset. For example a 3x leveraged gold etf will track the underlying asset (gold) and have a 3x response (up or down) to the actual movement of the hey underlying asset 

    Leveraged ETFs are NOT the same as trading options. 

     Ummmmm... ok, did you look that up in google? At least we are getting somewhere. Now if you want to leaverage those ETFs (which are already leaverage) what do you do? 

    Since contracts are 100 share how do you get lower shares to minimize risk? (Look up synthetic straddle strategy). 

     You asked me how to leverage ETFs without options. (Dumb question)

    I just told you; don’t need to trade options on a leveraged etf to trade leveraged etfs. So you learned something been today. 

    You still claim to be this person who made the other post even though you say you are trading options on leveraged etfs and he clearly explains how many shares he is trading, he is simply trading leveraged ETFs, not trading options on them 

    And lastly, as you know, robinhood didn’t have the function of trading options a year ago. The post in Reddit is over a year old. They recently rolled out the option to trade options in 2018. So you literally COULD NOT trade options on robinhood a year ago, further solidying that you ARENT the one who made that reddit thread

    You also decided to black out parts of the picture in this thread. If that old thread was also you, why didn’t you black out there? 

    One screen shot you provided in this thread had a t mobile signal. This picture is att. (Let me guess, you must’ve switched carriers)

    I also asked you for your all time profit snap shot, and you decided to provide us with a snapshot that you claim to have taken but from over a year ago? Why nothing more recent?

    Honestly you’re blowing smoke just come clean so you don’t ruin the rest of whatever credibility remains 

     Why yes I did.

    But you are right, I am a fraud =/ you got me. Guess I don't know anything about investing. 

  • Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 7 votes
    8y
    @Nick Colvill you have A LOT of time on your hands! Must be nice sitting at home while your spouse makes all the money.
  • WorldWide · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Nicolas Casebolt:
    @Nick Colvill you have A LOT of time on your hands! Must be nice sitting at home while your spouse makes all the money.

     That's what equality looks like!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 46 posts · 26 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Nicolas Casebolt:
    @Nick Colvill you have A LOT of time on your hands! Must be nice sitting at home while your spouse makes all the money.

    Whoa nice to see someone new jump in the thread with guns a-blazing! 

    She is on maternity leave and i'm taking on less work for the next month since i'm self-employed and can fortunately make my own schedule, but unfortunately don't pay extra in to any PFL funds and won't get any paternity leave

  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 46 posts · 26 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Victor S.:

    To be fair, options trading is one of the riskiest strategies (from capital perspective) out there (basically gambling on timing and outcome). OP's appreciation strategy pales in comparison, imho. On the other hand, I wish I didn't close my snapchat puts so soon lol 

     Reason why I only put a small amount of money into it and draw profits out and put it in TDameritrade High dividend yielding stock account. Only reason why I was showing OP my trading account was cause he wasn't listening to economic advise with the stock market and reason why his area is very susceptible a bad investment when stock market crashes (manufacturing companies + stock market crash = job cuts) so I thought he would listen if he sees some results. 

    You have an insane amount of audacity to try to pretend thats you here. I'll post that entire thread for you to read. This persons strategy is trading leveraged ETFs - NOT trading options on them, which is exactly what YOU say that YOU are doing

    https://www.reddit.com/r/RobinHood/comments/5ov9q0...

    He discusses the actual number of shares he is trading and so forth - NOT contracts for options

    You're a schmuck, a scam, a fraud, and now that you're caught with your pants down you are in full blown lie mode to see if you can save face

    GTFO man 

     I guess I’ll try to teach you one more time. Options are considered leaverage. I’m leaveraging my money to control a sizable share. 1 contract holds either 50 or 100 shares. I guess you don’t know a single thing about investing. Please do share how one would leaverage ETFs without options? I’m actually interested if there was a different way. 

    And now I’m truly done. 

     You’re embarrassing yourself with your lack of knowledge on leveraged ETFs and options 

    1) options contracts are 100 shares not 50. 

    2) leverages ETFs are NOT options. You trade leveraged ETFs like any other stock, by buying X number of shares. 

