First deal under contract

First deal under contract

Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 4 votes

Please help me analyze my first deal which I am currently under contract for and will have an inspection on tomorrow. I am having trouble finding comps since there are not many triplexes sold near this area. I was unable to see the property until I put it under contract. During my first walk-through, I realized that it may need a new roof (judging from my untrained eye.) My plan is to lower my offer based on inspection. I will also live in one unit for at least a year while doing any necessary cosmetic work to raise rents to market rates. My boyfriend & I will also pay myself rent to add to savings for reserves. My goal is to at least lower my current living expenses ($800/mo) until I move out and start cash flowing.

Offer Price: 185,000

FHA 30yr loan amount: $181, 649

Interest rate: 5.125%All units 2bd/1b w/ 1 car garage 

Current Monthly rent:

Unit A : I will live in. Currently rents at $725

Unit B: $685; lease expires April 2019

Unit C: $625; lease expires April 2019

Opportunity to increase rents after April (Avg rent in area $750 for 2bdrm.)

Taxes: $222

Mortgage Insurance: $126

P&I: $989.06

Closing costs: $9,568

Potential Operating Income: $27,000

Operating Expenses

Property Mgmt (10%) - (2700)

Water (currently paid by landlord -only one meter) - ($1839)

Vacancy (8%) - ($2,160)

Maintenance (10%) - ($2700)

CapEx (10%) - ($2700)

https://www.trulia.com/p/ga/conyers/1724-wesley-wa...

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated.

0Reply
24 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Corvallis, OR · Member since 2018 · 840 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    @Toi Perry is the location considered good or sub par? Location is always a key. Also if rents can go up it sounds better than what in find on the west coast. It would be a wonderful idea to use the inspection to your advantage. I have done many deals where I used legit inspection findings to drive the price down. If you don’t have 3-5 years on a roof your FHA loan may have a issue. Overall the place looks nice and clean. You can do well over the 1% rule and that’s why I ask about the stability of the neighbirhiod. If a B or C type property or lower ? The potential to raise rents is the key and also make sure you pay yourself market rent and save that into an account. Hope that helps. Todd
  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 4 votes
    7y
    @Todd Powell The property is definitely in a B area. Thank you for your reply. I will definitely use the inspection to my advantage and pay myself market rent.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.