Duplex in Detroit [Calc Review] Help me analyze this deal

Duplex in Detroit [Calc Review] Help me analyze this deal

Detroit, MI · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 7 votes

View report

*This link comes directly from our calculators, based on information input by the member who posted.

Hi BP Community!

I am currently planning my first house hack in the Detroit area. May I ask all of your opinions on this deal?

The listing price is $90k. I was thinking of using FHA loan, so, I only need to put 3.5% down. But, I read through a couple of blog posts that if I want to use FHA loan, there is an insurance premium that I need to pay upfront (I assume 1.5% from the total Loan Value). I also assume my PMI to be $100 and my insurance to be $120. I also assume total rehab to be $3000, thinking that I might need to buy dishwasher, refrigerator, washing and dryer machine for both units (one for myself and one for the rental unit).

The rental rate for the other unit is assumed to be $1000/month. However, based on the analysis, I produce negative cashflow for this property. In order for it to be positive cashflow, the price should go down to around $78k assuming the rental rate is still the same.

I know that if I put 20% down and rent both units, this property will actually give me a pretty good cash flow.

Is it normal to have a negative cash flow (at least for the 1st year) with FHA loan? Or should I modify my assumption or calculation?

What are all your thoughts about this? Thank you again for all the help BP!

Cheers,

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 384 posts · 149 votes
7y

@Geoffrey Tanudjaja it is very normal to have negative cash flow with a 2 unit if you're occupying one unit.  I suggest underwriting the deal based off of both units being occupied at current market rates.  If the property cash flows and the return is near 10% I say you are looking at a decent deal.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 124 posts · 53 votes
    7y
    @Geoffrey Tanudjaja I am pretty sure you missed the closing cost which is usually 2500-4000 depending where the house is
  • Member since 2018 · 124 posts · 53 votes
    7y
    @Geoffrey Tanudjaja If you will be living next door why not manage yourself and then you have a positive cash flow Even If you cant manage it will take 10 years to get to a positive cash flow However your free rent is also a value
  • Detroit, MI · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    Hi @Shmuel Waldman,

    Thank you for your comment. I talked to my loan officer about the closing cost and he told me that the closing cost will be covered by the seller (I'm not sure how reliable is this), that's why I assume I don't have any closing cost.

  • Real Estate Broker · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 384 posts · 149 votes
    7y

    @Geoffrey Tanudjaja it is very normal to have negative cash flow with a 2 unit if you're occupying one unit.  I suggest underwriting the deal based off of both units being occupied at current market rates.  If the property cash flows and the return is near 10% I say you are looking at a decent deal.

  • Detroit, MI · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    @Jabari Long Sounds good! I'll edit the report and see how much cash flow I got from this property.

    Thank you for your suggestions Jabari!

    Cheers,

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.