    3) they are called leveraged because they typically have 1, 2 and 3x responses to the underlying asset. For example a 3x leveraged gold etf will track the underlying asset (gold) and have a 3x response (up or down) to the actual movement of the hey underlying asset 

    Leveraged ETFs are NOT the same as trading options. 

     Ummmmm... ok, did you look that up in google? At least we are getting somewhere. Now if you want to leaverage those ETFs (which are already leaverage) what do you do? 

    Since contracts are 100 share how do you get lower shares to minimize risk? (Look up synthetic straddle strategy). 

     You asked me how to leverage ETFs without options. (Dumb question)

    I just told you; don’t need to trade options on a leveraged etf to trade leveraged etfs. So you learned something been today. 

    You still claim to be this person who made the other post even though you say you are trading options on leveraged etfs and he clearly explains how many shares he is trading, he is simply trading leveraged ETFs, not trading options on them 

    And lastly, as you know, robinhood didn’t have the function of trading options a year ago. The post in Reddit is over a year old. They recently rolled out the option to trade options in 2018. So you literally COULD NOT trade options on robinhood a year ago, further solidying that you ARENT the one who made that reddit thread

    You also decided to black out parts of the picture in this thread. If that old thread was also you, why didn’t you black out there? 

    One screen shot you provided in this thread had a t mobile signal. This picture is att. (Let me guess, you must’ve switched carriers)

    I also asked you for your all time profit snap shot, and you decided to provide us with a snapshot that you claim to have taken but from over a year ago? Why nothing more recent?

    Honestly you’re blowing smoke just come clean so you don’t ruin the rest of whatever credibility remains 

     Why yes I did.

    But you are right, I am a fraud =/ you got me. Guess I don't know anything about investing. 

     "You still claim to be this person who made the other post even though you say you are trading options on leveraged etfs and he clearly explains how many shares he is trading, he is simply trading leveraged ETFs, not trading options on them

    And lastly, as you know, robinhood didn’t have the function of trading options a year ago. The post in Reddit is over a year old. They recently rolled out the option to trade options in 2018. So you literally COULD NOT trade options on robinhood a year ago, further solidying that you ARENT the one who made that reddit thread"

    care to touch on any of these?

    you literally talked up a HUGE game about how good you are with stocks but don't even understand

    1) how many shares are in an options contract

    "in the United states, options contracts are not only for a minimum of 100 shares, contracts are generally always for exactly 100 shares. You buy or sell one contract for every 100 shares — and there is no convenient way to have options on other than a multiple of 100 shares."

    2) how leveraged ETFs work, claiming that you can NOT trade leveraged ETF's without trading options

    3) Robinhood didn't have the options of trading options last year, so how did you magically do that? In fact, why are you supposedly in that old reddit thread talking about actually trading and having knowledge of leveraged ETF's, but HERE you talk about trading options on them and you speak as if you have no clue how leveraged ETFs work

    Come clean man I won't hold it against you

  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 46 posts · 26 votes
    8y

    Well, his account is now closed

    I guess that solves that mystery

    To everyone else on this thread - I truly enjoy your perspectives and inputs, even when there are clashing opinions. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 46 posts · 26 votes
    8y

    Regarding the appreciation of my primary - I am leaning towards having my first purchase next year made with a mix of liquid cash and HELOC against the primary.

    I like the idea of using my own equity as opposed to using hard money or private lenders, etc in order to finance the initial purchase. 

    This would be the first step in the BRRRRRRRR strategy

    What are you guys' thoughts on HELOC vs outside sources for the down payment?

    My initial concern is that I plan to do a multi-family unit that is as expensive as 1.2m ish. I really WANT to go to places like Houston, but think it would be smart to start with something close enough for me to drive, but outside my area for lower prices. I'm looking primarily in Sacramento county. The concern is that there won't be enough appreciation within the first year to refi and payback the heloc. 

    Most HELOCs are interest only payments and i'd rather not have to pay the HELOC interest for 2-3 years while waiting for the property to appreciate - it sounds like 1 year is a good benchmark to aim for.

    Is the combination of affordable rehab and increasing the rents over that year span typically good enough to build enough equity to pay back to initial funding source? I know the location will also play a big part in that. 

    I also hear that below 4 units the appraisal will be more based on the comps in the area, while above that will have the appraisal include the income of the property. 

    Which have you guys seen faster equity build in, assuming you do small rehab and increase rents in both scenarios (below 4 units and above)?

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    lol. Can’t believe this thread is still going. 

    Just let him be. He doesn’t take suggestion/criticism well. Plenty of people tried to help him out and give pointer and he shoots them down. 

     How do you feel I shot you down?

    You came on to this thread and immediately turned it in to your opinion on when the real estate market is going to see a downturn 

    Hard to see how that makes me the bad guy

     I was responding to what you were saying to those that posted before me. When one (experienced investor) started mentioning why he wouldn’t invest in that area (which is criticism). You started saying how he is pessimistic, and I came in telling you the reason why many investors would not want to invest in that area. 

    Then when others chimes in trying to tell you just banking on appreciation is not a good idea, you got defensive. After that, I showed you graphs and showed you results. without knowing how to trade options, stocks, or how the PDT rule work (day trading rule), you didn’t view me as a stock investor due to the fact that my trading account only had 2k when those 2k makes me more money than any other investment vehicles (read up on options trading since 2k leveraged actually is worth around 100-200k depending on stocks). And just for the record, I make 4K in just my stock investments a month. And about to start up my personal investment firm for real estate. 

    Investors have multiple accounts for asset protection, so most of the time investors on here propbably has 3-4 accounts in 2-5 different investment sectors. 

    Hopefully you can see why people are viewing you as a “bad guy” and reason why they are “bagging” on your success. Investment is not black and white; burning bridges as someone new to the investment world will hamper your ability to expand. 

     You seem to love talking about all of the ways you are amazing at what you do. 

    You should also write a book about how you make 4k a month on 2k in Robinhood - I would buy it

    As you have seen in this thread, there a many strategies to take advantage of when dealing with properties in a high appreciation area like mine. Also, note how the majority of you people who are negative or pessimistic about it don't live in areas like mine, have had little to no experience investing in areas like mine, so forth. On the other hand, we have had some good comments about good strategies to use in areas like mine from people who DO live or invest in these types of areas.

    So maybe you should look in the mirror and realize that there are many ways to make money investing in real estate - and just because you don't like one method doesn't mean it can't work

     Lmao. Alright I’m done trying to help you. The only reason why I mentioned my “success”  is cause I was trying to show you results since I figured that was the only way you would listen to people since you didn’t want to listen to myself or anyone else. If you notice majority of experienced people on here were trying to help you. Even people near your market... but two or three people that are in the same boat as you backed you up compared to 6+ other investors doesn’t fit your logic, that’s fine. 

    You probably didn’t even read my comment or you are the type to only see things that you like, but I’ll say it one more time people have different accounts. That Robinhood account roughly makes 1-1.5 k a month which is my active trading. I have passive investment accounts... also, that screen shot even shows $700 gain in less than a full day, but I guess you have narrow vision as well. 

    Good Luck though. Really do wish you succeed. Sucks seeing new investors waste money. 

     $700 in one day is not bad at all. I don’t think that’s consistent. I think you keep that screen shot handy to wave around when you need to remind yourself how good you think you are. I’d love to see some screenshots of your last open and closest positions on robinhood (should be easy, just look in the history section and it’ll show you). Maybe you’re lifetime balance snap shot. But I know you won’t post those. Because they wouldn’t support your figures you brag about.  But feel free to prove me wrong and I’ll gladly admit that you’re on to something. In fact, I’d even pay you for advice on how to generate 1-1.5k cash flow consistently per month with 2k balance in robinhood. 

    It’s not an us vs them battle here for which real estate investors have the best strategies. What I’m doing is not “wrong” in any sense of the word. I was born and raised in this type of real estate environment (high apprection). Why in the world WOULDNT I invest in my area for my primary? 

     A reason I didn't invest here for my primary is the fact I can rent cheaper than a comparable property would cost in ownership. With the down payment money I didn't spend I invested some of it and set aside some just in case I change my mind. My rent is 2700, I make about 400/ door after normal expenses (I have set amount of $ for reserves so I don't take that out and I self manage). 

    There's also a big value (to me) in the flexability of renting, I'm free to go as I please. My concern with buying here is if life happens and I'm forced to sale during a downturn or before I've had a chance to recoup my fees I'd be in a bad spot. On the flip side my rentals are nice enough if for one reason or another I had to move in on one of them I could effectively have a roof over my family's head for no money out of pocket.

    I will lose the appreciation game with out a doubt as my Midwest properties will never appreciate on the same scale as something in the Bay area would, but i never intended them to.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Victor S.:

    To be fair, options trading is one of the riskiest strategies (from capital perspective) out there (basically gambling on timing and outcome). OP's appreciation strategy pales in comparison, imho. On the other hand, I wish I didn't close my snapchat puts so soon lol 

     Reason why I only put a small amount of money into it and draw profits out and put it in TDameritrade High dividend yielding stock account. Only reason why I was showing OP my trading account was cause he wasn't listening to economic advise with the stock market and reason why his area is very susceptible a bad investment when stock market crashes (manufacturing companies + stock market crash = job cuts) so I thought he would listen if he sees some results. 

    You have an insane amount of audacity to try to pretend thats you here. I'll post that entire thread for you to read. This persons strategy is trading leveraged ETFs - NOT trading options on them, which is exactly what YOU say that YOU are doing

    https://www.reddit.com/r/RobinHood/comments/5ov9q0...

    He discusses the actual number of shares he is trading and so forth - NOT contracts for options

    You're a schmuck, a scam, a fraud, and now that you're caught with your pants down you are in full blown lie mode to see if you can save face

    GTFO man 

     I guess I’ll try to teach you one more time. Options are considered leaverage. I’m leaveraging my money to control a sizable share. 1 contract holds either 50 or 100 shares. I guess you don’t know a single thing about investing. Please do share how one would leaverage ETFs without options? I’m actually interested if there was a different way. 

    And now I’m truly done. 

     You’re embarrassing yourself with your lack of knowledge on leveraged ETFs and options 

    1) options contracts are 100 shares not 50. 

    2) leverages ETFs are NOT options. You trade leveraged ETFs like any other stock, by buying X number of shares. 

    3) they are called leveraged because they typically have 1, 2 and 3x responses to the underlying asset. For example a 3x leveraged gold etf will track the underlying asset (gold) and have a 3x response (up or down) to the actual movement of the hey underlying asset 

    Leveraged ETFs are NOT the same as trading options. 

     Ummmmm... ok, did you look that up in google? At least we are getting somewhere. Now if you want to leaverage those ETFs (which are already leaverage) what do you do? 

    Since contracts are 100 share how do you get lower shares to minimize risk? (Look up synthetic straddle strategy). 

     You asked me how to leverage ETFs without options. (Dumb question)

    I just told you; don’t need to trade options on a leveraged etf to trade leveraged etfs. So you learned something been today. 

    You still claim to be this person who made the other post even though you say you are trading options on leveraged etfs and he clearly explains how many shares he is trading, he is simply trading leveraged ETFs, not trading options on them 

    And lastly, as you know, robinhood didn’t have the function of trading options a year ago. The post in Reddit is over a year old. They recently rolled out the option to trade options in 2018. So you literally COULD NOT trade options on robinhood a year ago, further solidying that you ARENT the one who made that reddit thread

    You also decided to black out parts of the picture in this thread. If that old thread was also you, why didn’t you black out there? 

    One screen shot you provided in this thread had a t mobile signal. This picture is att. (Let me guess, you must’ve switched carriers)

    I also asked you for your all time profit snap shot, and you decided to provide us with a snapshot that you claim to have taken but from over a year ago? Why nothing more recent?

    Honestly you’re blowing smoke just come clean so you don’t ruin the rest of whatever credibility remains 

     Honestly man, as an outside neutral  3rd party -- you come off looking worse than he does on this.  If you think he's full of crap -- cool.  You can say that and just ignore him from then on, or just shrug it off.  You're falling into the same trap that Trump makes on his twitter rampages. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 46 posts · 26 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Cody L.:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Nick Colvill:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Victor S.:

    To be fair, options trading is one of the riskiest strategies (from capital perspective) out there (basically gambling on timing and outcome). OP's appreciation strategy pales in comparison, imho. On the other hand, I wish I didn't close my snapchat puts so soon lol 

     Reason why I only put a small amount of money into it and draw profits out and put it in TDameritrade High dividend yielding stock account. Only reason why I was showing OP my trading account was cause he wasn't listening to economic advise with the stock market and reason why his area is very susceptible a bad investment when stock market crashes (manufacturing companies + stock market crash = job cuts) so I thought he would listen if he sees some results. 

    You have an insane amount of audacity to try to pretend thats you here. I'll post that entire thread for you to read. This persons strategy is trading leveraged ETFs - NOT trading options on them, which is exactly what YOU say that YOU are doing

    https://www.reddit.com/r/RobinHood/comments/5ov9q0...

    He discusses the actual number of shares he is trading and so forth - NOT contracts for options

    You're a schmuck, a scam, a fraud, and now that you're caught with your pants down you are in full blown lie mode to see if you can save face

    GTFO man 

     I guess I’ll try to teach you one more time. Options are considered leaverage. I’m leaveraging my money to control a sizable share. 1 contract holds either 50 or 100 shares. I guess you don’t know a single thing about investing. Please do share how one would leaverage ETFs without options? I’m actually interested if there was a different way. 

    And now I’m truly done. 

     You’re embarrassing yourself with your lack of knowledge on leveraged ETFs and options 

    1) options contracts are 100 shares not 50. 

    2) leverages ETFs are NOT options. You trade leveraged ETFs like any other stock, by buying X number of shares. 

    3) they are called leveraged because they typically have 1, 2 and 3x responses to the underlying asset. For example a 3x leveraged gold etf will track the underlying asset (gold) and have a 3x response (up or down) to the actual movement of the hey underlying asset 

    Leveraged ETFs are NOT the same as trading options. 

     Ummmmm... ok, did you look that up in google? At least we are getting somewhere. Now if you want to leaverage those ETFs (which are already leaverage) what do you do? 

    Since contracts are 100 share how do you get lower shares to minimize risk? (Look up synthetic straddle strategy). 

     You asked me how to leverage ETFs without options. (Dumb question)

    I just told you; don’t need to trade options on a leveraged etf to trade leveraged etfs. So you learned something been today. 

    You still claim to be this person who made the other post even though you say you are trading options on leveraged etfs and he clearly explains how many shares he is trading, he is simply trading leveraged ETFs, not trading options on them 

    And lastly, as you know, robinhood didn’t have the function of trading options a year ago. The post in Reddit is over a year old. They recently rolled out the option to trade options in 2018. So you literally COULD NOT trade options on robinhood a year ago, further solidying that you ARENT the one who made that reddit thread

    You also decided to black out parts of the picture in this thread. If that old thread was also you, why didn’t you black out there? 

    One screen shot you provided in this thread had a t mobile signal. This picture is att. (Let me guess, you must’ve switched carriers)

    I also asked you for your all time profit snap shot, and you decided to provide us with a snapshot that you claim to have taken but from over a year ago? Why nothing more recent?

    Honestly you’re blowing smoke just come clean so you don’t ruin the rest of whatever credibility remains 

     Honestly man, as an outside neutral  3rd party -- you come off looking worse than he does on this.  If you think he's full of crap -- cool.  You can say that and just ignore him from then on, or just shrug it off.  You're falling into the same trap that Trump makes on his twitter rampages. 

    Point taken, thank you

    I've never done well with someone blatantly lying and have a bad habit of not letting it go - nothing irks me more than that kind of stuff. In this case, I was right about him and although i'm satisfied that I feel I came out on top of that exchange, I unfortunately lose ground in the bigger picture 

  • Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 7 votes
    8y
    @Nick Colvill you have been going against everything people say that is not your opinion. You come off as strange and insecure. To most people your “investment” strategy seems idiotic. Which is fine not everyone has the same idea/plan. If you don’t agree with someone just move on and say point taken. Also doesn’t make sense to buy a house and then a vacation spot but have to wait a year to maybe invest in a rental property. Also how/why would you take a equity loan to purchase a rental? You only put 10% down. If you have the liquid cash like you say you do then A) why would you only put 10% down on a primary residence B) why then would you have to borrow against that property to invest in a rental? Something is not adding up. Either you don’t have the money or you have A LOT to learn. Seeing how you respond to everyone’s advice I doubt you will learn.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.